Colin Cowherd: UT should give Gruden $10 Million

I don't think Gruene is all that as a coach. He won super bowl with Tony Dungy's players. Even some of the prolific coaches on this board could have guided that tram to the super bowl. They pretty mUchiha tanked after that. The telling thing to me was when Gruene was bad mouthed in the press by a former player, none of his other players publicly stood up for him.

I don't think Gruene is all that as a coach. He won super bowl with Tony Dungy's players. Even some of the prolific coaches on this board could have guided that tram to the super bowl. They pretty mUchiha tanked after that. The telling thing to me was when Gruene was bad mouthed in the press by a former player, none of his other players publicly stood up for him.

Exactly but somehow we're the dumb ones when we try to explain that to some of our fans.

Agree. Gruden isn't worth $10M. The man hasn't coached in 9 years. Hasn't recruited in this era of college football. Jay Gruden would probably be a better gamble at this point.

You can look at Nike contracts and understand that it would be completely reasonable to pay Gruden $10 million per year. Tennessee's Nike contract is worth $35 million. Michigan's Nike contract is worth $169 million just by bringing in a prolific name like Harbaugh. Gruden is just as big a name, if not bigger and could easily increase Tennessee's contract to $100+ million. Already making his $10 million salary well worth it.

I don't think it will ever happen, but there is significant value in the big name hire before you ever see on field performance.

Reactions: 1 person
Witch Doctor and every one knows our administration wouldnt pay 5 million , much less 10 further proof Cowherd does not research what he talks about. Witch Doctor also say they cant even hire the AD....the one EVERYONE wants..theyd screw it up
Bones Never Lie.

Reactions: 2 people
Is it cheaper to pay a great coach 10 million and win Or pay a mid level coach 4 million plus his buy out when he doesn't, along with the new coach you have to hire?

Anybody know how much UT has spent on Fulmers and Dooleys buy out the past 10 years?

Reactions: 2 people
Hmm. I like Gruden but if you're going to pay 10 million a year I'd rather go after Meyer, Harbaugh, Shaw, Carroll, Peterson, Kelly, etc. Heck you could argue getting a guy like Peterson or Kelly at 6-8 million and having the highest assistant salary pool would be better than Gruden. This is just bs to generate discussion for Cowherd but if we're talking actual scenarios that I would much favor to Gruden.

You can look at Nike contracts and understand that it would be completely reasonable to pay Gruden $10 million per year. Tennessee's Nike contract is worth $35 million. Michigan's Nike contract is worth $169 million just by bringing in a prolific name like Harbaugh. Gruden is just as big a name, if not bigger and could easily increase Tennessee's contract to $100+ million. Already making his $10 million salary well worth it.

I don't think it will ever happen, but there is significant value in the big name hire before you ever see on field performance.

Hiring a big time coach automatically generates income from boosters, ticket sales, merchandise sales, bowl games, and basically pays for recruits without actually paying for them Auburn style. Hiring an elite coach to secure that revenue stream to a university is the smartest investment that can be made but alas we're always going to be small minded, cheap and sink into mediocrity.

Yet another idiot that just assumes Gruden would be a good coach. Hilarious. I would give Saban or Meyer that much. No way would I give Gruden that much.

Do we always have to use terms like idiot, moron, etc. when we disagree with each other? Are we vocabularily challenged?

Vocabularily isn't a word is it?

Reactions: 3 people
I'm curious why people are so sure of this.

I get the excitement part. But he hasn't coached in college since 1991 and hasn't been in coaching period since 2008. Can he recruit?

Know I'm going to be in the minority on this one, but I think his NFL tenure is mildly overrated. What he did in Oakland (taking a mediocre-to-bad team into the playoffs) is actually more impressive than what he did in Tampa. He won a Super Bowl there in his first year with a historically good defense someone else assembled, then was completely mediocre after that for several years. Didn't win a single playoff game after that SB.

But he had a limp arm QB

The NFL is completely different from College. If we're going to go that route then Nick Saban must suck if he couldn't cut it in the NFL.

Yeah they're kind of independent of each other. Mike Sherman was a good NFL coach. He sucked in college though.

VN Store

Back