Targeting!

A facemask to the chest is not, and has never been targeting.
Wilson lead with his helmet to the neck AREA on a defenseless player. It doesn’t have to be helmet to helmet lol. By the way the rule is written it’s 100% a target.

No player shall target and make forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent (See Note 2 below) with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder. This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting (See Note 1 below). When in question, it is a foul (Rules 2-27-14 and 9-6). (A.R. 9-1-4-I-VI)

Note 2: Defenseless player (Rule 2-27-14):
  • A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass.

Wilson lead with his helmet to the neck AREA on a defenseless player. It doesn’t have to be helmet to helmet lol. By the way the rule is written it’s 100% a target.

No player shall target and make forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent (See Note 2 below) with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder. This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting (See Note 1 below). When in question, it is a foul (Rules 2-27-14 and 9-6). (A.R. 9-1-4-I-VI)

Boom !

Reactions: crovol

He hit him in the chest. Trying to pretend that human anatomy is some kind of variable mystery will not change what happened.

He hit him in the chest. Trying to pretend that human anatomy is some kind of variable mystery will not change what happened.
The top of Wilson’s helmet literally made contact with the bottom of JG’s face mask. It says neck AREA, he hit him above the numbers, which is considered the neck area, Buddy. Players have been flagged for hits lower than that. I don’t like the rule it either, but the way it’s written it’s 100% a target. To pretend otherwise just shows your bias

Reactions: Zues1 and crovol
I sure hope you don’t actually write for bama because it shows how little you actually know about the rules and how they work. Yikes

Reactions: crovol
The top of Wilson’s helmet literally made contact with the bottom of JG’s face mask. It says neck AREA, he hit him above the numbers, which is considered the neck area, Buddy. Players have been flagged for hits lower than that. I don’t like the rule it either, but the way it’s written it’s 100% a target. To pretend otherwise just shows your bias

The hit was clean. It was violent because no one so much as breathed on Wilson on his way to the QB.

The hit was clean. It was violent because no one so much as breathed on Wilson on his way to the QB.
except it wasn’t, but continue to show your bias, even when shown the rules. The neck area is above the numbers, and you’re denying that he hit that high. Hilarious

When did anyone even say anything about a violent hit? Violent hit doesn’t = targeting

Reactions: Zues1
except it wasn’t, but continue to show your bias, even when shown the rules. The neck area is above the numbers, and you’re denying that he hit that high. Hilarious

When did anyone even say anything about a violent hit? Violent hit doesn’t = targeting

Link that anything above the number is considered the neck?

Link that anything above the number is considered the neck?
The word your missing is AREA. You can’t ignore anatomy. Above the shoulders, Collarbone, is neck area. Have you ever seen someone hit another person neck with their helmet? No because you can’t

Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:
  1. forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, even if the initial contact is LOWER than the player’s neck

The word your missing is AREA. You can’t ignore anatomy. Above the shoulders, Collarbone, is neck area. Have you ever seen someone hit another person neck with their helmet? No because you can’t

Link that anything above the numbers is considered the neck area?

Any and all contact does not fall under targeting. Forcible contact is the rule.

Look, I'm somewhat uncertain as to what I THINK should be called, but the more watch the replay and read the rule the more it looks like targeting to me. Wilson does lead with his head in my opinion and does make contact with the head area of JG. The rule states when in question it is a foul.

Are you saying you collarbone is not your neck area? Your opinion is noted

No, I would consider my collarbone my chest or shoulder, depending on exactly where on the bone we're talking. My neck is everything above that.

But, my opinion is irrelevant. You made the statement as if it were the rule. You may be right; I don't have the rulebook memorized. But if it is the rule, a link would be helpful.

While I've seen better photos from the Civial War, it sure looks like the facemask is coming down onto the top of Wilson's helmet. That's not targeting, that's physics.
You think helmet to helmet is the only way a targeting is called? Yikes

Look, I'm somewhat uncertain as to what I THINK should be called, but the more watch the replay and read the rule the more it looks like targeting to me. Wilson does lead with his head in my opinion and does make contact with the head area of JG. The rule states when in question it is a foul.

It wasn't in question.

Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:
  1. forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, even if the initial contact is LOWER than the player’s neck

No, I would consider my collarbone my chest or shoulder, depending on exactly where on the bone we're talking. My neck is everything above that.

But, my opinion is irrelevant. You made the statement as if it were the rule. You may be right; I don't have the rulebook memorized. But if it is the rule, a link would be helpful.
🤦‍♂️

He didn't forcibly hit any part of the head or neck. You are arguing that any contact should be considered forcible, and that is not the rule.

VN Store

Back