'13 VA RB Derrick Green (Michigan commit)

-Interested in FSU and will unofficially visit.
- Mich tradition and continuity of coaching has them at the top
-auburn still in it and said he may visit
- We're still in it largely due to CJG. Likes CBJ and the staff.

Couldnt name a #2* and said he'd commit in January.

Probably in this thread, but here is a cliff notes version of a video interview from Green recently posted on Rivals. Sounds like we are in it, but nearly as close as we hoped. I think it would be a real surprise if we land this guy.

i think in CBJ offense, the running and passing percentages are somewhere around 50-50 (that's what i read somewhere anyway). i think the longer this drags out and with his relationship with CJG, we will get him come NSD

It is my understanding that Hoke prefers a true Pro-Style offense but has been handcuffed by the spread personnel recruited by RichRod (specifically Denard Robinson). Unless I have completely missed something, you will seem them convert more and more to a more conventional pro-style offense as the talent is turned over...whereas, it is clear from watching Butch that we will be a spread team...he can call it "pro-style" all he wants but he is a spread guy...which is fine with me.

100% correct, & I said since CBJ was hired that this would be a big factor. I think Green would be good in CBJ's offense b/c he does run the football & Green plays in the spread at his HS but you know Hoke & UM are selling him hard on a true pro-style offense that runs north/south.

Reactions: 1 person
After watching Cincinnati the other night and watching them against us last season it is obvious that CBJ's offense will be run from the shotgun 80%-90% of the time...that's more of a spread offense than "pro-style"...again, I have no problem with it...eager to see it in action...but he is saying "pro-style" because that appeals to recruits...his mentors (RichRod, Brian Kelly) are offensive gurus for sure...but they run variations of the spread.

Yep. :eek:k:

100% correct, & I said since CBJ was hired that this would be a big factor. I think Green would be good in CBJ's offense b/c he does run the football & Green plays in the spread at his HS but you know Hoke & UM are selling him hard on a true pro-style offense that runs north/south.

Yep, regardless of how finesse CBJ will be with his O, you know Hoke is showing DG film of Cincinnati going east West all the time and promising him a north south pro style offense if he comes to UM.

Well from what I watched this past season a good 80% or so of our runs came out of
The shotgun. And he was supposedly favoring us then. So what's the difference?

JMO..........Green is not coming here. Hope I am wrong but he has held it close to the vest and does not appear to be doing that now.

He can call it a pro-style offense all he wants, it's not. It's a Read/Zone Spread offense.

Or so Hoke will tell DG, which is all that matters. I doubt CBJ will have the exact same scheme as he did at Cincinnati, it's just a matter of convincing recruits of that before the season starts.

He can call it a pro-style offense all he wants, it's not. It's a Read/Zone Spread offense.

Is it possible that he ran the Read/Zone Spread at UC because he could and knows in the SEC, it did not look as good(see the UC/UT game)? Maybe he fully intends to change the offense up a bit now being in the SEC? Good coaches can adapt as needed.

Is it possible that he ran the Read/Zone Spread at UC because he could and knows in the SEC, it did not look as good(see the UC/UT game)? Maybe he fully intends to change the offense up a bit now being in the SEC? Good coaches can adapt as needed.

This is true, I'm going off of that data we know 100% for sure. He may adapt (& I hope he truly does), but I'll believe it when I see it.

just saw this

The current front page of The Wolverine teases a Mike Farrell video interview with VA RB Derrick Green, and the headline speaks for itself: "Green says Michigan has the edge". Lo and behold, that's exactly what he said($), confirming what most have presumed since Auburn and Tennessee fired their respective head coaches.

Green does, however, say that he's still open to other schools—and says recruiting is "picking up again," so it sounds like new schools are in contact with him—and his recruitment could stretch to signing day. That's a change from his earlier intentions to enroll early, and one that doesn't favor the Wolverines—Green's only visited Michigan, Auburn, and Tennessee, and would obviously be the favorite if he chose without seeing other schools.

just saw this

The current front page of The Wolverine teases a Mike Farrell video interview with VA RB Derrick Green, and the headline speaks for itself: "Green says Michigan has the edge". Lo and behold, that's exactly what he said($), confirming what most have presumed since Auburn and Tennessee fired their respective head coaches.

Green does, however, say that he's still open to other schools—and says recruiting is "picking up again," so it sounds like new schools are in contact with him—and his recruitment could stretch to signing day. That's a change from his earlier intentions to enroll early, and one that doesn't favor the Wolverines—Green's only visited Michigan, Auburn, and Tennessee, and would obviously be the favorite if he chose without seeing other schools.

Tends to make me think that he is looking for other options. He has had multiple opportunities to commit to UT but must not feel comfortable. If anything, we seem to be losing ground. I wonder where we would be without the parents here.

I want DG just as much as the next guy, but we are in play with quite a few good RB's. It won't be the end of the world if he chooses MI. He'll regret it after a year in that weather IMO.

Reactions: 6 people
I want DG just as much as the next guy, but we are in play with quite a few good RB's. It won't be the end of the world if he chooses MI. He'll regret it after a year in that weather IMO.

After watching his video I have to agree. I wonder about his potential at the next level especially with the speed in the SEC.

At least if we lose this battle the guy will be in the Big 10 not the SEC...for those thinking he may not have enough speed for the SEC.....Lattimore is not blazing fast but he was highly successful...speed is WAY overrated in gauging the quality of a back...it is great if the guy runs a 4.4 but it is more important that he have good vision, quick change of direction and is physical/aggressive. Green seems to fit that category.

Green "should" dominate the Big 10. I go back to 2007 after Florida blasted the favorite Ohio St. for the BCS NC. After the game Reggie Nelson was asked about Ted Ginn (who was an early first round pick of the Dolphins). Reggie Nelson simply said, "If he is so good and fast, why didn't he come to play in the SEC?" Enough said. Maurice Clarrett and Mike Hart dominated the Big 10. Back up backs in the SEC were way better than those two. Again, if Green is sold that he will put up monster stats in the Big 10, he probably will. If Green proves his medal in the SEC, he will be much more desired by an NFL club. If he is going for an education, both universities are top notch. :angdev:

Green "should" dominate the Big 10. I go back to 2007 after Florida blasted the favorite Ohio St. for the BCS NC. After the game Reggie Nelson was asked about Ted Ginn (who was an early first round pick of the Dolphins). Reggie Nelson simply said, "If he is so good and fast, why didn't he come to play in the SEC?" Enough said. Maurice Clarrett and Mike Hart dominated the Big 10. Back up backs in the SEC were way better than those two. Again, if Green is sold that he will put up monster stats in the Big 10, he probably will. If Green proves his medal in the SEC, he will be much more desired by an NFL club. If he is going for an education, both universities are top notch. :angdev:

Mettle* otherwise great post

One of the big stories at this year's U.S. Army All-American Bowl is the recruitment of Derrick Green. For a while there was a pretty clear picture of which teams were on top for the nation's No. 1 running back, but after some coaches were fired, many schools have been trying to figure out where they stand.

It's been widely assumed that Michigan has the upper hand for Derrick Green.
Lately, Michigan has been the favorite and it sounds like one of the future Wolverines is helping to persuade Green.

"David Dawson and I have a really good relationship," Green said. "He was there on my first visit to Michigan and we really clicked. We've stayed in contact so him re-committing to Michigan is a big plus for me. That was a big shocker for me to see him re-commit after he took another official. He's had his heart set on Michigan so I figured it would happen."

Green shared his thoughts on his other top schools.

"Coach Graham at Tennessee and I have a really good relationship," he said. "I've known him for about two and a half years. He's a great coach and definitely knows his stuff. I know that if I go to Tennessee, he can help me accomplish a lot of my goals.

"It's a pretty good coaching staff at Auburn," Green said. "I can tell after talking with Coach (Gus) Malzahn that he wants to change the program around. Also after talking with the offensive coordinator I can tell they're going to be doing some big things and they definitely want me. I'm just trying to build my relationship with them like I did with the old coaching staff.

"Miami is still firmly in it, after talking with Coach Richardson," he said. "They want me really bad. I can come in and get in the rotation early and get some playing time. Miami is definitely high on my list. It would be like thunder and lightning with Duke Johnson.

"I've been in contact with the Florida State offensive coordinator," Green said. "With the injury problem at running back, they definitely need me. He told me they aren't trying to bring me in and redshirt me, they want me to come down there and play.

"I've been keeping in contact with the running back coach from USC," he said. "When I went to New York City for the U.S. Army Player of the Year Tour, I spoke with Su'a Cravens. He called the USC running back coach and I spoke with him. He still wants me and said I need to come out there for a visit. I'd say USC is still in there."

Oregon was one of Green's top schools. Where do the Ducks stand now?

"There is not really any contact there, so it is what it is," he said.

But Green isn't ready to end the process.

"I'm not committing here and I don't have an exact date but I definitely know it's going to be in January," Green said. "I'm trying to get it out of the way so I can focus."

Green has two official visits left but doesn't know where or if he will take them. But he did talk about how he will fit into the spread offense at the U.S. Army All-American Game.

"I'm more of a power runner, a North-South guy, you can tell by my film and physical build but I also have the speed to go along with it," said the 6-foot,220-pound Green. "I would prefer to be in a pro-style offense where I can run North and South. I'm not one of those little scatbacks, I'll just run you over. I'll have to work within the system they have down here."

per rivals

VN Store

Back