Targeting!

A facemask to the chest is not, and has never been targeting.
I agree. They followed procedure and got it right.

I wish they'd take the marginal ejections out of the equation and let the league office/NCAA take their time reviewing hits and handle suspensions after the fact.

We won the 2004 UF game because of a bad call by the refs. There you go.

Notice, I never said we lost today because of the refs. Neither did any other Vol fan. What you are saying has absolutely nothing to do with what I said. I am pointing out that Alabama gets the benefit of the doubt on almost every 50/50 call. Do you think that is inaccurate?

Bad calls go both ways. We probably don’t win the natty in 98 without a few bad calls going our way

That is my point too. So much inconsistency with this targeting crap. It seems a team's best defensive player has to sit the past two weeks going into their bammer game. Batuli vs auburn and playing bummer the next week, and now the LSU defense's best player gets called for it and who do they play next? bummer. LSU player didn't target miss st qb. JG got hurt because the bammer player led with his helmet he should have been tossed. No call whatsoever. This rule was put in for safety and JG about got his head taken off pretty damn sad. It is wrong. My beef with bummer is they do not get called for holding until game is over and they get away with a lot of stuff defensively and it is not right. Can criticize me all you want as a loser's mentality but it has been going on for years.

LSU has to be the first team ever to get a INT overturned for targeting, player ejected, and 45 yards of penalties (30 yard of which were 2 players celebrating together, never seen two flags for that) for a player pushing a QB in the chest as he releases the ball. It was almost comical. It didn't really have a bearing on the game, but it took what was a hard fought win into almost like a loss.

To be honest, I didn't think either one was targeting but I could at least see a ref being mistaken by the Alabama play on the field and have the review reverse it. The LSU one shouldn't have even been called on the field let alone not reversed. What was even more comical is the ref was trying to get Fitzgerald out the game, he was like I am okay - the ref keeps directing him to the sidelines, he finally leaves the field, at least that is how I remember - I need to watch the video.

Yet one was called and the other wasn’t. Imagine that.

The only targeting that I saw yesterday was in the Auburn game. It was exactly what the rule was designed to punish. Yet it was overturned on review. Does helping out Auburn fit into the Bama conspiracy?

I think the hit on JG was worse. Guess who won't see that LSU linebacker in the first half. Alabama. Makes you wonder...
Doesn't make me wonder anymore. I've been seeing it many times that Bama has things fall their way from the SEC Commissioner down to the refs.....every ref. It can't be coincidence or plain luck IMO. May just be me but I long for the day when they come down from that lofty pedestal. Saban and Belichek go back a long time and their sucesses are mirrored. Maybe two more years of Bama dominance is in the cards but I'm hoping sooner.

The only targeting that I saw yesterday was in the Auburn game. It was exactly what the rule was designed to punish. Yet it was overturned on review. Does helping out Auburn fit into the Bama conspiracy?

Out of the two hits we all agree were not targeting Bama didn’t get called, and LSU did. Both were close. Bama got the benefit of the doubt, LSU didn’t. Imagine that.

And yes, the LSU player getting tossed benefits Bama.

Not sure where AU game matters at all in this discussion.

Do you think the league should have stepped in and penalized Raekwon Davis? Do you think any other team gets that benefit from the league?

Out of the two hits we all agree were not targeting Bama didn’t get called, and LSU did. Both were close. Bama got the benefit of the doubt, LSU didn’t. Imagine that.

And yes, the LSU player getting tossed benefits Bama.

Not sure where AU game matters at all in this discussion.

Do you think the league should have stepped in and penalized Raekwon Davis? Do you think any other team gets that benefit from the league?

My point about Auburn is that these calls are screwed up all the time. Either you accept the fact that they are screwups, or you believe that it is all a great conspiracy to help Bama.

As for Davis, I have said, multiple times, that he should have been ejected. So should the Missouri player who clubbed Mack Wilson, which prompted Davis' response. But the league was never going to admit that a crew screwed up that badly. However, had Davis been ejected, he could have played the entire game against UT (the next half rule only applies to targeting). So, because Saban handled it himself, UT got the benefit of not having to take on one of Bama's best defenders.

My point about Auburn is that these calls are screwed up all the time. Either you accept the fact that they are screwups, or you believe that it is all a great conspiracy to help Bama.

As for Davis, I have said, multiple times, that he should have been ejected. So should the Missouri player who clubbed Mack Wilson, which prompted Davis' response. But the league was never going to admit that a crew screwed up that badly. However, had Davis been ejected, he could have played the entire game against UT (the next half rule only applies to targeting). So, because Saban handled it himself, UT got the benefit of not having to take on one of Bama's best defenders.

My point, and mostly everyone else’s is the “screwups” tend to help Bama. Nothing that happened yesterday refutes that.

Davis should have been ejected. And if you believe for one second that if UT had any chance of beating Bama yesterday that Saban still would have sat him I’ve got some ocean front property for you. Davis was on camera wailing on a player and the SEC let’s Saban handle it internally.

Reactions: JacketVol
My point, and mostly everyone else’s is the “screwups” tend to help Bama. Nothing that happened yesterday refutes that.

Davis should have been ejected. And if you believe for one second that if UT had any chance of beating Bama yesterday that Saban still would have sat him I’ve got some ocean front property for you. Davis was on camera wailing on a player and the SEC let’s Saban handle it internally.

And because the SEC let him handle it internally, the punishment was worse than had they made the correct call.

And because the SEC let him handle it internally, the punishment was worse than had they made the correct call.

That is a sad state of affairs for the rest of the conference when the officiating is so bad that Bama is expected to hand down its own punishment because the SEC won’t.

Meanwhile our best defensive player was tossed from the game on the first series yesterday.

SMH.

Nailed it!! Take care of the cash cow!
Damn right he nailed it and exactly what's going on in the SEC. There's Bama then a 13 team conference that's basically even with the other conferences. I don't care for it myself. I hope Bama goes down like Ohio state did this weekend but if refs have anything to do with it it won't happen. It's a rigged deal and by not ejecting the Bama player who did target and by ejecting the LSU player who did not target the picture becomes all too clear. Had truth prevailed it would be an Alabama player sitting out a half and the LSU linebacker would be playing the entire game. My point is that we, the fans, could get united over this. Where does all the income come from? From us,the fans. I've seen too many bad calls this year. One crew got suspended recently for bad calls but that applied to one crew,(officiating), and now it's spread out. I'm not a conspiracy theorist. I'm just stating what I actually see and I can't help but see that it favors Bama. It shouldn't be that way.

Reactions: Alto1
Nobody get's equal calls against Bama and never will as long as the SEC office resides in Bama where all game targeting calls are reviewed in Bama. And it is never whining about officials when it comes to player safety. It wasn't the face mask to the chest that was targeting it was the helmet to the chin to get the facemack on the chest. An open hand slap gets our player ejected but a closed fist punch by Bama player just nets a 15yd penalty and doesn't get kicked out or suspended. Off setting personnel foul penalty when Jennings didn't do anything to the guy. None of this would change the outcome but everyone should get an equal whistle.

Reactions: MEDVOL and rjd970
Nobody get's equal calls against Bama and never will as long as the SEC office resides in Bama where all game targeting calls are reviewed in Bama. And it is never whining about officials when it comes to player safety. It wasn't the face mask to the chest that was targeting it was the helmet to the chin to get the facemack on the chest. An open hand slap gets our player ejected but a closed fist punch by Bama player just nets a 15yd penalty and doesn't get kicked out or suspended. Off setting personnel foul penalty when Jennings didn't do anything to the guy. None of this would change the outcome but everyone should get an equal whistle.

I still don’t think the hit on JG was targeting, but your point about the game being called fairly and consistently is dead on.

Considering the impact of this penalty, it's a travesty to the game and players how inconsistent the judging is.

The play at the goal-line, by definition, was targeting. It doesn't matter if the receiver went low and I agree that it's only natural to lower your head in that instance. But that's how the rule was written. It's not up for interpretation of intent.

As far as the hit on JG, I don't think it was targeting because the defender had his head up. However, I've seen that called targeting before.

There simply is no consistency in how it's administered and it needs to change.

I literally just watched an LSU player hit Fitzgerald like JG got hit by Bama. The LSU player was ejected!

I realize that the refs didn’t cause the loss but the game wasn’t called correctly!!!!

Great teams get the benefit of calls, it’s just the way it is. It was no different than the ridiculous ejection earlier in the game

VN Store

Back