Strongly encouraged

Not always the greatest measuring stick. The below individual worked out pretty well for us.

Josh Dobbs - 3* per Rivals
Offers from:
Arizona State
Arkansas
Boston College
Duke
Harvard
Illinois
Maryland
Miss. State
Princeton
Southern Miss
South Florida
Syracuse
TCU
UCF
Wake Forest
Yale

This would be fine if majority of our signing class wasnt 3 stars. There will be a couple diamonds in the rough out of our 22 3 stars. The rest will more than likely be just that, 3 stars. Our latest commit picked us over Vandy. As a fan this does not excite me one bit and is very concerning going forward on top of the other **** shows going on.

Reactions: 1 person
Why is he struggling with so many top prospects that are so close to Knoxville.

This is not specific to east TN kids but in general he now has something tangible to look at. The early pitch and advantages are no longer present. He's having to stand on his product and it's equalling 15ish classes which is Dooley range.

Why is he struggling with so many top prospects that are so close to Knoxville.

well, i think lack of NFL draft picks plays a role. Tee Higgins for example...who would you rather be? Maquez North or Sammy Watkins?

some of these programs that are coming in and getting the top notch talent in state, are regularly sending that top notch talent to the NFL. so track record says a lot.

injury rate. i think the volume of injuries we've sustained over the past 3 years, especially those of the previous two years where we had so many guys hurt in the spring, i think kids look at that, and compare to clemson, Bama, OSU etc...and that checks another box.

coaches...BSIA not withstanding, when you compare the staffs, who's developing and who's not? who's getting kids ready to play at the next level? whos getting kids in big games and winning?

stability. Cam Akers is an example here...i think if there were more confidence in the future of the staff, a kid like that winds up in Knoxville. rather, he went for more of a sure thing, that checks this box, and several of the others above, and goes to FSU.

the negative recruiting against TN right now is pretty easy pickings.

and lastly, fans. we're a split fan base, and we're not afraid to voice it. most fan bases in the SEC are as well. but it's no secret that there's some unrest in the fan base, and given the situation administratively, it's fairly easy for someone to say "can you really say that your coaches will be there next year? they don't have an AD, they just hired a new chancellor and no one knows what the direction of that program is going to be."....

so some of it is on Butch and then, it's also not untrue to say he's not exactly being given a ton of support right now from his bosses. you really don't know what direction this is going to go in.

don't disagree, but there's some equity built in that 14 and 15 class that is still gonna be here next year, and the year after that. and if this year does go better than expected, see some Big Orange walk across the stage, and get their names called, that won't hurt, and you can build on that in the 18 cycle, and still sell playing time.

the caveat to that is what's the tone of Jones' tenure at the end of next season? will there be more confidence in his future or less?

i may not like it, but at least the for the short term, it would be better for the long term future, (if that makes sense?) if this all works out.

cause you're right. if it goes south now, and we do have to fire him, the cupboard won't be as bare as it was when Butch got here, but it won't be ready to win now, or the near future, for the next guy either.

The 14' class looks a lot different now compared to when it signed even considering natural attrition.

Butch has won 0% of his games against the West

50% against Georgia
50% against Vandy
25% against Florida
25% against Power 5 conferences(regular season)
0% against Bama

100% against Kentucky
75% against Missouri
100% against non-power 5 conferences

3-0 in Bowls

2-2 versus Missouri.

The 14' class looks a lot different now compared to when it signed even considering natural attrition.

no doubt. my expectations have been tempered, no question. but we should have a qb. and we should have a front 4, and a pretty good O line. you can build on that.

if the s&c program starts to make a difference, and we see what should be fairly easy improvement in the defensive backfield (the really have no where to go but up), you can see a skeleton of what might be a pretty good football team the next couple of years. still questions at LB, RB, WR, DE...

good enough to win the East? the conf? get in to a play off or NY6 bowl? dunno, and leaning heavily towards no. but i can see the 8/9 win type seasons continuing.

and that seems to be good enough, right?:thumbsup:

Well, maybe if it was 0-2 the first two years and 2-0 the last two. You're correct... should not have lost to Vandy in 2016. **** happens.

Shouldnt have lost to Vandy in year one either . I getbyhe state of the program when he got her, but at some point a good coach overachieves and wins a games he shouldnt, outside of USC in 2014, CBJ is on the opposite end of that spectrum all the time.

Shouldnt have lost to Vandy in year one either . I getbyhe state of the program when he got her, but at some point a good coach overachieves and wins a games he shouldnt, outside of USC in 2014, CBJ is on the opposite end of that spectrum all the time.

:thumbsup:

Franklin is gooder.

That fancy VA Tech coach didn't win versus Butch and he's gooder as well.

Last edited:
no doubt. my expectations have been tempered, no question. but we should have a qb. and we should have a front 4, and a pretty good O line. you can build on that.

if the s&c program starts to make a difference, and we see what should be fairly easy improvement in the defensive backfield (the really have no where to go but up), you can see a skeleton of what might be a pretty good football team the next couple of years. still questions at LB, RB, WR, DE...

good enough to win the East? the conf? get in to a play off or NY6 bowl? dunno, and leaning heavily towards no. but i can see the 8/9 win type seasons continuing.

and that seems to be good enough, right?:thumbsup:

I'm seeing 7-5 to 8-4.

The QB position will provide more options at some point. I'm just not sure how long that takes. Too many unanswered questions at some other spots.

with what Butch and company have accomplished since the vandy loss. Recruiting took a step forward with Trey Smith, has now stabilized and the bowl game was won convincingly against a quality opponent. However, what I am most impressed with is the quality of young men Butch is recruiting. When you read up on commits like Cheyenne L., Trey S., Ty C., Ryan T., Kivon B., Maleik G., Seth W., Riley L., Deandre J., Solon P. it is obvious Butch really does have a recruiting profile he follows. While no one is perfect, the commits I’ve been able to read up on seem like high character, high quality young men that will give their all for TN, represent the university and their families with class and win championships, both life and football. Players like Josh D. and Derek B.

It looks to me like Butch is growing, making the difficult changes when necessary and he is rebuilding TN football. Three straight bowl wins and back to back 9 win seasons. We are moving in the right direction!

And, let’s not forget Butch and company ended the streak:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYWZ358yiD4

GO VOLS!!!

Nebraska was not quality.
The Vols had no business in the MCB
He took steps last off season too and get the same results with his seniors... his.
Rebuilding... seems like we'll lean on that until the column gives way.
Butch had an opportunity to silence a lot if not all his critics this season and fell on his face. Coming off a bye week and again in his own back yard.

He ended the streak but in the end it means nothing because the team he beat went where he should have been

Reactions: 3 people
I'm seeing 7-5 to 8-4.

The QB position will provide more options at some point. I'm just not sure how long that takes. Too many unanswered questions at some other spots.

that's an ongoing theme, and one of the other reasons that leaves me less enthused about our coach and his abilities.

it's always "if".

"what I am most impressed with is the quality of young men Butch is recruiting."

Hmmmmm, could CBJ be following in the steps of CPF?? Great recruiter. Average field General?

I know none of us want to return to having to check the Sunday KNS to see who has been arrested. Do we need questionable character to win? I don't think so, and I'm pretty sure Dr Davenport sees it that way also.

I'm seeing 7-5 to 8-4.

and my 8-9 win projection, includes bowl game. i think 8-4 is the ceiling for 121.

The Odds are not in your favor

No I completely agree. Just pointing out that it isn't always the greatest measuring stick. Jones has recruited some 3* players that turned out to be excellent. Cam Sutton was a 3* IIRC. But, Jones also recruited Dontavius Blair.... so he's not hitting it out of the park every time but I do think their recruiting profile has some merit.

This would be fine if majority of our signing class wasnt 3 stars. There will be a couple diamonds in the rough out of our 22 3 stars. The rest will more than likely be just that, 3 stars. Our latest commit picked us over Vandy. As a fan this does not excite me one bit and is very concerning going forward on top of the other **** shows going on.

Be prepared to read "Barnett picked us over Vandy. See how that turned out"

Can't argue with that :good!:

I'm seeing 7-5 to 8-4.

Florida
Georgia
Bama
LSU

That's 4 and Butch will always lose 1-2 he shouldn't so the ceiling is 7-5

My pick is still 6-6

VN Store

Back