10% "Talent Fee" added to ticket prices in 2025

What happened to the Players signing deals with companies that would pay the NIL? That should be the way this thing works; and was supposed to work, the University or NCAA not being able to interfere with a player's earning potential. NOW, we are looking at "Back Paying" players to 2016?? WTH? I'm thinking the University should be able to arrange deals for Athletes, and let the Burger Joints, Apparel Companies, Car Dealers, Skillet Manufacturers, whatever; pay. Each University should have an NIL department, since it's obvious we are there. What difference would it make? Tell a recruit, "We have a sponsor(s) lined up to take care of you at approximately 100K per season." Whatever..

I think that initially players drawing salaries from schools and the NIL deals will at least have the appearance of 2 completely separate things. The 3rd string long snapper and the 5-star QB will both make $100k (or whatever) as employees. Then the NIL collectives will continue to operate “independently” from the schools.

But the schools really don’t want to be the player’s employers. Workers Comp and other things come into play. Then are the employees fired after their 4 or 5 years ends? Will they be eligible for unemployment benefits? Schools aren’t in a good position to employ football players.

Then right to work states could complicate things if 5-stars opt out of joining the union.

What happened to the Players signing deals with companies that would pay the NIL? That should be the way this thing works; and was supposed to work, the University or NCAA not being able to interfere with a player's earning potential. NOW, we are looking at "Back Paying" players to 2016?? WTH? I'm thinking the University should be able to arrange deals for Athletes, and let the Burger Joints, Apparel Companies, Car Dealers, Skillet Manufacturers, whatever; pay. Each University should have an NIL department, since it's obvious we are there. What difference would it make? Tell a recruit, "We have a sponsor(s) lined up to take care of you at approximately 100K per season." Whatever..
Danny White sees the writing on the wall. College athletes are going to be declared employees by the courts. ALL OF THEM. The school will be obligated to pay them all and will end up having to negotiate salaries with a player's union.

At that point, the university will need a lot of money AND many schools will likely drop some non-revenue sports.

He's getting out ahead of the curve for better or for worse to try to offset coming revenue needs.

It's a business. He's running it like a business.

Danny White sees the writing on the wall. College athletes are going to be declared employees by the courts. ALL OF THEM. The school will be obligated to pay them all and will end up having to negotiate salaries with a player's union.

At that point, the university will need a lot of money AND many schools will likely drop some non-revenue sports.

He's getting out ahead of the curve for better or for worse to try to offset coming revenue needs.

It's a business. He's running it like a business.

And you didn't really answer my question. I know what Danny White is doing.

Basilio just said that the UTAD sold 13,000 tickets to 2 ticket brokers. I guess that’s a method to manipulate the supply. Take the tickets out of the mix to create a supply/demand imbalance and then dump them at the last minute.
just heard that as well... interesting. I'm sure we're not the only one to play this game though

You have a source for that?

Basilio said 13,000 went to 2 ticket brokers. One in Texas and I didn’t catch the other. He said it right at 1pm so it can be played back once he posts today’s show on his website.

Edit: one ticket broker (per TB) is in Houston and the other is in Atlanta.

Last edited:
Reactions: adam.vol and 99grad
And you didn't really answer my question. I know what Danny White is doing.
NIL is one thing. Salaries are another.

Right now, schools are responsible for some NIL.

In the future, schools will be paying salaries and the bill will increase for the schools.

That has nothing to do with whatever NIL players may also get from outside companies.

That’s not the kind of thing that he can casually throw out there and not put himself at risk of being sued.

He said one is in Houston and the other is in Atlanta.
He may be right.

But he has a lot of hyperbole, embellishing, and shading of truth through the years. If he proves something that's one thing, if he just says it ...my instinct is not believe him.

so we went from players that get money for advertising a product from a company, to havingAll of our fans pay them to play. So shouldn't we get more access to the players for autographs?

Reactions: tbwhhs
so we went from players that get money for advertising a product from a company, to havingAll of our fans pay them to play. So shouldn't we get more access to the players for autographs?
it's not just us... this is the new NCAA. To be honest, TN is where it is now because of NIL too... we have an advantage there over many. Whether we like it or not, if we want to be near the top, this is going to be the new normal.... not just in Knoxville

Basilio said 13,000 went to 2 ticket brokers. One in Texas and I didn’t catch the other. He said it right at 1pm so it can be played back once he posts today’s show on his website.

Edit: one ticket broker (per TB) is in Houston and the other is in Atlanta.
So over the 7 game home schedule, that's about 1860 tickets per game. Or 1.8% of the capacity of Neyland.

VN Store

Back