'13 VA RB Derrick Green (Michigan commit)

Either Graham lands a quality back this year or you have to start questioning his alleged strength as a top recruiter. It's yet to happen.

While it is important to be a good recruiter to bring in talent; its more important to be a good coach. Being able to coach mediocre guys to be good players, and good players to be great is where its at . Just look at Lame Kiffen. They bring in some of the best recruits and are stacked with talent, and cant even beat GTech. Hell, even MTSU beat GTech

While it is important to be a good recruiter to bring in talent; its more important to be a good coach. Being able to coach mediocre guys to be good players, and good players to be great is where its at . Just look at Lame Kiffen. They bring in some of the best recruits and are stacked with talent, and cant even beat GTech. Hell, even MTSU beat GTech

RB is natural. Either you have it or you don't. A Coach isn't gonna make a RB have vision or break tackles. So yes, recruiting is important for him.

He recruits more than just RB's though. So that's why the comment should be questioned.

Pure craziness...

We have had several 3,4, and 5 star backs on campus. His job is to get them to campus and he has done that.

No his job is to close not get them on campus. Still I disagree that his recruiting ability should be questioned. CJG is going after the best of the best running backs and that's not an easy sell right now. How many high 4 star and 5 star players at other positions are we getting right now? Also CJG is not just recruiting RB's for us he has also been lead on Jalen Reeves Maybin, Riley Ferguson and Marquez North to name a few.

RB is natural. Either you have it or you don't. A Coach isn't gonna make a RB have vision or break tackles. So yes, recruiting is important for him.

He recruits more than just RB's though. So that's why the comment should be questioned.
True, a coach cant give you God given ability, but he can help you put it to use... You've got to be able to learn a play-book, blocking schemes, blitz pickups, etc. I didnt say recruiting wasnt important, just said it was more important for him to be able to coach that talent. He doesnt have to have a 5 star back to be labeled a success. If he can bring in a 3 star that "has it", and can turn him into a 5 star on the field, then its all good in my book.

Anyone blaming graham if we miss on elite backs is just trying too hard to find something to cry about. Graham had green on lock down until Dooley sucked balls. We would not still be under consideration for green and Derrick Henry would not have had us in top 2 without graham

No his job is to close not get them on campus. Still I disagree that his recruiting ability should be questioned. CJG is going after the best of the best running backs and that's not an easy sell right now. How many high 4 star and 5 star players at other positions are we getting right now? Also CJG is not just recruiting RB's for us he has also been lead on Jalen Reeves Maybin, Riley Ferguson and Marquez North to name a few.

probably should judge these guys (recruiters) based on the talent they bring in AFTER the kids play, not before. you trying to predict how a 17 or 18 yr old kid will perform as a football player for the next few years of his life. i dunno how much id trust the star system.

also, there is a reason he is the guy we kept on staff. our ol has struggled in run blocking over the past few years, but we started to improve our rushing game last year, and ive heard several attribute some credit to graham.

According to an article I read a few weeks ago, Green has been to Michigan several times. A lot more than UT. I just think he's headed to Michigan. I'm not sure why he wants to go so far away from home unless he has family ties there or something. I guess we'll find out soon but until I see otherwise I think he's Michigan bound.

The biggest piece of news coming out of the Mid-Atlantic recently is the announcement of Derrick Green's commitment date. The nation's top running back will be choosing among Michigan, Auburn and Tennessee on Jan. 26 in Richmond (Va.). The Wolverines hold a slight lead and the biggest threat is the Volunteers. Green has hinted at the possibility of taking another visit before committing but has not indicated if or where he will visit.

From Rivals

it won't be that bad if he doesn't commit to us. Lane looked great towards the end of the season. with an offensive sceme like the one thats coming in, and with the oline thats coming back it will be unstoppable

it won't be that bad if he doesn't commit to us. Lane looked great towards the end of the season. with an offensive sceme like the one thats coming in, and with the oline thats coming back it will be unstoppable

It looks real bad from a recruiting angle. It's not just Green here. How many RBs had a Tennessee offer and have gone elsewhere? We have early PT available and it looks like that does not make attractive to recruits. IMO, it looks real bad. Hopefully by NSD, things look a little better.

Reactions: 2 people
It looks real bad from a recruiting angle. It's not just Green here. How many RBs had a Tennessee offer and have gone elsewhere? We have early PT available and it looks like that does not make attractive to recruits. IMO, it looks real bad. Hopefully by NSD, things look a little better.

Definatley need to win some big battles to get noticed. Something Dooley came close on but never could finish on. Good Luck Butch!

According to an article I read a few weeks ago, Green has been to Michigan several times. A lot more than UT. I just think he's headed to Michigan. I'm not sure why he wants to go so far away from home unless he has family ties there or something. I guess we'll find out soon but until I see otherwise I think he's Michigan bound.

Michigan was using their former starting QB at tailback the last of the season. That is what I think is the real difference in his decision. Maybe he don't want to have to fight to be the man. I really don't know Michigan's RB situation, but I would bet that Lane and Neal are not just going to roll over and give up their playing time.

while i REALLY hope Green winds up in Knoxville, its not looking good. The Michigan situation for him is almost too good to pass up. His only competition is Fitz Toussiant, so basically no competition. They only ran the ball with Denard so much because it was their only option. Denard was a Rich Rod guy, not a Hoke guy, those days are done. And Michigan's current O-Line recruiting class for 2013 that Green will run behind is insane, and he will start from day 1.

I'm rooting for the Vols on this one, but I just don't see it happening.

while i REALLY hope Green winds up in Knoxville, its not looking good. The Michigan situation for him is almost too good to pass up. His only competition is Fitz Toussiant, so basically no competition. They only ran the ball with Denard so much because it was their only option. Denard was a Rich Rod guy, not a Hoke guy, those days are done. And Michigan's current O-Line recruiting class for 2013 that Green will run behind is insane, and he will start from day 1.

I'm rooting for the Vols on this one, but I just don't see it happening.

I agree. I hope picks here. The main thing we have going for us is that our rb coach is still here and green is close to him.

The impression out there is that UT hasn't been real RB friendly for awhile. If Jones can get some legit play out of the guys on the roster then he has more credibility.

Right now, he's selling promises while others are pointing to reality.

Funny thing is some have stated system is the biggest thing holding DG back from UT, but unless Hoke and AB are going to return to I formation or two back football they are using the same system CBJ is bringing to UT.

BTW, we all tend to think of our own reasons for a kid to go one place or the other. Sometimes it comes down to things we think are pretty meaningless like the quality of the food or walking distance to class. There are factors that play out strongly in UT's favor. Proximity to family and friends is a pretty big one. He will play in the SEC where even in a bad year like last fall the Vols will be on TV for more than half their games with almost all being national. Competition is stronger.

He's likely going to play next fall at either place. Being "the guy" might be attractive. If he's taking a longer view then maybe he wants to share the load to preserve his body for the NFL.

The vast majority of you who are expressing pessimism are doing so because you think whatever it is you would consider important is what he considers important and that he sees what you see. Those are not very sound assumptions.

Reactions: 1 person
Funny thing is some have stated system is the biggest thing holding DG back from UT, but unless Hoke and AB are going to return to I formation or two back football they are using the same system CBJ is bringing to UT.

Not the same but similar.

The pros are using more of those types of formations anyway. Running out of similar systems has not hurt quality RB's in recent years.

You're pretty much right. That should not be much of a consideration.

A poster on VQ named ssvols08 (not sure of his credibility) is claiming Green will be here this weekend.

His posts...

Green will be on Ut's campus this weekend/early week

Actually vols700 most will say im a troll and know nothing. But im willing to take heat on this one

It is my understanding he will be here to recruit for the big orange with a huge list of visitors in

TIFWIW

Hope he's right.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back