CBS says UGA loss should end it

Key word in that article is "should". It's just click bait and you fell for it. Yesterday the team was flat. It happens, especially with a big game last week and another one next week. Even the fans were flat. I'm beginning to wonder if Tennessee fans deserve a winning football team. Players are affected by your negativity. When you say you support the team, but not the coaches, you are lying. The coaches are part of the team. Is there a point in a coaching tenure that a change becomes necessary? Yes, it happened here with Bowden Wyatt, Bill Battle, and Derek Dooley. Are we at that point with Butch Jones? Not even close. If you're not on board with this coaching staff, you're part of the problem.

If you are satisfied with this, then ok: Florida (1-4), Alabama (0-4), Georgia (2-2), Vanderbilt (2-2), Kentucky (4-0), South Carolina (3-1), Missouri (2-2).

Reactions: 8 people
Key word in that article is "should". It's just click bait and you fell for it. Yesterday the team was flat. It happens, especially with a big game last week and another one next week. Even the fans were flat. I'm beginning to wonder if Tennessee fans deserve a winning football team. Players are affected by your negativity. When you say you support the team, but not the coaches, you are lying. The coaches are part of the team. Is there a point in a coaching tenure that a change becomes necessary? Yes, it happened here with Bowden Wyatt, Bill Battle, and Derek Dooley. Are we at that point with Butch Jones? Not even close. If you're not on board with this coaching staff, you're part of the problem.

So the fans are to blame Butch has hit his ceiling here? His career average for wins per season is 7.3, so maybe we are asking way to much of him.

Reactions: 1 person

Your points while noble do not reflect the reality of today's landscape of big time college football. Whether we like it or not this is a consumer driven business. If you talk to Bama fans, some will admit that their program was on the brink of losing its fan base in Shula's last year. Many had lost faith that the Bama powers that be could hire a quality head coach. Their management decided that they wouldn't take any less than the best. This was over 11 years ago and the rest is history with numerous SEC and multiple national championships. At one time Tennessee was looked at as a program on par with Alabama. I assure you that is no longer the case. Personally, I believe Jones is not as good a coach as Shula. Even he beat Tennessee a couple of times.

Reactions: 3 people
Your points while noble do not reflect the reality of today's landscape of big time college football. Whether we like it or not this is a consumer driven business. If you talk to Bama fans, some will admit that their program was on the brink of losing its fan base in Shula's last year. Many had lost faith that the Bama powers that be could hire a quality head coach. Their management decided that they wouldn't take any less than the best. This was over 11 years ago and the rest is history with numerous SEC and multiple national championships. At one time Tennessee was looked at as a program on par with Alabama. I assure you that is no longer the case. Personally, I believe Jones is not as good a coach as Shula. Even he beat Tennessee a couple of times.

Butch Jones is a great recruiter, I think he really believes in his system to a fault and that will be his demise here. He would rather lose doing what he believes in rather than win with conventional wisdom. He's a horrible game manager and just has no feel for the game. He had these same issues at cincy

Reactions: 9 people
I don't want it to happen mid year. Kids might rally behind the interim and Currie be fooled into hiring the interim as the permanent HC like the debacle happening at LSU right now.

Reactions: 11 people
I think every AD in the country has taken notes on the LSU situation

You would think that every AD has a manual somewhere that's titled, "Don't pull a Tennessee!" But alas, apparently the folks at LSU lost theirs. They did exactly what we did. I think they will pay for it exactly like we have.

Reactions: 3 people
agree or disagree, Salee has no dog in the fight, and nothing invested in this program, other than his hurt feelings from two years ago. he comes off as having an axe to grind, not sure why.

which leads me to believe he's just another, in a long line of, internet bloggers that fundamentally believe...it bleeds it leads. and no one is bleeding more than CBJ right now.

click away. and this has nothing to do with whether you think he's right or wrong.

If this is the guy that Josh and Will has on every Friday then he is a complete idiot. Never coached a peewee game in his life but knows everything about coaching a major college football team. When he comes on I turn the radio.

Bye-week, mid-season, end-of-season...pfft.

The Monday after the debacle at S. Carolina last year would have been too inspired, but the Vandy collapse was the perfect opportunity. Especially considering what was on the line...a NO Sugar Bowl for the long suffering orange masses.

In light of the Dores and Shurmer's total ineptitude yesterday, I vote for jumping in the Wayback Machine and firing Butch after the reg season last year.

Reactions: 2 people
Butch was the right guy at the right time, but he is maxed out at 8-9 wins. Im not a fan of the constant insulting of fans intelligence either. I agree 100% with the article.

Reactions: 4 people
I can't start new threads anymore so I will just leave this here.

https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/college-gameday-team/amp

Interesting the article states we are looking for instant gratification. It's year five. I think most of us have been very patient with Butch. All most of us are looking for is to come out and solidly beat the teams you're supposed to, don't blow two touchdown 4th quarter leads, beat a rival when they're not very good (FLA, SCar, Vandy) and be competitive with the really good teams (Bama).

Reactions: 6 people
Don't agree with the article. I'm as disappointed as anyone with the teams play and Butch Jones, but I don't see any way he doesn't get all of 2017 and likely 2018 as well. Just no way Currie's firing him next weekend no matter the outcome of the Georgia game imo.

Butch was the right guy at the right time, but he is maxed out at 8-9 wins. Im not a fan of the constant insulting of fans intelligence either. I agree 100% with the article.

You're dead on right with your first 2 sentences, couldn't agree more. Third sentence....perhaps that should happen, just don't think it will.

If we go to an interim coach, there is only one coach on the current staff who is doing an excellent job: Robert Gillespie.
While this is 100% true. I'm not sure he would want to risk tarnishing his reputation as an excellent RB coach, in order to coach the entire team. I don't think I would anyway.

A Georgia loss wouldn't end it. But we'd need to beat Bama or LSU plus the rest of the games on our schedule

my big thing is the contingency plan. I just hope that we don't screw ourselves if/when we make a change. That might be asking a lot though...

VN Store

Back