Mel Kiper: Jalen Hurd rated the 3rd best RB prospect in the 2017 Draft

With a similar number of carries to last year, Hurd will need to run for 1600 yards in 2016 to even be considered for the first round. That's what it will take to get beyond 5 yards per carry for his career. Even then, second is more likely. If he runs for less than 1500, then you can pencil him in for the third.

Lol. Stats have very little impact on draft projection. If they did your boy Henry would be a top 10 pick. But he went 2nd round cause his tape was not that good.

Hurd has impressive tape. If he duplicates his play from 2015, he'll easily go in the 1st round.

I personally expect him to take his game to the next level like he did in the bowl game against Northwestern. Once that happens, he'll be a top 15 pick.

Reactions: 2 people
You're really not as good at spotting talent as you think you are. Kelvin Taylor comes to mind...

By the way, do you know the definitions of narcissism and arrogance?

I actually think Kelvin Taylor will prove to be one of my best finds. Also Kevin Hogan. Both will be long time starters in the NFL. Especially Taylor.

I actually think Kelvin Taylor will prove to be one of my best finds. Also Kevin Hogan. Both will be long time starters in the NFL. Especially Taylor.

Well, the drafts experts that had the same eye for talent that just said Jalen Hurd is a top 3 RB are the same guys that barely had Taylor getting drafted last year, so I don't buy your talent.

This guy also said back in 2011 that Jake locker was a "Lock"to be the #1 player picked in the draft.Also claimed him to be the best qb.I dont disagree with his assessment hurds a beast,but his word is nowhere close to gospel.

I know you like to tout yourself as this talent savant, but I just don't buy it.

Not only do I see Chad Kelly getting drafted before Dobbs, but so will Brad Kaaya

Ding ding ding, we have a winner. Kaaya is my pick to be the best QB in the 2017 draft when all is said and done. Luke Faulk and Baker Mayfield will probably go ahead of Dobbs. And I don't want to hear that height crap, Kelly and Mayfield are both taller than Brees and Wilson.

Reactions: 1 person
You're assuming 2017 is like any other year. Its unique. We haven't seen this many high quality RBs coming out at the same time since 2008 when 5 RBs went in the 1st round.

I'm saying 5 years is a trend, a strong trend, and while there are some very talented RBs coming out, the 2017 crop of RBs is not far from the norm. The likelihood of there being 3 RBs taken in the first round, much less 5 (lol!) is very low.

YOUR "best finds"? What? Are you a scout or the GM for the 49ers?

You do know that Taylor played in the SEC.....a ton of us saw him play and know that he's a pretty talented kid (nothing like his father Fred though) with good quickness and decent burst. He didn't exactly play at Sam Houston State or somewhere like that.

Last edited:
I love Hurd, and I hope he has a great season and gets drafted in the 1st round if he decides to come out. But, he's got a lot of talented running backs to compete with if he does come out. Cook at FSU and Chubb at UGA are both higher rated backs. I would be very surprised if Hurd gets picked before either

I love Hurd but saying he should easily go ahead of Chubb is pretty foolish. He may very well surpass Chubb but it won't be easy.

I'm not hating on Nick, but Jalen is a more complete back. On a somewhat related note, I saw a 30 for 30 about the Chubb family. How his family were former slaves who started their own community, Chubb Town, in Georgia. After seeing it, I'm rooting for the young man.The rest of his team can kick rocks. GBO

I'm saying 5 years is a trend, a strong trend, and while there are some very talented RBs coming out, the 2017 crop of RBs is not far from the norm. The likelihood of there being 3 RBs taken in the first round, much less 5 (lol!) is very low.

Prepare to be educated then.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner. Kaaya is my pick to be the best QB in the 2017 draft when all is said and done. Luke Faulk and Baker Mayfield will probably go ahead of Dobbs. And I don't want to hear that height crap, Kelly and Mayfield are both taller than Brees and Wilson.

Lol. Both those guys have noodle arms. They'll be lucky to get drafted.

I think you guys need to realize those air raid systems produce artificial numbers that don't reflect the skill level of the player.

You gotta watch the tape and see if the throws they're making are the type of throws NFL teams make. Falk and Mayfield simply don't have the arms to make NFL throws.

What exactly makes Henry better than Hurd? Why is everyone so sold on Chubb being clearly better than Hurd? Hurd could be better than both of them. I saw Hurd stumble on a treadmill at warp speed & I saw Henry stumble over something that was laying on the ground. I've seen no one particular play where Chubb shows he is capable of being a better overall back than Hurd. I've seen Hurd dare a Georgia player to blitz Dobbs. I saw Chubb get twisted up and hurt on the first damn play of the game. I think Hurd will have his best season as a Junior and prove he is a candidate for top back in this league. Watching Fournette against the Alabama defense and comparing it to Hurd against the Tide left a clear impression on me. Hurd is the real deal. And Mr. Leonard has some competition for that top spot.

Reactions: 4 people
the fact that its such a strong RB group is gonna hurt his draft stock. fournette will go high then teams that need a RB will think they can get a great one round 2 and talents that would go higher in most years will fall. Hurd i think will go rd 2. first round talent though

I think Jalen is a very good running back, but I'm sorry, before the injury chub was an absolute beast! I think if he comes back 100% he will definitely be top 2. Jalen is great but i think high second round. And dobbs, i like the kid, but if he still throws the same this year maybe 3rd round but probably 4th. I would be shocked if he is taken in the 2nd. This class just really doesn't have a lot of great qbs. Now defensive end on the other hand, look for corey vareen to raise his stock quite a bit this year.no offense to anyone, just my opinion.

Jalen is good and probably underappreciated a bit by people outside of the SEC, but I don't think he's a 1st rounder....he lacks the burst of Gurley, Elliott, Fournette etc. Imo..

Brother he is underappreciated, overlooked and underrated by talking heads within the SEC. I'm with the OP on Hurd. IMO he doesn't lack burst but he may lack a little wiggle/shiftyness like Kamara. But his size and power he runs with makes DB's not want any part of him come the 2nd half. So I guess I am saying I am impressed with Hurd and if I was a NFL GM and needed a RB, Jalen would be on my list and a total steal in the 2nd round.

Reactions: 2 people
Brother he is underappreciated, overlooked and underrated by talking heads within the SEC. I'm with the OP on Hurd. IMO he doesn't lack burst but he may lack a little wiggle/shiftyness like Kamara. But his size and power he runs with makes DB's not want any part of him come the 2nd half. So I guess I am saying I am impressed with Hurd and if I was a NFL GM and needed a RB, Jalen would be on my list and a total steal in the 2nd round.

Him and Barnett are both underlooked nationally

VN Store

Back