Mel Kiper: Jalen Hurd rated the 3rd best RB prospect in the 2017 Draft

I personally don't think Jalen is the third best RB in the country and I don't think he will be a first round pick but hope to be proven wrong because it'll be great for both him and the program. All jmo of course.

Disagree on the first part. But I think your second part could very well be true either way.

If Hurd has a big year and then he goes to the combine at 6'4" and 240 and runs somewhere in the 4.45 range at the combine he will be hard for NFL teams to pass up.

He is a completely different prospect than these other guys at RB. You get a guy who can pass protect, catch passes out of the backfield, outrun linebackers, and beat DBs with size and strength. He's a Swiss army knife.

Let's see the production and the measurables and the sky is the limit. Someone will draft him and use the heck out of him.

Reactions: 3 people
Jalen is good and probably underappreciated a bit by people outside of the SEC, but I don't think he's a 1st rounder....he lacks the burst of Gurley, Elliott, Fournette etc. Imo..

Is that his burst, or the fact that those guys were running behind more experienced lines?

Nobody complained about a lack of burst when he was in HS. And if you haven't seen his videos of him on a treadmill? Looks like he has plenty of burst.

Once this season is done, I don't think Jalen Hurd and a lack of burst will belong in the same sentence. Especially if the line can give him one or two more steps.

With a similar number of carries to last year, Hurd will need to run for 1600 yards in 2016 to even be considered for the first round. That's what it will take to get beyond 5 yards per carry for his career. Even then, second is more likely. If he runs for less than 1500, then you can pencil him in for the third.
Thanks for the info, bama's board is down the hall and to the left. Please pull the trigger all the way this time.

Reactions: 4 people
First off..Hurd will not be in the 17 Draft even if he gets projected as a first rounder. He comes from good parents who know that degree is too important, and I think he would want his senior year to set all the RB records as high as possible.

It is no small thing to be the best RB in history at a school with as long and strong of a football history as Tennessee.

To pass all of that up for a quick paycheck, when his family is not hurting for mone would be a mistake.

It would be different if his family was extremely poor and all hopes for a future of any kind were riding on his shoulders.

He will have a phenomenal year..but his senior season, when we have a new QB, so therefor need to rely on the run a little more..and he is not splitting yards with kamara..and Dobbs for that matter.

That will be the year he will truly have a shot at the Heisman, a bunch of all time rushing records..and would definitely be a first rounder..

JMHO

I love Hurd but saying he should easily go ahead of Chubb is pretty foolish. He may very well surpass Chubb but it won't be easy.

Chubb is a wild card right now. He has to physically, mentally and emotionally recover from his horrific injury. I think he eventually will but it may take the better part of a season to get to where he last peaked at before getting hurt.

First off..Hurd will not be in the 17 Draft even if he gets projected as a first rounder. He comes from good parents who know that degree is too important, and I think he would want his senior year to set all the RB records as high as possible.

It is no small thing to be the best RB in history at a school with as long and strong of a football history as Tennessee.

To pass all of that up for a quick paycheck, when his family is not hurting for mone would be a mistake.

It would be different if his family was extremely poor and all hopes for a future of any kind were riding on his shoulders.

He will have a phenomenal year..but his senior season, when we have a new QB, so therefor need to rely on the run a little more..and he is not splitting yards with kamara..and Dobbs for that matter.

That will be the year he will truly have a shot at the Heisman, a bunch of all time rushing records..and would definitely be a first rounder..

JMHO

Miles on a running back matter. Nor is it a sign of bad parenting if he leaves. You can always come back and get the degree.

Reactions: 1 person
Miles on a running back matter. Nor is it a sign of bad parenting if he leaves. You can always come back and get the degree.

Miles on a RB are all the more reason to finish school, as they usually have shorter careers then other positions.

Never said it was bad parenting if he did go..but his parents taught him the importance of a good education.

Miles on a RB are all the more reason to finish school, as they usually have shorter careers then other positions.

Never said it was bad parenting if he did go..but his parents taught him the importance of a good education.

No the miles are all the reason to go early. Get it while you can. Once again you can go play in the league and then finish school. Millions of dollars and the key for these guys is getting to the second contract as early as possible.

Last edited:

JMHO

I'm with you that he will not enter the draft but for a different reason. I think he wants to be regarded as the greatest RB in UT history without a doubt in anyone's mind and will stay his senior year so he can obliterate the school rushing record to where nobody else will have a chance of breaking it. He's a very competitive person and wants to be the best.

I'm with you that he will not enter the draft but for a different reason. I think he wants to be regarded as the greatest RB in UT history without a doubt in anyone's mind and will stay his senior year so he can obliterate the school rushing record to where nobody else will have a chance of breaking it. He's a very competitive person and wants to be the best.

You know this for a fact, or did you just dream that up?

If Hurd gets a 2nd round grade he's gone.

You know this for a fact, or did you just dream that up?

If Hurd gets a 2nd round grade he's gone.

I would put money down that he doesn't..just because it is something you would do, or the logic is sound in your mind, does not mean it is to him.

I would bet that he easily gets at least a second round grade, and stays for his senior year anyway.

And because of that, will hold almost all RB records at UT for a long time.

What exactly makes Henry better than Hurd? Why is everyone so sold on Chubb being clearly better than Hurd? Hurd could be better than both of them. I saw Hurd stumble on a treadmill at warp speed & I saw Henry stumble over something that was laying on the ground. I've seen no one particular play where Chubb shows he is capable of being a better overall back than Hurd. I've seen Hurd dare a Georgia player to blitz Dobbs. I saw Chubb get twisted up and hurt on the first damn play of the game. I think Hurd will have his best season as a Junior and prove he is a candidate for top back in this league. Watching Fournette against the Alabama defense and comparing it to Hurd against the Tide left a clear impression on me. Hurd is the real deal. And Mr. Leonard has some competition for that top spot.

Smart man right here.

I would put money down that he doesn't..just because it is something you would do, or the logic is sound in your mind, does not mean it is to him.

I would bet that he easily gets at least a second round grade, and stays for his senior year anyway.

And because of that, will hold almost all RB records at UT for a long time.

He will break a ton of records this year, needing only 800 or so yards to be the leading rusher in UT history. If he goes for 1,200 like last year he's got the record by 400+.

Hurd pretty much was the primary back since he stepped foot on campus. It's gonna be a long time before someone breaks his record. Why would he stay to just keep piling on numbers instead of dollar bills??

VN Store

Back