Mel Kiper: Jalen Hurd rated the 3rd best RB prospect in the 2017 Draft

Am I the only one that thinks Chubb is just a little overrated? He's coming off a horrific injury and no one knows how he will be. I'm in a wait and see mode with him.

Overrated ONLY in terms of how he comes back from the injury IMO......NOT because how talented he is and the production he's put up as a freshman and sophomore.

Overrated ONLY in terms of how he comes back from the injury IMO......NOT because how talented he is and the production he's put up as a freshman and sophomore.

I'm not questioning the talent but you have to think how he will be mentally. We all saw what happened to Justin Hunter when he came back. Yeah he had good stats but he left a lot of plays on the field because he was thinking about his knee. Maybe Chubb will come back in prime form but if he's thinking about his knee at all he will not be nearly as good as he was pre-injury. All I'm saying is let's just pump the brakes a little. I for one am hoping we see him at his best this year and that he's at 100% so when we shut him and that offense down it will be that much sweeter.

I'm not questioning the talent but you have to think how he will be mentally. We all saw what happened to Justin Hunter when he came back. Yeah he had good stats but he left a lot of plays on the field because he was thinking about his knee. Maybe Chubb will come back in prime form but if he's thinking about his knee at all he will not be nearly as good as he was pre-injury. All I'm saying is let's just pump the brakes a little. I for one am hoping we see him at his best this year and that he's at 100% so when we shut him and that offense down it will be that much sweeter.

Good points.

Jalen is good and probably underappreciated a bit by people outside of the SEC, but I don't think he's a 1st rounder....he lacks the burst of Gurley, Elliott, Fournette etc. Imo..

Agree, But if keeps on this trend he could be 1, 2 best in 2018 draft

I am in wait and see as well but if Chubb comes back even to 80% of what he originally was, that still makes him one of the best RBs in the country. So a little overrated? Not in my opinion.

It'll take a while for Chubb to get back to his old self if ever. Bustin'a wheel is no small issue.

I'm agreeing with you. Medical technology is amazing and should get his knee back to 100%....but as you said, it's the other intangibles no one can know until we see how he actually plays. That being said, if he's 100% physically, emotionally and mentally, he's easily the second best back in the SEC behind Fournette IMHO.

In this day and age isn't really isn't a huge deal anymore.

Physically he will be better, but it's the psychological aspect that these players are worried about. He's been out for almost a year and he doesn't want to reinjure it. He will definitely be holding back a bit.

5 running a backs taken in the first round of the last 5 drafts COMBINED. You can keep saying it but it doesn't make it true. The NFL game has changed and RBs just aren't valued nearly as high as they used to be, it's a fact. Teams value qbs, OL, DEs abd CBs much more highly and will wait until the later rounds to draft RBs.....RBs that would've been taken much earlier 10-12 years ago.

You're assuming 2017 is like any other year. Its unique. We haven't seen this many high quality RBs coming out at the same time since 2008 when 5 RBs went in the 1st round.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Jalen ahead of Dalvin Cook? Nah.

Dalvin Cook is barely 200 lbs and can't run between the tackles. He's a good back but could end up like Reggie Bush in the pros. Simply a utility player but not a dominant all around RB.

Hurd is easily the better RB prospect.

So basically you're saying this class will be better than 2008? When 5 RBs went in the first, (McFadden, Felix Jones, Mendenhall, Chris Johnson and Jonathan Stewart). Its possible but highly unlikely. I love Hurd but what you just will not accept and what has been pointed out to you time after time, is that Hurd lacks that top end gear. Henry has it. McFadden, Gurley, Elliot, Johnson, Stewart, Chubb and Fournett have/had it. Hurd just doesnt. Its no knock on him at all. As a matter of fact, his speed is very impressive given his size. Hurd will have to have a monumental season to go in the 1st round imo. I think he goes late second round. Which is very good.

Who cares about pure top end speed? He's better than those guys at everything else. He's got great intial burst. Great power. Great agility. Great vision.

Hurd is elite at everything. Plus I don't think we've seen his true top end speed yet. I think he breaks a lot of long runs this year.

Be grateful you're watching the two best football players in the country in the same backfield. Dobbs and Hurd.

Chubb is overrated. He's compared to Fournette (which is a joke). And considered better than Hurd (which is an even bigger joke).

Chubb is Doug Martin 2.0. Good back no doubt. But he aint transcendent.

Fournette is the second coming of Bo Jackson while Hurd is something we've never seen before. I call him the Calvin Johnson of RBs. A freakish supersized athlete for his position.

You're smoking crack.

Deshaun Watson and Chad Kelly go before Dobbs

Deshaun Watson? maybe.

Chad Kelly? Hell no.

Kelly is not very good. He's kinda short for the position. He's listed at 6'2" but barely looks 6'1". Last year he got lucky a bunch just throwing it up for grabs and having his extremely talented WRs make plays for him. He also has significant off field issues and doesn't seem like the type of leader you want at the position.

Am I the only one that thinks Chubb is just a little overrated? He's coming off a horrific injury and no one knows how he will be. I'm in a wait and see mode with him.

You can't OVER or UNDER rate him at this point. Lot of unknown going on here. Most are basing outlook on the player preinjury...which was pretty epic.

When no one is quoting him, it's whole pages of ignored messages. :lol:

Deshaun Watson? maybe.

Chad Kelly? Hell no.

Kelly is not very good. He's kinda short for the position. He's listed at 6'2" but barely looks 6'1". Last year he got lucky a bunch just throwing it up for grabs and having his extremely talented WRs make plays for him. He also has significant off field issues and doesn't seem like the type of leader you want at the position.

Wrong. Chad Kelly will be taken before Dobbs. Take it to the bank....

See how annoying it is D4H

With a similar number of carries to last year, Hurd will need to run for 1600 yards in 2016 to even be considered for the first round. That's what it will take to get beyond 5 yards per carry for his career. Even then, second is more likely. If he runs for less than 1500, then you can pencil him in for the third.

VN Store

Back