Rumors!! "OC to be Decided Wednesday"

Still Wednesday in the Mountain time zone, west, and Hawaii. I hope it's not June Jones. Norm Chow would be interesting.

I dunno, think I'd rather go full blown air raid with June myself...I don't think it's gonna come down to that though. :)

Seems just like the move Butch made when he announced at his initial press conference...."We're going to hire THE BEST STAFF IN AMERICA"....and then proceeded to bring over his buddies from Cincinnati. That statement made everyone think Butch was really going to search high and low to bring in the most qualified group of assistants he could find. It also faked out Hart, into giving him a fat budget to do so.

Butch took that fat budget, intended to hire successful guys away from successful programs and instead he essentially gave his old assistants a fat raise, in the process.

Now, here we are, two years later, and he's making the same kind of move...hiring out of loyalty and repaying old debts... rather than earnestly pursuing the most qualified candidates. I don't care if I catch flak for this now. But the hiring of DeBord is nothing more than repaying an old coach (who has been out of work for 2yrs now and hasn't been an OC for 7yrs), who once helped him out...and it's got that Sal Sunseri vibe to it.

He is going to be so loyal, that it's going to end up risking the whole staff's jobs next season. I'm not saying I want to see Butch fired, but if we are back at 5-7 or 6-6 again, this year, then he deserves to get what Derek Dooley got, because he will have fared no better than Dooley, and making a foolish hire out of sheer cronyism, will have earned that for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Seems just like the move Butch made when he announced at his initial press conference...."We're going to hire THE BEST STAFF IN AMERICA"....and then proceeded to bring over his buddies from Cincinnati. That statement made everyone think Butch was really going to search high and low to bring in the most qualified group of assistants he could find. It also faked out Hart, into giving him a fat budget to do so.

Butch took that fat budget, intended to hire successful guys away from successful programs and instead he essentially gave his old assistants a fat raise, in the process.

Now, here we are, two years later, and he's making the same kind of move...hiring out of loyalty and repaying old debts... rather than earnestly pursuing the most qualified candidates. I don't care if I catch flak for this now. But the hiring of DeBord is nothing more than repaying an old coach (who has been out of work for 2yrs now and hasn't been an OC for 7yrs), who once helped him out...and it's got that Sal Sunseri vibe to it.

He is going to be so loyal, that it's going to end up risking the whole staff's jobs next season. I'm not saying I want to see Butch fired, but if we are back at 5-7 or 6-6 again, this year, then he deserves to get what Derek Dooley got, because he will have fared no better than Dooley, and making a foolish hire out of sheer cronyism, will have earned that for him.

Wtf?

I don't understand the almost personal level hatred some of this forum continues to have for CBJ.

All he has done is show consistent improvement from year to year while pulling in top 5 and top 3 recruiting classes all while coaching Freshman fresh out of high school to compete at the second highest level of football in America. And oh yeah, he won with them.

Dooley my ass. G.T.F.O.

Reactions: 8 people
I am posing this question before I head to class so I don't have a lot if time to dig through 10 pages of discussion. Forgive me if this has been discussed:

Why does it make sense to wait to announce the hiring of DeBord (if it truly is him) until after NSD? He currently does not hold a job that would affect recruiting at his current school. Also, why would Butch swindle the recruits like that? You would imagine he would tell them who the frontrunner is BEFORE they actually send in their letters of intent?

Butch did put out a media blitz yesterday with the message to trust him. Seems like a message for a DeBord hire to me. None of us have to like that move either. Butch has earned our trust on his hires. Nearly all of them have been questioned but have worked out.

I am posing this question before I head to class so I don't have a lot if time to dig through 10 pages of discussion. Forgive me if this has been discussed:

Why does it make sense to wait to announce the hiring of DeBord (if it truly is him) until after NSD? He currently does not hold a job that would affect recruiting at his current school. Also, why would Butch swindle the recruits like that? You would imagine he would tell them who the frontrunner is BEFORE they actually send in their letters of intent?

My opinion is without a guy named you can spin the search a myriad of ways to fit your needs with prospects. Negative response would be that it's to keep other teams from negative recruiting the hire with our commits.

I know right, his loyalty just won us our first bowl game in forever and has us killing it on the recruiting trail. Damn your loyalty Butch.

Reactions: 4 people

The timing of this was just epically bad. Final three weeks of recruiting are hell anyways going up to NSD as far as visits, sealing everyone up, making sure their transcripts get them in and through clearinghouse. Generally the recruits will know before we do as well.

Butch did put out a media blitz yesterday with the message to trust him. Seems like a message for a DeBord hire to me. None of us have to like that move either. Butch has earned our trust on his hires. Nearly all of them have been questioned but have worked out.

I would think if it were going to be Debord it would have already been released. I am wondering if he is not having Debord help him in the decision by breaking film down from different OC's. Maybe that is just wishful thinking on my part.

I would think if it were going to be Debord it would have already been released. I am wondering if he is not having Debord help him in the decision by breaking film down from different OC's. Maybe that is just wishful thinking on my part.

Debord was the easiest to interview extensively. He came to Knoxville. Most of the other candidates are in the same situation we are in right now, scrambling and trying to finish out our recruiting class. I think the goal is to get it down to two or three good candidates and interview them more extensively after checking their references/backgrounds.

As of now I roll my eyes whenever I see "check my stats", volnation's newest catch phrase. It wont be long till I will want to claw my eyes out whenever I see it. Considering how these things get beaten into the ground around here this is not going away anytime soon.

Next person who says check my stats will have to answer to the almighty Rod Wilks!!!!!!!!

Wtf?

I don't understand the almost personal level hatred some of this forum continues to have for CBJ.

All he has done is show consistent improvement from year to year while pulling in top 5 and top 3 recruiting classes all while coaching Freshman fresh out of high school to compete at the second highest level of football in America. And oh yeah, he won with them.

Dooley my ass. G.T.F.O.
He WON with them? 5-7 and 6-6. Huh? HE HAS PRACTICALLY THE SAME RECORD AS DEREK DOOLEY AFTER 2 SEASONS! GTFO!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back