One analyst believes Tennessee’s quarterback battle has already been decided

I'm out of the group that doesn't care who wins it's up to Helton and Pruitt. They are, after all, the ones that have the real money and reputation on the line.

I don’t care either.
I just hope we have a coach who can recognize the best athlete and put that guy on the field.

And Lord help us maybe coach him up

Definitely. It seems most of the reports have named JG the favorite though.
I'll be honest enough to say I have not counted. LWSVol carries the most weight for me. But I hope he's wrong. The more I watch KC last year... the more I truly hope JG has overcome his issues. Maybe KC could have improved. Maybe the system change helped him. But he just doesn't look that good as a passer. He's got the right pedigree so I'm sure he's smart and can learn a playbook. But from a physical standpoint I don't think SEC DC's will respect him much.

But like we've argued before... JG DOES have those issues until he overcomes them and proves it in game play.

If it is like some have suggested and neither is the answer... then I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Shrout down the stretch.

Don't have to. All he has to say is a "source close to the program" or based on what I've seen or something like that. He doesn't have to name names. Pruitt isn't going to spend inordinate energy chasing anonymous sources.

But if you accept that answer... then why don't you give equal credence to some joker on the radio called "Vol Colonel" who claims a source that told him it is KC? Why not even more?

Then enter LWSVol who historically has had close ties to the program and especially when Fulmer was around. He said that he had lunch with someone close to the program who told him JG had not done what he had to do to earn the job. I actually hope he's wrong... but out of all the "sources" that have commented on the QB battle. LWS is the most credible to me.
you want to know why I believe paid VOLS reporter Austin price over “the vol colonel” and “lwsvol” lololol

He doesn't give reasons. He just said that he predicted JG early and has stuck with it. That at least sounds like he's attached his credibility to being right early.

So if he’s only playing an angle, and Chryst is named the starter, what does that do to his credibility? Especially when he’s saying it isn’t close?

Is it possible that as a member of VQ, who we all know has the best access of any entity not inside the athletic department/program, that he has insight and information that others don’t have? I’d say that’s very likely.

Reactions: tatervol
An analyst, by definition, should always offer some kind of real analysis of the circumstances instead of just offering a vehement opinion that this is the way it should be without giving any background content. It has been a constant narrative by price that guarantano is Far and Away the leader in the clubhouse. This despite the fact that the journalists are only allowed to watch seven minutes of practice every day.
Your feelings hurt??

So if he’s only playing an angle, and Chryst is named the starter, what does that do to his credibility? Especially when he’s saying it isn’t close?
He probably says, "Wow, that was a surprise, KC must have improved late"... and then changes the subject. Like I said, none of these guys are ever held accountable for their predictions.

Is it possible that as a member of VQ, who we all know has the best access of any entity not inside the athletic department/program, that he has insight and information that others don’t have? I’d say that’s very likely.
Possibly. But judging from the recruiting commitments that have come out of the blue... maybe not so much as in the past. And again, why wouldn't that same thing work for others who are saying KC?

I'll be honest enough to say I have not counted. LWSVol carries the most weight for me. But I hope he's wrong. The more I watch KC last year... the more I truly hope JG has overcome his issues. Maybe KC could have improved. Maybe the system change helped him. But he just doesn't look that good as a passer. He's got the right pedigree so I'm sure he's smart and can learn a playbook. But from a physical standpoint I don't think SEC DC's will respect him much.

But like we've argued before... JG DOES have those issues until he overcomes them and proves it in game play.

If it is like some have suggested and neither is the answer... then I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Shrout down the stretch.

Proper coaching can make a huge difference.
We all saw what Voldemort was able to do with Crompton.

I have no idea who the best guy is.
I saw things from JG last year that are really concerning. But honestly a year later to mature and be coached up could make him a completely different person.

Just put the best guy out there.
That’s all I ask

I guess it is kind of incumbent on them to say something if they want people to keep listening... Wouldn't be all that interesting for them to come on each day and say "I don't know today either". Unlike the JJ Peterson saga... they couldn't make a joke out of the QB competition.

The only way anyone survives in sports "journalism" is that they NEVER get held accountable for their predictions. If someone published a "who was right" analysis each year based on preseason predictions... none of them could keep a job.
Yeah I think they'd all like to be right lol.

But at this point I think all any of them are doing is offering their best educated guess. I don't think any of them have been given any information on any decisions that might have been made.

At best they have someone "close to the program" giving their impression.

All that said, price does seem extremely confident in his stance. So we'll see.

Reactions: sjt18
Do we really think Pruitt is going to let any info get out? He does come from the Saban school of media relations where no info gets out
the clueless on here haven't fiqured that out yet. some go to the point of continually arguing over who's gonna be our next QB. I bet it's gonna be JG or KC and practice reps probably represent less than 50% how each of them responds to game conditions when the heat is on.

Last edited:
Reactions: orangebloodgmc
No matter which QB we favor as fans, let's hope they look better than either (although I have never watched a full game of KC) looked last year. Too many changes from last yr to this yr to predict. Everything is different for KC. For JG everything is different except for a couple of receivers. New offense, new O Line, different top WRs, new coaches, maturity levels, hopefully better defenses, different special teams play. Don't try to base too much on last year.

Austin tried to steal my girlfriend in college, which was hilarious then and hilarious now looking back. He hated me something awful. Still can’t believe he has that position on Volquest. He’s a goof.

Look...we have no idea. All we have seen is guys catching balls and running through rubbery cone things, offensive linemen playing with medicine balls, and linebackers running under a short tin roof. We will all know what this team is about in roughly 10 days. Go Vols.

Reactions: RTJ
As long as they can fling the tater and not make too many mistakes t could be Uncle Rico for all I care. I'm confident in the staff picking the correct guy for the job. Lets ride.

I actually came across an ESPN Insider article last week that said earlier in the summer, JG threw a football over them mountains. I knew right then he was QB1, no doubt about it...

you want to know why I believe paid VOLS reporter Austin price over “the vol colonel” and “lwsvol” lololol
No... Not really. Since you've already told me all I need to know with this non sequitur. The "truth" isn't determine by whether someone is paid or not for what they say. And... if you were wiser you wouldn't be so dismissive of LWSVol.

Reactions: VolDave53
No... Not really. Since you've already told me all I need to know with this non sequitur. The "truth" isn't determine by whether someone is paid or not for what they say. And... if you were wiser you wouldn't be so dismissive of LWSVol.
And it would prolly behoove you to not bank on the oracle that is a disgruntled former donor’s dining habits. Unless the dude gorging on meatloaf opposite Larry is a COACH? He’s getting a hot-aired guess from a buddy. He hasn’t really called one right since he declared that Chizik was our new DC.

Reactions: MKEvol
The head coach is going to choose his starter long before he tells us about it. It's human nature. The big show is on a football field on saturdays. That's when he wants us to make our judgments. Just as a movie director doesn't want you on set or a play-write doesn't want you back stage watching rehearsal. In the mean time, he just wants to manage the young ego's , both the damaged and the inflated.

The head coach is going to choose his starter long before he tells us about it. It's human nature. The big show is on a football field on saturdays. That's when he wants us to make our judgments. Just as a movie director doesn't want you on set or a play-write doesn't want you back stage watching rehearsal. In the mean time, he just wants to manage the young ego's , both the damaged and the inflated.

An eloquent post.

I actually agree.

Does anyone believe Alabama actually has a QB competition right now despite what Saban is saying?

We are rolling with JG and Chryst is a needed backup who was probably told he'd have every opportunity to compete and play as injuries occur.

Some guy comes running into the room hysterical.........''SEC has ruled that Casey Clausen actually has a year of eligibility and Pruitt's bringing him in!!!hahaha

Reactions: Type Orange+
Chris Low on Swain Event right now....paraphrasing

Yes, I agree, it’s always been JG’s job to lose and he’s done nothing to lose it. He gives Tennessee more options....Chryst was brought in for 2 reasons 1) to provide competition for JG 2) to provide a backup quarterback.....

Tifwiw

Chris Low on Swain Event right now....paraphrasing

Yes, I agree, it’s always been JG’s job to lose and he’s done nothing to lose it. He gives Tennessee more options....Chryst was brought in for 2 reasons 1) to provide competition for JG 2) to provide a backup quarterback.....

Tifwiw

This has always been my thought as well. JG will be the starter come September 1st.

VN Store

Back