Ones that got away

Maybe this isn't thread worthy but I heard an interesting conversation on sports radio about instate recruits that were never pursued by their home state school that went on to do great things at other programs and beyond.

So I was thinking about Tennessee kids that were never recruited or overlooked by the Vols that went on to good or great college careers elsewhere and 3 came to mind:

Spurrier
Chad Pennington
Randall Cobb

Am I missing anyone else?

Randall Cobb is one Fulmer really whiffed on.

Reactions: 4 people
Patrick Willis

This is the winner! Passionately wanted to be a Vol (unlike Hightower) but Fulmer had started his downward trend and grabbed the highest stars available. In this case Daniel Brooks (RIP).

There have been so many that it's awful to think about.....here are just a few:
Alex Barrs, 4★ OT, to ND, Nashville
Dillion Mitchel, 4★, WR to OR, Memphis
Tyrel Dotson, 4★, ILB to TAMU, Spring Hill
Jackson Harris, 4★, TE, to GA, Columbia
Rico McGraw, 4★, CB, to GA, Nashville
Bryce Matthews, 4★, OT, to Ole Miss, Brentwood
Emmitt Gooden, 4★, DE, to MS St.... (we might get him yet out of JuCo), Brownsville
Taquarius Tisdale, +3★, Ath/LB, Ole Miss, Lexington

We have missed all these, and more, since 2014, meaning they'd all be contributing now for us. I've missed a number of good ones no doubt.

Most of these were WANTED...Jackson Harris is the only one I remember us passing on.

Reactions: 1 person
Cobb is the only one I wish we could have got. He would have made an great slot receiver here. If I remember correctly, Fulmer did pursue at the last minute. Fulmer wanted him on defense but Cobb wanted to play on offense.

Cobb is the only one I wish we could have got. He would have made an great slot receiver here. If I remember correctly, Fulmer did pursue at the last minute. Fulmer wanted him on defense but Cobb wanted to play on offense.

Cobb wanted to play QB. Fulmer wanted him as a WR.

KY let him try QB.

I thought the Spurrier story went something along the lines of UT was interested but Spurrier was not due to our still running the single wing rather than that new fangled passing T backfield most of college football was moving to at the time. Myth or fact, can someone confirm it either way? I personally don't keep track of gator history.

Shaq Mason was a bad miss. Dooley said he was too short. Became AP first team All-American. Lead GT to Orange Bowl victory. Selected in draft by Bill Belichick for New England. Best run blocker on that team. From Columbia, TN.

Last edited:
Recent ones... Von Bell and Jalen Ramsey. Thanks Dooley.

Von Bell hurts a lot bc iirc I think he wanted UT to show more interest than they did. I don't think Ramsey was ever coming. But could you imagine those two in our secondary last year with Cam Sutton? Between those 3 we could had a TD saving tackle vs Florida one would think, right?

Patrick Willis is probably the most egregious miss ever. This then youngster out of Bruceton was literally bleeding orange and doing everything he could to get to The Hill. Small town and small school youngster, reminds me partially of the Bituli story except Nashville is not small and we actually have Bituli on the field wearing orange this year.

Von Bell hurts a lot bc iirc I think he wanted UT to show more interest than they did. I don't think Ramsey was ever coming. But could you imagine those two in our secondary last year with Cam Sutton? Between those 3 we could had a TD saving tackle vs Florida one would think, right?

Ramsey wanted to run track also and the dumpster fire in our track program hurt our recruiting.

I think we were all... blindsided?... by that one. *Dr Evil pose

phil-fulmer-blind-side-trailer.gif

VN Store

Back