Mel Kiper: Jalen Hurd rated the 3rd best RB prospect in the 2017 Draft

Is that his burst, or the fact that those guys were running behind more experienced lines?

Nobody complained about a lack of burst when he was in HS. And if you haven't seen his videos of him on a treadmill? Looks like he has plenty of burst.

Once this season is done, I don't think Jalen Hurd and a lack of burst will belong in the same sentence. Especially if the line can give him one or two more steps.

Plus it's hard to build up speed getting the ball from a shotgun handoff. All the other top RBs (Fournette, Cook, Chubb) run out of pro sets rather than the spread.

Hurd needs to be in a pro style set to show his true explosiveness. Remember the bowl game when we ran out of the I formation?

Hurd is plenty explosive like you said. And I think he shows it this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Plus it's hard to build up speed getting the ball from a shotgun handoff. All the other top RBs (Fournette, Cook, Chubb) run out of pro sets rather than the spread.

Hurd needs to be in a pro style set to show his true explosiveness. Remember the bowl game when we ran out of the I formation?

Hurd is plenty explosive like you said. And I think he shows it this year.

This is probably the most level-headed post I've ever seen from you. Good job

You know this for a fact, or did you just dream that up?

If Hurd gets a 2nd round grade he's gone.

No it's just my opinion. Everyone has one. You happen to think he's gone. I happen to think he's staying. Did we not all think Peyton was gone after his junior year? I'm just saying that I believe he wants to be remembered as the greatest back in UT history and the way to do that is to come back and make the rushing record untouchable. Plain as that. If he doesn't stay then good for him. I'm all for people making money and chasing their dreams and if that's what he wants to do then go for it. It wouldn't upset me at all. I'll be proud of him either way.

Reactions: 1 person
No it's just my opinion. Everyone has one. You happen to think he's gone. I happen to think he's staying. Did we not all think Peyton was gone after his junior year? I'm just saying that I believe he wants to be remembered as the greatest back in UT history and the way to do that is to come back and make the rushing record untouchable. Plain as that. If he doesn't stay then good for him. I'm all for people making money and chasing their dreams and if that's what he wants to do then go for it. It wouldn't upset me at all. I'll be proud of him either way.

No, I didnt say he was gone, I said if he gets a 2nd round grade he's gone. Try and keep up.

No, I didnt say he was gone, I said if he gets a 2nd round grade he's gone. Try and keep up.

Well according to article he does have a 2nd round grade considering he's the 3rd rated back. No reason to be an arse about it. You have your opinion and I have mine. There's nothing wrong with what you're saying because he could choose to go pro. But he very well could decide to come back too. Why is that so hard to understand?

I would put money down that he doesn't..just because it is something you would do, or the logic is sound in your mind, does not mean it is to him.

I would bet that he easily gets at least a second round grade, and stays for his senior year anyway.

And because of that, will hold almost all RB records at UT for a long time.

I wouldn't.

This years RB class might be the best ever. I think 4-5 go in the first round. With Hurd definitely being among them.
****, accidental like. I agree with the fact that it's a killer RB class, but no way 4-5 go in the first round. I will gladly eat crow if I'm wrong. In today's game, RB's don't get picked in the first round of the draft like they used too...the game has changed.

****, accidental like. I agree with the fact that it's a killer RB class, but no way 4-5 go in the first round. I will gladly eat crow if I'm wrong. In today's game, RB's don't get picked in the first round of the draft like they used too...the game has changed.

True. But these guys are simply too good. Sorta like how Ezekiel Elliott went 4th overall and Todd Gurley went #10 coming off an ACL. Those guys were just too good to not pick.

Same will be true for Hurd, Fournette, Freeman, Cook, and possibly Chubb if he returns to form.

All those guys are in the Elliott/Gurley class or just below them.

4 or 5 of those guys will go in the first. And another 3 or 4 will go in the 2nd round. I have 2nd round grades on Elijah Hood, Samaje Perine, Christian McCaffrey, and potentially Alvin Kamara.

2017 will be the year of the RB.

True. But these guys are simply too good. Sorta like how Ezekiel Elliott went 4th overall and Todd Gurley went #10 coming off an ACL. Those guys were just too good to not pick.

Same will be true for Hurd, Fournette, Freeman, Cook, and possibly Chubb if he returns to form.

All those guys are in the Elliott/Gurley class or just below them.

4 or 5 of those guys will go in the first. And another 3 or 4 will go in the 2nd round. I have 2nd round grades on Elijah Hood, Samaje Perine, Christian McCaffrey, and potentially Alvin Kamara.

2017 will be the year of the RB.

Can't you just take a W without doubling down on some wacky BS?

I'm saying 5 years is a trend, a strong trend, and while there are some very talented RBs coming out, the 2017 crop of RBs is not far from the norm. The likelihood of there being 3 RBs taken in the first round, much less 5 (lol!) is very low.

I agree lets look at 08, McFadden, Johnathan Stewart, Felix Jones, Rashard Mendenhall and Chris Johnson 2008 class. That class was the last class to have 5 and in hindsight this may be the reason. Johnson made pro bowl 1st year and Johnthan Stewart has been very good but I believe lower picks have out preformed the rest. So 2 in that draft preformed 1st round numbers. I believe they think 1 or 2 a year are elite and the rest will come in and have to prove themselves and RB is not a long time investment in most cases.

Reactions: 2 people
In this day and age isn't really isn't a huge deal anymore.

Tell that to Jaylon Smith or Myles Jack. Not being able to jump right back on the field cost those players millions. The body has to heal and the mind has to regain confidence, especially for a RB. Doesn't happen overnight.
I guess it all depends on how you define a "huge deal"...

So basically you're saying this class will be better than 2008? When 5 RBs went in the first, (McFadden, Felix Jones, Mendenhall, Chris Johnson and Jonathan Stewart). Its possible but highly unlikely. I love Hurd but what you just will not accept and what has been pointed out to you time after time, is that Hurd lacks that top end gear. Henry has it. McFadden, Gurley, Elliot, Johnson, Stewart, Chubb and Fournett have/had it. Hurd just doesnt. Its no knock on him at all. As a matter of fact, his speed is very impressive given his size. Hurd will have to have a monumental season to go in the 1st round imo. I think he goes late second round. Which is very good.

I expect Hurd will have some runs this year that will make many highlight reels, including long runs, no less.......
Go Vols

I would put money down that he doesn't..just because it is something you would do, or the logic is sound in your mind, does not mean it is to him.

I would bet that he easily gets at least a second round grade, and stays for his senior year anyway.

And because of that, will hold almost all RB records at UT for a long time.

If you believe certain posters on here, he would have left this year if he could have.

If you believe certain posters on here, he would have left this year if he could have.

He was frustrated with being gang piled in the backfield last year...think he wasn't?

I'm sorry but so many of you are missing the overall point.
Go back and read the op. He was calling out KB over one article.
D4H made a couple of STUPID and outlandish claims in a different thread

Tennesse has NEVER had a team this talented. So history is irrelevant.
The 2016 Vols will have at least 10 players selected in the 1st round over the next 3 years and as many as 30 future draft picks.

They will be one of the most talented college football rosters ever. Forget just UT

KB pointed out all the reasons combined that this wasn't true. Very few backs being taken in the 1st round was just one reason. He never said that it all came down to Hurd. I personally believe Hurd is a beast but the bigger point is still how filled with ignorance the original posts are. 'Best teams in the history of ALL college football'
and we 'will have 3 straight higher drafted classes than we have ever had in history'.
Couple of the most ridiculous statements I've ever seen. Any of you on here backing him up or feeding his trolling, I say the same of you.

VN Store

Back