Colin Cowherd: UT should give Gruden $10 Million

I'm curious why people are so sure of this.

I get the excitement part. But he hasn't coached in college since 1991 and hasn't been in coaching period since 2008. Can he recruit?

Know I'm going to be in the minority on this one, but I think his NFL tenure is mildly overrated. What he did in Oakland (taking a mediocre-to-bad team into the playoffs) is actually more impressive than what he did in Tampa. He won a Super Bowl there in his first year with a historically good defense someone else assembled, then was completely mediocre after that for several years. Didn't win a single playoff game after that SB.

IMO his biggest asset starting out would be notoriety. He could recruit with Alabamas and OSUs the moment he stepped on campus. Also, he has the ability to bring in the actual BSIA. Coaches would be lining up to join him. And then of course there is the fact that he is a great X and Os guy, bleeds football, and is actually a great coach. We would get good fast

But he ain't coming

Reactions: 1 person
Go up $15 a ticket for each game.
100,000 x$15 is 1.5 million a game,
7 games a season at 1.5 a game is 10.5 million. Problem solved and Gruden head coach.

How do we know for sure Grudem would make a good college coach? Just trying to bring some logic to the board

Paying a coach of Gruden's quality $10 million per year is more "realistic" than people think. However, the Gruden train passed by a long time ago. He's been out of coaching for 8 years and has one of the cushiest jobs in American sports.

Would you rather make $5 million working part-time in a low-stress job talking about football all day or $10 million in a high-stress job where you work 24/7/365 and your every decision is micro-analyzed? Even if he could make a slight bit more money coaching, Gruden basically has the "dream job" right now, and he'd be wise to never leave it.

Not to mention his endorsement money.

Not even Nick Saban is worth 10 MILLION A YEAR. That's freaking insane to give a chunk load of money to a Coach who doesn't have any college experience.

I agree but I'm one of those that think professional athletes are INSANELY over paid to play a friggin game... That being said, that's where it's headed. It won't be long before you see HC's banking that kind of money..

Not even Nick Saban is worth 10 MILLION A YEAR. That's freaking insane to give a chunk load of money to a Coach who doesn't have any college experience.

Are you Freaking STUPID?? Saban is a like a CD for Bama that has an Annual Yield of 500%+!!

A 12 month CD pays about 1% at the Bank. If Saban wanted $25MM AL would be give it to him!

Reactions: 2 people
Are you Freaking STUPID?? Saban is a like a CD for Bama that has an Annual Yield of 500%+!!

A 12 month CD pays about 1% at the Bank. If Saban wanted $25MM AL would be give it to him!

Except Saban has proven he can dominate the College Level! Gruden has never coached in college and some of our fans are already assuming he'll be the next greatest thing to ever happen to Tennesee without any legitimate proof that he can succeed here???

I wasn't talking about Gruden!! :banghead2:

You just mentioned Saban in your post saying that he deserves a good chunk of load of money. Well Duh! He's won 5 National Titles at Bama so what makes you think Gruden deserves the same amount of money without any college experience whatsoever? Just because he won a Super Bowl with another coach's players?

You just mentioned Saban in your post saying that he deserves a good chunk of load of money. Well Duh! He's won 5 National Titles at Bama so what makes you think Gruden deserves the same amount of money without any college experience whatsoever? Just because he won a Super Bowl with another coach's players?

The whole "another coaches players" isn't really a valid argument for the NFL.

Reactions: 2 people
Why is Cowherd obsessed with the Vols right now? He's just mad we smoked NW last year

Off season. Cowherd needs to generate clicks for slow cycle. Knows he can fill some air time talking about the craziness that is VN. And more he talks, the more craziness, more clicks. VN is job security.

Gruden would not be working that much, he would do what we want Butch to do. He would let the coordinators and assistants do what they want and would probably work with the quarterbacks. He would go to high profile recruits to get them but he would hire great recruiters and great coaches.

You guys talking this stuff again? Guess cowturd got what he wanted. This forum is like the movie Ground Hog Day

VN Store

Back