Sounding like he's back

True to an extent but doesn't mean other issues that were coach related weren't part of the overall problem. That's not any worse than being pulled over and arrested for having weed in your car. He definitely has some issues but nothing that isn't fixable by the right coach. Yes he would have to earn his way back on the team and earn the respect and trust from the Coach's and his teammates. But there is a helluva lot worst things he could be doing that smoking pot. Atleast that's something that is fixable and easily corrected. None of this makes him a bad kid or lost cause. If it was any of our sons we would want JP and Fulmer to allow him one chance to correct his mistakes. Who knows what kind of downward spiral it could cause him if they just gave up on him. Now if he messes up again then yea but he atleast deserves a fresh start and last chance.

If he was found on his own time high (which he was, and driving without a license or insurance with a girl drinking underage), then you'd have a point. Or if it was his first offense. Or if he didn't quit on his team then come strutting back after Jones got fired acting like he was just going to get his way.

Reactions: 1 person
Alabama fans didn't fret anywhere near this much when St Nick not only didn't boot Cam Robinson from his team, but took the outrageously inappropriate step of questioning the integrity of the two police officers who arrested his star Left Tackle for drugs and illegal possession of a stolen firearm with serial numbers filed off. If Pruitt wants Jennings back, it's nothing compared to Nick's shenanigans.

Bad apples also go MIA for 10 weeks, show up in the student section, and then cry when he gets told he's not going to play a certain position.

I get that, I really do.

I'd put these type of things to a veteran player vote. The players know better than coaches who the bad apples are.

Bad apples also go MIA for 10 weeks, show up in the student section, and then cry when he gets told he's not going to play a certain position.

Again there have been plenty of players who have done way worse and were given the opportunity to right their wrongs. None of that is reason to fully give up on a young man. If guys like James Winston can get the chances he got with all the stuff he did then JJ definitely deserves a fresh start. If he was a repeat bad crime or had a history of physical abuse that would be a completely different story. But it's not the case. He's at the age where stupid mistakes happen and has maturity issues. It doesn't make him a bad guy. He would get 1 chance and if he screwed up again then there would be no choice. But all the issues so many players have had with Butch while he was here leads me to believe he wasn't exactly the best father figure or role model. Not everyone is built to handle stuff the same way. Just like you can't discipline everyone the same way. What works for one may not for the other. And don't see Butch as the most sincere or easiest to deal with. If he was talking to and treating Antoine Davis the way he was,who is a grown a$$ man only God knows the abuse players took.

I get that, I really do.

I'd put these type of things to a veteran player vote. The players know better than coaches who the bad apples are.

If he couldn't be bothered enough to be on the sideline for his teammates, there's no way he deserves to come back. He quit. He made that decision. Now he needs to live with it.

Again there have been plenty of players who have done way worse and were given the opportunity to right their wrongs. None of that is reason to fully give up on a young man. If guys like James Winston can get the chances he got with all the stuff he did then JJ definitely deserves a fresh start. If he was a repeat bad crime or had a history of physical abuse that would be a completely different story. But it's not the case. He's at the age where stupid mistakes happen and has maturity issues. It doesn't make him a bad guy. He would get 1 chance and if he screwed up again then there would be no choice. But all the issues so many players have had with Butch while he was here leads me to believe he wasn't exactly the best father figure or role model. Not everyone is built to handle stuff the same way. Just like you can't discipline everyone the same way. What works for one may not for the other. And don't see Butch as the most sincere or easiest to deal with. If he was talking to and treating Antoine Davis the way he was,who is a grown a$$ man only God knows the abuse players took.

He was arrested just last February. Then had a teammate find him stoned when he was supposed to be at practice. Then he walked out on his teammates. Didn't do his job in the classroom. Then shows up in the student section. Then is allowed to come back, but he walks out again after being told he's not playing QB. Then goes on his hissy fit Instagram rant. He had plenty of opportunities.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
If he couldn't be bothered enough to be on the sideline for his teammates, there's no way he deserves to come back. He quit. He made that decision. Now he needs to live with it.

Yeah, but if you really feel this way, why the hell do you think you should get to make that decision instead of his teammates?

If he was found on his own time high (which he was, and driving without a license or insurance with a girl drinking underage), then you'd have a point. Or if it was his first offense. Or if he didn't quit on his team then come strutting back after Jones got fired acting like he was just going to get his way.

Well if you're arrested for having weed it doesn't matter what the circumstances were. It's illegal regardless of other circumstances. I honestly don't have a problem with weed, it's way safer than drinking. I would much rather someone be behind the wheel high than drunk. You can still function and have control over yourself unlike when your drunk. I'm not taking up for JJ at all he definitely has some issues that need to be corrected and worked out. But my point is there's nothing he's done that makes him a lost cause and not deserving of a fresh start. Weed and immaturity aren't justification for completely giving up on a kid( young man) that has their whole life ahead of them. Many great men had similar issues at the same age. Nothing he's done isn't beyond fixable.

He was arrested just last February. Then had a teammate find him stoned when he was supposed to be at practice. Then he walked out on his teammates. Didn't do his job in the classroom. Then shows up in the student section. Then is allowed to come back, but he walks out again after being told he's not playing QB. Then goes on his hissy fit Instagram rant. He had plenty of opportunities.

None of us know what all went on between him and Butch. But there's nothing he's done that makes him not deserve a chance under JP. Like I said earlier imagine if it was your son. Would you give up on him or hope that JP would help get him right and turn his life around. Or just give up on him and risk the potential spiraling down it could cause. He deserves one chance under JP.

Well if you're arrested for having weed it doesn't matter what the circumstances were. It's illegal regardless of other circumstances. I honestly don't have a problem with weed, it's way safer than drinking. I would much rather someone be behind the wheel high than drunk. You can still function and have control over yourself unlike when your drunk. I'm not taking up for JJ at all he definitely has some issues that need to be corrected and worked out. But my point is there's nothing he's done that makes him a lost cause and not deserving of a fresh start. Weed and immaturity aren't justification for completely giving up on a kid( young man) that has their whole life ahead of them. Many great men had similar issues at the same age. Nothing he's done isn't beyond fixable.

Forget the weed. He quit on his team twice. In one year. That's a trend of not being able to handle your emotions in a correct way, and there's no way a coach should take the chance of him doing it a 3rd time.

None of us know what all went on between him and Butch. But there's nothing he's done that makes him not deserve a chance under JP. Like I said earlier imagine if it was your son. Would you give up on him or hope that JP would help get him right and turn his life around. Or just give up on him and risk the potential spiraling down it could cause. He deserves one chance under JP.

I wouldn't expect the coach of the program my son walked out on twice to take him back. If he wanted to try to advance his career, I'd support him at his new school.

Hurd had a very bad attitude, borne from ideas his father had for him and they infested him. I actually dont know what JJ did, was it just complain he was lied to by his coaches on twatter? I dont really care if that is it. He is a kid. What did he say that was so bad?

Maybe you don’t know that he was already suspended from the week before failed drug test, didn’t go to class as required, shows up at practice but leaves when he finds out he’s not playing QB vs Vandy (I still can’t beleive how most Vol fans don’t find this completely absurd) and then dog cusses the coaching staff and program. So, what do you do to a 4 time loser in the one week? Bring him back and you can forget any discipline.

Reactions: 3 people
Maybe you don’t know that he was already suspended from the week before failed drug test, didn’t go to class as required, shows up at practice but leaves when he finds out he’s not playing QB vs Vandy (I still can’t beleive how most Vol fans don’t find this completely absurd) and then dog cusses the coaching staff and program. So, what do you do to a 4 time loser in the one week? Bring him back and you can forget any discipline.

Who the hell are you talking about? I was talking about JJ

Forget the weed. He quit on his team twice. In one year. That's a trend of not being able to handle your emotions in a correct way, and there's no way a coach should take the chance of him doing it a 3rd time.

Completely disagree. None of us knows where he's at emotionally. He could be dealing with issues we know nothing about or just doesn't know how to control them. All that is very fixable. If his teammates want to give him a chance to make it up then he should. Let the players vote and go from there. But they are all brothers and my guess is they let him return. Especially after they all had to deal with that last DA Headcoach they all had.I have hard time believing his teammates would turn him away.

If all that is true, I find it absurd that he was allowed to practice.

I wouldn't expect the coach of the program my son walked out on twice to take him back. If he wanted to try to advance his career, I'd support him at his new school.

I didn't necessarily say I would expect it but to atleast consider the entire circumstance. Plus it's a new HC and that usually means everyone starts over. Where has it even been reported that he did walk out on them several times? Was it reported somewhere or just Volnation gossip?? Didn't his teammates defend him after his online rant?

If he cared about preventing them from going 4-8 he should've gone to practice, meetings, etc when he was injured.

Good point my, J City neighbor.

IF this turns out to be true, I will assume tha CJP knows better than I, with ALL the facts, what is the best course of action.

I do hope he has to earn a scholly, not simply get the one back that he threw away.

Thanks I never saw this. But still nothing says he's a bad kid, just a very immature one and no clue on how to control his emotions. I'm still betting Butch played a part in this too just a matter of how big of one. He obviously has some issues whether it be maturity, home life or who knows what else. I remember during the year a poster claiming he knew JJ and family said he was dealing with personal and family stuff. None of us know what could be going on in his life to make him behave that way. Could be nothing could be issues none of us know about and none of our business. But not really fair to judge a kid without knowing everything going on in his life. Thats not the behavior of a kid that doesn't have stuff going on in his life that he may not be dealing with very well. But regardless it's not really the job of internet posters to automatically damn him to hell and be his judge and jury. It's JP and possibly his teammates decision not ours. Especially when they will all get the full story and not just pieces of it like us. I'll trust whatever JP decides and I'm betting he gets a chance under him.

VN Store

Back