Ones that got away

phil-fulmer-blind-side-trailer.gif

lol

There are "ones that got away" in every state..every program. It's not an exact science...so I wouldn't be so quick to frown on a specific coach or coaches. Some people instinctly seem to focus on the "negative"!

Negative post about people being negative.

Maybe this isn't thread worthy but I heard an interesting conversation on sports radio about instate recruits that were never pursued by their home state school that went on to do great things at other programs and beyond.

So I was thinking about Tennessee kids that were never recruited or overlooked by the Vols that went on to good or great college careers elsewhere and 3 came to mind:

Spurrier
Chad Pennington
Randall Cobb

Am I missing anyone else?

Randall Cobb was pursued. Just too late and half effort

Patrick Willis a great one mentioned above. Do we include Terrell Owens? He was from Chatanooga right (or only played at UTC?)

Cobb also wanted to go to a school where he could play QB and TN (along with a lot of schools) weren't interested in giving him that type of roster spot.

Cobb is the only one I wish we could have got. He would have made an great slot receiver here. If I remember correctly, Fulmer did pursue at the last minute. Fulmer wanted him on defense but Cobb wanted to play on offense.

Cobb wanted to play QB. Fulmer wanted him as a WR.

KY let him try QB.

Bingo. A lot of schools - including TN - wanted to let him play WR; Cobb wanted to play QB.

UK was one of the few willing to promise him that he'd play QB.

Bingo. A lot of schools - including TN - wanted to let him play WR; Cobb wanted to play QB.

UK was one of the few willing to promise him that he'd play QB.

I don't think you can blame UT for that one though. Because even though he became a good player and prob one of the best to ever play for UK he's currently fulfilling his NFL dreams... as a WR. Evaluations don't lie. They just catch up with you eventually

Reactions: 2 people
Who was the Clemson qb not to long ago.. wasnt he from the Knoxville area?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Ramsey wanted to run track also and the dumpster fire in our track program hurt our recruiting.

Same issue that kept Adoree Jackson in Southern California. Rebuilding and maintaining the track program needs to be a very high priority.

But to the subject at hand, there was no bigger whiff than Patrick Willis. A lot of the other guys mentioned so far wanted to be elsewhere. Willis practically begged for an offer, got turned down flat, and admits to crying on the way home down I-40.

Every time I see Fulmer anymore, I see the guy who said no to Willis, and roll my eyes when people go on about how great he was. Yeah, we can blame Kiffin, but he was here less than a year. And we can blame Dooley, but he walked into a train wreck. But the tracks fell apart because of Fulmer getting lazy and arrogant. And some want him as AD? :sick: :yuck: :confused: :whatever: :disappointed:

Reactions: 2 people
Same issue that kept Adoree Jackson in Southern California. Rebuilding and maintaining the track program needs to be a very high priority.

But to the subject at hand, there was no bigger whiff than Patrick Willis. A lot of the other guys mentioned so far wanted to be elsewhere. Willis practically begged for an offer, got turned down flat, and admits to crying on the way home down I-40.

Every time I see Fulmer anymore, I see the guy who said no to Willis, and roll my eyes when people go on about how great he was. Yeah, we can blame Kiffin, but he was here less than a year. And we can blame Dooley, but he walked into a train wreck. But the tracks fell apart because of Fulmer getting lazy and arrogant. And some want him as AD? :sick: :yuck: :confused: :whatever: :disappointed:

I judge the man by his full resume. Vols icon. I don't want him at AD because he'd have to learn the job and we already have the perfect candidate.

Randall Cobb was pursued. Just too late and half effort

Patrick Willis a great one mentioned above. Do we include Terrell Owens? He was from Chatanooga right (or only played at UTC?)

First of all T.O.has B.O. and secondly he is from Montgomery Alabama. UTC was the only university to offer him.

I thought the Spurrier story went something along the lines of UT was interested but Spurrier was not due to our still running the single wing rather than that new fangled passing T backfield most of college football was moving to at the time. Myth or fact, can someone confirm it either way? I personally don't keep track of gator history.
T
Yes he was at Johnson City Science Hill and would have been a Vol had the offense moved from the single wing to the T formation. If Dickey was coaching then Spurrier would have been a Vol and provably coaching Tennessee now.

Reactions: 1 person
T
Yes he was at Johnson City Science Hill and would have been a Vol had the offense moved from the single wing to the T formation. If Dickey was coaching then Spurrier would have been a Vol and provably coaching Tennessee now.

Spurrier lived in Athens and Newport before he was a teenager. He grew up a Vols fan.

VN Store

Back