• 3. Not Sure Yet

Votes: 260 33.8%
  • 4. Displeased

Votes: 38 4.9%
  • 5. Very Displeased

Votes: 28 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Maria may simply not have been able to get away from her full-time job today to attend the news conference.
Maria may be on exile after spreading an unfounded and harmful rumor about the Harpers' firing based on some heresay she picked up. A rumor that's still being repeated and will always be an unfair part of the narrative. She needs to back off.
I agree. She loves being a Lady Vol. Really, my feeling is that she has been wisely advised to take a few days to get to know Kim a little and to think it over before making her decision. So she's doing that.

She's gonna want to stick around. I'm not one bit worried about it. 🤗
I'm only really worried about Jewel, and the others, if Kellie gets another job soon. Which I don't think will happen even though she's being mentioned for Marquette.

Maria may be on exile after spreading an unfounded and harmful rumor about the Harpers' firing based on some heresay she picked up. A rumor that's still being repeated and will always be an unfair part of the narrative. She needs to back off.

I'm only really worried about Jewel, and the others, if Kellie gets another job soon. Which I don't think will happen even though she's being mentioned for Marquette.

Good point about Maria. But ya know, I wondered if what she reported may have actually been the truth, but a truth the admin and the Harpers were vehemently against being publicly revealed and she had to backtrack. If we think through the implications of it being suggested "someone" on her staff be ditched, but that she couldn't or wouldn't do that, it could raise problems in her next job search. TOTAL CONJECTURE -- but I have wondered.

Good point about Maria. But ya know, I wondered if what she reported may have actually been the truth, but a truth the admin and the Harpers were vehemently against being publicly revealed and she had to backtrack. If we think through the implications of it being suggested "someone" on her staff be ditched, but that she couldn't or wouldn't do that, it could raise problems in her next job search. TOTAL CONJECTURE -- but I have wondered.
A great example of why disinformation, esp by a "trusted" source, is so damaging. You can never unsee it.

The NEW staff needs to keep Maria and the herd out of the locker room, out of site and a long way from the program!!

All except Maria are either dead or have been out of the locker room and sight for a long, long time. Maria only hangs on as a "journalist" and she may have shot that wad this time.
"journalist" That is a Hoot..............but in a town with Knoxnewsless "Journalist is a low bar

A great example of why disinformation, esp by a "trusted" source, is so damaging. You can never unsee it.
Exactly. The way this played out there was zero chance that White would have given Kellie any option to stay on. Maria later posted that she was reporting "the social media narrative" and nothing from legit sources.

Reactions: 1reVOLver and glv98
Exactly. The way this played out there was zero chance that White would have given Kellie any option to stay on. Maria later posted that she was reporting "the social media narrative" and nothing from legit sources.
But could Maria have actually NOT gotten it just from social media narrative but in the interest of not permanently ticking off people decided to just say that's what happened? Yes, a lie. But maybe a necessary one under the circumstances?

I just still find it hard to believe she'd make quite that serious a blunder. If that's what really happened it's bad. If she DIDN'T just hear it on social media but from actual reliable sources, reported it, then ended up feeling she had to protect after exposing sources through that privileged info, then that is still bad but at least more understandable.

But could Maria have actually NOT gotten it just from social media narrative but in the interest of not permanently ticking off people decided to just say that's what happened? Yes, a lie. But maybe a necessary one under the circumstances?

I just still find it hard to believe she make quite that big a blunder. If that's what really happened it's bad. If she DIDN'T just hear it on social media but from actual reliable sources she ended up feeling she had to protect after exposing them, then that is still bad but at least more understandable.
Of course, that is a possibility. Only Maria knows for sure and, she now presents the paradox of being the person from Crete who says all Cretans are liars. Once your credibility is shot, there are reasonanble grounds to doubt any subsequent disclaimers about the original discrediting claim.

But I come back to the low likelihood that White would cede that much control by giving Kellie an option - you can stay if....

I think it is much more likely he had made a decision to fire Kellie and that was that.

Last edited:
It goes without saying that Summitt would not be as dominant today as she was back in the day. She coached when the sport was embryonic--and took advantage of that. There were fewer teams, FAR less competition, far fewer good players. Indeed, she was less dominant her last 10 years. Wasn't Geno 4-0 against her/us in NCAA titles games? Sad to say, I think he was--and she struggled with the offensive side of the game. Her success was much like Anson Dorrance's success in soccer at UNC--won a ton of titles in the early days of collegiate soccer--and while his teams are still very good, it's been a while since the Heels won a national title, though they've been close a lot. Wooden at UCLA coached at time when collegiate basketball was still pretty young and far different from the game we see now. UCLA hasn't been the same since he retired long ago, though they've had a handful of good teams and have won at least one post-Wooden national title. We'd still be strong if Summitt were still around--but surely not dominant. Look at Geno and UConn: still very good but no longer dominant.
Those NCAA tournaments many moons ago was win your conference and your in and if you don’t you go home.

Coaches in weaker conferences benefited over coaches in stronger conferences. Many great teams never got to NCAA tournament because their conference tournament was brutal or they got to NCAA tournament beat up injury wise…

Of course, that is a possibility. Only Maria knows for sure and, she now presents the paradox of being the person from Crete who says all Cretans are liars. Once your credibility is shot, there are reasonanble grounds to doubt any subsequent disclaimers about the original discrediting claim.

But I come back to the low likelihood that White would cede that much control by giving Kellie an option - you can stay if....

I think it is much more likely had made a decision to fire Kellie and that was that.
Agreed.

Reactions: madtownvol
The new coach speaks well. The previous coach's Southern twang was sometimes difficult to decipher.

I just still find it hard to believe she'd make quite that serious a blunder. If that's what really happened it's bad. If she DIDN'T just hear it on social media but from actual reliable sources, reported it, then ended up feeling she had to protect after exposing sources through that privileged info, then that is still bad but at least more understandable.
Can't remember exactly but when Maria retracted it, I believe she said someone had told her and they were wrong. People are saying . . .
Several have pointed out that Maria is a fan site columnist and should not be confused with Cora, who's a reporter.
The new coach speaks well. The previous coach's Southern twang was sometimes difficult to decipher.
Just when I think I've heard every single reason to throw shade at Kellie, here comes more. How must this poster have felt about Holly's accent?

I've lived in middle TN almost all my life. Graduated from UTK many years ago.

I've traveled extensively throughout the States and beyond. Have heard lots of English variations.

To me, Harper sounds like someone from the deep South. Not what I expected from a Sparta TN native.

I never attempted to understand Holly.

The "Jon" problem had been ongoing. It was nothing new and most in the AD knew it. He was a hinderance to the program and to Kellie. I do not believe he was Kellie's main problem -- she just wasn't a great coach and couldn't recruit well enough to be competitive. I also wonder if Danny White had approached her about changing up Jon's position over the last couple of seasons when he saw a pattern set in of undiscplined play, subpar recruiting and other team mishandlings? Most of us will never know. And Kellie was in a lose-lose situation with her coaching ability AND her husband being her right-hand man. Ultimately, I don't believe if Kellie would've reassigned Jon (or any other angle to make it seem like a good move for their family, etc) would've made a difference. She just wasn't getting the job done. My bigger question now as the firing settles in is: why couldn't Sam Williams haul in the recruits???

I thought Sam was supposed to be an ace recruiter like Jolette Law was, but that never happened while she was here. I don't know if NIL was a factor or not.

Reactions: Deebowbear
The "Jon" problem had been ongoing. It was nothing new and most in the AD knew it. He was a hinderance to the program and to Kellie. I do not believe he was Kellie's main problem -- she just wasn't a great coach and couldn't recruit well enough to be competitive. I also wonder if Danny White had approached her about changing up Jon's position over the last couple of seasons when he saw a pattern set in of undiscplined play, subpar recruiting and other team mishandlings? Most of us will never know. And Kellie was in a lose-lose situation with her coaching ability AND her husband being her right-hand man. Ultimately, I don't believe if Kellie would've reassigned Jon (or any other angle to make it seem like a good move for their family, etc) would've made a difference. She just wasn't getting the job done. My bigger question now as the firing settles in is: why couldn't Sam Williams haul in the recruits???
It was stated had he been in a non-coaching role as an analyst it would have been a non-issue.

Sam wasn’t the problem, it was the closer. Prior to NIL players opted to go elsewhere.

I thought Sam was supposed to be an ace recruiter like Jolette Law was, but that never happened while she was here. I don't know if NIL was a factor or not.
An assistant coach with recruiting responsibilities is supposed to be a rabatteur.*
The head coach is the closer. Sam did her job well. The closer couldn't close.

* rabatteur
[ masculine ]
noun
/ʀabatœʀ/ (also rabatteuse /ʀabatøz/ [ feminine ])

(CHASSE)
personne chargée de diriger les animaux vers les chasseurs
beater. person responsible for directing animals to hunters
Les rabatteurs parcourent la forêt.The beaters are walking through the forest.

VN Store

Back