'13 VA RB Derrick Green (Michigan commit)

I think we will lose out here. I've not posted about Green simply because my gut says we are not landing him. I love CJG and he's a great recruiter but our record the last two years has scared players away IMO. Parents and friends have such an impact on players and when you are perceived as a losing program the last few years that hurts your chances to land players like Green. I think we will land Kemp and Watson, Lane, and Neal will really surprise people in CBJ offense. The bigger worry right now is landing some solid LBs, DBs, and WRs, and determining our QB for next season.

No clue on Green, but word of advice; ignore Mike Farrell. A month or two ago he tweeted that Clemson and UF led for North, with UT and UNC in the mix. This was a few days after North himself said UT and UNC were 1a and 1b, with UF and Clemson still in the mix. It's like he deliberately twists recruits words around and plays it up for the "hot" schools. I guess it kills him to think that kids of this caliber would actually not only consider but choose UT still.

Reactions: 1 person
No clue on Green, but word of advice; ignore Mike Farrell. A month or two ago he tweeted that Clemson and UF led for North, with UT and UNC in the mix. This was a few days after North himself said UT and UNC were 1a and 1b, with UF and Clemson still in the mix. It's like he deliberately twists recruits words around and plays it up for the "hot" schools. I guess it kills him to think that kids of this caliber would actually not only consider but choose UT still.

+1

From Rivals -

Lately, Michigan has been the favorite and it sounds like one of the future Wolverines is helping to persuade Green.

"David Dawson and I have a really good relationship," Green said. "He was there on my first visit to Michigan and we really clicked. We've stayed in contact so him re-committing to Michigan is a big plus for me. That was a big shocker for me to see him re-commit after he took another official. He's had his heart set on Michigan so I figured it would happen."

Green shared his thoughts on his other top schools.

"Coach Graham at Tennessee and I have a really good relationship," he said. "I've known him for about two and a half years. He's a great coach and definitely knows his stuff. I know that if I go to Tennessee, he can help me accomplish a lot of my goals.

"It's a pretty good coaching staff at Auburn," Green said. "I can tell after talking with Coach (Gus) Malzahn that he wants to change the program around. Also after talking with the offensive coordinator I can tell they're going to be doing some big things and they definitely want me. I'm just trying to build my relationship with them like I did with the old coaching staff...

"I'm not committing here and I don't have an exact date but I definitely know it's going to be in January," Green said. "I'm trying to get it out of the way so I can focus."

Green has two official visits left but doesn't know where or if he will take them. But he did talk about how he will fit into the spread offense at the U.S. Army All-American Game.

"I'm more of a power runner, a North-South guy, you can tell by my film and physical build but I also have the speed to go along with it," said the 6-foot,220-pound Green. "I would prefer to be in a pro-style offense where I can run North and South. I'm not one of those little scatbacks, I'll just run you over. I'll have to work within the system they have down here."

Doesnt michigan run the spread too?

It is my understanding that Hoke prefers a true Pro-Style offense but has been handcuffed by the spread personnel recruited by RichRod (specifically Denard Robinson). Unless I have completely missed something, you will seem them convert more and more to a more conventional pro-style offense as the talent is turned over...whereas, it is clear from watching Butch that we will be a spread team...he can call it "pro-style" all he wants but he is a spread guy...which is fine with me.

look at the OL's mich has recruited the last yr and this yr nobody in the country has done better i dont think that would suggest they wanna run it down peoples throat

Hoke has had the two best years of his coaching career with kids that "dont fit his system". You think he's going to ditch it?

I think all coaches eventually gravitate toward what makes them most comfortable...Hoke tried to make Robinson more of a conventional, drop back passer but it was clear that would not work with the talent on hand

maybe I should have said 2-back set...but it is clear from watching teams like Alabama, LSU and Florida this year that several teams still run a pretty conventional 2-back set...the re are many variations of the "I" formation...the pistol with two backs is not much different than the offset-I...

I want Green as much as the next guy but I'm not interested in blindly believing a guy is going to sign with us in the name of "being positive"...the truth is that the above quote from rivals does not sound good for us...does that mean he's not coming to UT...no...but my guess is that as far as offensive philosophy goes, Hoke's lines up more with that quote...that is if you take off the orange tinted glasses.

Reactions: 2 people
I think all coaches eventually gravitate toward what makes them most comfortable...Hoke tried to make Robinson more of a conventional, drop back passer but it was clear that would not work with the talent on hand

Was Hoke a prior OC? I thought he was on the defensive side of the ball.

Was Hoke a prior OC? I thought he was on the defensive side of the ball.

He was on the defensive side of the ball...so was Saban...it is clear that Saban prefers a certain type of offense...it seemed pretty clear upon Hoke's arrival that he was going to transition Michigan to a "pro-style" offense...there was a lot of talk about how Robinson would fit that style...Hoke adapted...odds are he will gravitate toward that plan...as they say, he is a "Michigan Man"...and that's how Michigan men are expected to do it up there...haha

VN Store

Back