'13 VA RB Derrick Green (Michigan commit)

You guys are bashing all these people, rightfully, but without very much knowledge about these posters. Most people look at stats and have never seen film on players. When they saw the film, a limited one, at the all America games, they made snap judgements about the players because it was the only time they saw them. And it's no secret that we all saw green who looked overweight and disinterested. Yes they should watch some film, but since they dont, what limited film they see is what they interpret. Green is a much better player than he showed. If you don't like the posts from these types, accept that the posts are uninformed, and ignore them. It's pretty simple.

You guys are bashing all these people, rightfully, but without very much knowledge about these posters. Most people look at stats and have never seen film on players. When they saw the film, a limited one, at the all America games, they made snap judgements about the players because it was the only time they saw them. And it's no secret that we all saw green who looked overweight and disinterested. Yes they should watch some film, but since they dont, what limited film they see is what they interpret. Green is a much better player than he showed. If you don't like the posts from these types, accept that the posts are uninformed, and ignore them. It's pretty simple.

GTFO with this logical bull shat! I get sick and tired of people bringing this ridiculous ideology to this board and expect to be not called out. Take it to the pub or endzone pal!:)

GTFO with this logical bull shat! I get sick and tired of people bringing this ridiculous ideology to this board and expect to be not called out. Take it to the pub or endzone pal!:)

Yeah! Why should we watch film? Star ratings are all we need to know how good a guy is!

Last edited:
Yeah! Why should we watch film? Star rating are all we need to know how good a guy is!

Actually it seems that 6-8 plays in an all star game is enough to evaluate a kid on. Forget the fact that his carries were for a higher YPC than the "better" backs. Don't worry about the film. Don't worry about all the stars. 6 carries and some on this board could tell you what the kid had for breakfast June 13th 2009. :)

"He's not as good, because I said so"! :eek:lol:

Reactions: 1 person
Yeah! Why should we watch film? Star rating are all we need to know how good a guy is!

The truth of the matter is that every logical fan would take either one in a heart beat and be ecstatic about it. The sad part is that we probably have less than a 50% chance at either of them. Some are delusional enough to think we can be picky at this point.

Yeah he started a few games in the NFL thanks to an injury to Shady, but to group him with the guys in that post to me is ridiculous. If he was truly elite like the ones in your list he would have been a lot more productive in his short lived career at UT. I realize there are some sour grapes involved but to say that Derrick Green isn't even close to Bryce Brown is a little crazy to me.

Yea and Peyton started his FR thanks to JC and Helton getting hurt. He looked good what little he did play while at UT. What else you got?

The truth of the matter is that every logical fan would take either one in a heart beat and be ecstatic about it. The sad part is that we probably have less than a 50% chance at either of them. Some are delusional enough to think we can be picky at this point.

Agreed. Honestly I'm happy with getting any of Green, Kamara, and Jojo Kemp.

I have less optimism in recruiting now then I have at any other time after the Dooley debacle. Dooley was a solid recruiter but besides Da'Rick and CP he couldn't really attract the big time prospects to UT, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

You must not have seen him play in Philly this yr. Yea he's a beast and will be even better next yr. But he was referring to what they did in HS

If he puts it in his head that he wants to be great, a la Arian Foster 3-4 years ago, I think he could have a comparable career.

The kid is talented. I wish him well.

Yea and Peyton started his FR thanks to JC and Helton getting hurt. He looked good what little he did play while at UT. What else you got?

I think Bryce did great as a FR. 4.6 yards a carry is getting it done in the SEC. Brown's issues were with those around him(family/friends) and had nothing to do with football.

Derrick Green is a take all day long. We would be very lucky to have him carrying the ball at UT.

TBH, Green's play and recruitment reminds me a lot of Enrique Davis coming out of HS. He MAY end up being good but his play, despite what the recruiting services say, didn't reflect it Saturday.

What? He looked good with only getting 6the carries and as Rivals said in their article looked as good as billed. He is and will be a great college RB. He's ranked where he is for a reason. Green, Kamara, Thurman were my 3 faves in that order, with Green being 1 all alone.Still would like Kamara as well.

What? He looked good with only getting 6the carries and as Rivals said in their article looked as good as billed. He is and will be a great college RB. He's ranked where he is for a reason. Green, Kamara, Thurman were my 3 faves in that order, with Green being 1 all alone.Still would like Kamara as well.

Rivals has a vested interest wouldn't you say? Agree to disagree.

Stats aren't always indicative of performance. He was average on Saturday. The "great" run you speak of was where he was in a "heavy package" where led around the end by Derrick Henry. You could've driven a Fiat around the end w that hole. Green consistently went down on first contact and appeared to shy away from contact ALL game.

I was expecting and hoping for a one cut back that used his vision and speed to get downhill as quickly as possible.

You dont base the ability of a player on an allstar game. You go by the whole body of work and he is a top notch RB and has great vision and speed.

Rivals may give him better reviews to justify their rankings, but I highly doubt that CJG is making him a priority simply because he has 5 stars.

You dont base the ability of a player on an allstar game. You go by the whole body of work and he is a top notch RB and has great vision and speed.

My assessment was not and is not based on one game sir. The post I was replying to asked me what did I see that particular game.

Not to mention the fact that most players in all-star games are trying their best to not get hurt. When you're already ranked as one of the top RB in the nation then you're not proving anything to the coaches watching and tearing your ACL isn't exactly going to kick start your college career very well.

Rivals may give him better reviews to justify their rankings, but I highly doubt that CJG is making him a priority simply because he has 5 stars.

CJG sees what Rivals and everyone else sees potential. ATP, however, he is just that. With hard work he could be special but his play to this point isn't indicative of that. Point. Blank. Period.

With all the RBs the new staff has offered, I think DG has informed them of his plans.

Dont believe so, or they wouldnt have spent all the time talking with him. As Fortenberry said, Vols are very alive with Green. We need atleast 3 RB's in this class, so you offer the ones you really like and take the first 3 or however many they plan on taking. But losing Bourque last yr, Neal will be gone after next season, Lane will be a JR as will Young plus who knows about Smith and Hill. I can see 3 taken at RB, a bruiser like Green and 2 APB.

CJG sees what Rivals and everyone else sees potential. ATP, however, he is just that. With hard work he could be special but his play to this point isn't indicative of that. Point. Blank. Period.

Incorrect. You dont make Green a 5* based on potential. He is one of if not the best RB and will only get better. But. I Am no expert and would bet anything your not either.

I think you are FOS. :hi:

His play to this point is what got him his 5 star ranking. If he had ran for 155 yards as a HS running back he would not be rated this high. His play on the field has made him #1 on Rivals and #2 on Scout. Of course most anyone would trust their evaluation to yours. He has an offer from just about every big time program in the country. Point. Blank. Period.

Dont believe so, or they wouldnt have spent all the time talking with him. As Fortenberry said, Vols are very alive with Green. We need atleast 3 RB's in this class, so you offer the ones you really like and take the first 3 or however many they plan on taking. But losing Bourque last yr, Neal will be gone after next season, Lane will be a JR as will Young plus who knows about Smith and Hill. I can see 3 taken at RB, a bruiser like Green and 2 APB.

This is actually how I'm reading all of the latest news. My optimism on Green has increased somewhat in the last 24 hours. We will see.

We can debate whether he's truly the best back available in this class, but I don't think there's a question that he'd be the best back on our campus if we got him. Lane and Neal are solid, but this guy is elite. Hope we get him.

VN Store

Back