'14 FL LB Jakob Johnson (UT Signee 2/5/14)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jakob Johnson would back up AJ and get a lot of reps. He is a physical specimen,with all the tools. He hasn't had great coaching being from Germany, but he isn't raw. He will just get a lot better. He is a Bama size MLB, and he looks to have a lot better agility than AJ right now at 240. If he got much bigger, he would be an awesome DE.

He would soften the blow quite a bit if we don't get Grant into school. Bates, Mouhon, Weatherd and Johnson would be an awesome pull for LBs, and all would be ready to play physically next year. It will be fun hearing Bob Kesling trying to figure out if AJ or Jakob made a tackle.

Maybe I'm having a brainfart, but who is Grant?

I'm guessing that's a shortened way of saying Gavin Bryant.

Plus it's my name. I could be a LB, I guess.

Gavin Bryant. G-Bryant. G-Ryant. G-Rant. Grant. Okay, got it. Nice to meet you, Grant. If you are an LB, possibly even the one he's referring to, then you must certainly have a way to contact Coach Jones. Would you mind giving him a holler about this whole business of taking commitments from every football recruit in America? Us poor unenlightened fans are awfully curious about it, you see.

Reactions: 1 person
Looks like the team is allotted five additional scholarships for waterboy positions, and Butch hopes that one of those will be the next Bobby Bouchez.

Gavin Bryant. G-Bryant. G-Ryant. G-Rant. Grant. Okay, got it. Nice to meet you, Grant. If you are an LB, possibly even the one he's referring to, then you must certainly have a way to contact Coach Jones. Would you mind giving him a holler about this whole business of taking commitments from every football recruit in America? Us poor unenlightened fans are awfully curious about it, you see.

I think that you explained this perfectly from a psychological perspective. Well done. I have done this a lot of times this year, when referring to Gavin Bryant. Sometimes I speak to fast, perhaps I type/think to fast...

My nickname is Chig as in short for Chigger...I get under people's skin lol In hoc Brothers!

This is the kind of recruit that scares the hell out of me; the coaches fall in love with his measurables, size, etc. but...what does he look like on the field??

I'm not saying the kid can't play...but the ones who seemingly come out of nowhere just give me a sick feeling in my stomach, at least until I see them play.

Just because the kid can run like the wind and has ideal size, doesn't mean he'll be able to diagnose offensive plays, effectively drop back in coverage, or stuff the run up the middle.

This kid is a major project, IMO...but I'd like to see him in a Power T helmet, just not at the expense of one of our current LB commits or Garrett.

This is the kind of recruit that scares the hell out of me; the coaches fall in love with his measurables, size, etc. but...what does he look like on the field??

I'm not saying the kid can't play...but the ones who seemingly come out of nowhere just give me a sick feeling in my stomach, at least until I see them play.

Just because the kid can run like the wind and has ideal size, doesn't mean he'll be able to diagnose offensive plays, effectively drop back in coverage, or stuff the run up the middle.

This kid is a major project, IMO...but I'd like to see him in a Power T helmet, just not at the expense of one of our current LB commits or Garrett.

I understand the concern. However, I think with him being an EE is a major benefit. Also, Thig saw him play in person and then offered on the spot. He must have been impressed with his play on the field.

Jacques Smith says Hi.

Watching his recent HS tape he definitely has a nose for the football and is normally in the backfield making plays. Thig said he was the best LB prospect in this class. That's saying a lot.

Reactions: 1 person

Thig watched him play in person and then offered.

If you don't trust the coaches, the fact that 247 falls in love with every recruit that Butch discovers should give you some confidence.

Truth, his rating has skyrocketed since we first heard of him. He surely looks the part, next step is to get him in orange

I understand the concern. However, I think with him being an EE is a major benefit. Also, Thig saw him play in person and then offered on the spot. He must have been impressed with his play on the field.

Which is comforting...not to mention all if the praise he's received from Uzzi. I have no doubt whatsoever the kid has the all the physical gifts God bestows on someone but, my biggest concern is the mental aspect of the game and how he looks against SEC competition--does his dominance continue or will he be just another guy?

The phrase "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" always comes to mind.

Jacques Smith says Hi.

My thoughts exactly. Jacques, God bless the guy...he's not a bust but, I'd wager that you could find only a handful of fans who thought the guy has played up to expectations.

Watching his recent HS tape he definitely has a nose for the football and is normally in the backfield making plays. Thig said he was the best LB prospect in this class. That's saying a lot.

Definitely the highest praise there can be...but I am immediately cynical when it comes to statements such as these.

Coaches can fall in love with players as much, if not more, than anyone and for every statement like John Chavis' praise of Cordarrelle Patterson: "he's the best wide receiver prospect I've ever seen" (paraphrasing), there's a statement like Fulmer calling calling Chris Donald the best prospect in the state of Tennessee in 2007. (Patrick Willis went to Ole Miss that year)

If you don't trust the coaches, the fact that 247 falls in love with every recruit that Butch discovers should give you some confidence.

I trust the coaches but I'm just wary of prospects who come out of nowhere and only have ONE year of tape to watch.

It's not that I think the kid will be a bust but, just like everybody expected Woody Quin to come in a set the world on fire this year, measurables might get you a scholarship but it doesn't mean it will translate to [immediate] success.

40 times are overrated- signed all of our slow players

Truff.

Last edited:
Which is comforting...not to mention all if the praise he's received from Uzzi. I have no doubt whatsoever the kid has the all the physical gifts God bestows on someone but, my biggest concern is the mental aspect of the game and how he looks against SEC competition--does his dominance continue or will he be just another guy?

I'm not too concerned about his mental capacity to become a great football player. Germans tend to be very tactically astute sportsmen. I have no doubt he would be one of the most intelligent kids in this class. His experience level is obviously limited. That could be a fair concern, but its not like he is 22 and just starting to play football. He is young enough to get experience.

The phrase "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" always comes to mind.

My thoughts exactly. Jacques, God bless the guy...he's not a bust but, I'd wager that you could find only a handful of fans who thought the guy has played up to expectations.

Definitely the highest praise there can be...but I am immediately cynical when it comes to statements such as these.

Coaches can fall in love with players as much, if not more, than anyone and for every statement like John Chavis' praise of Cordarrelle Patterson: "he's the best wide receiver prospect I've ever seen" (paraphrasing), there's a statement like Fulmer calling calling Chris Donald the best prospect in the state of Tennessee in 2007. (Patrick Willis went to Ole Miss that year)

I trust the coaches but I'm just wary of prospects who come out of nowhere and only have ONE year of tape to watch.

It's not that I think the kid will be a bust but, just like everybody expected Woody Quin to come in a set the world on fire this year, measurables might get you a scholarship but it doesn't mean it will translate to [immediate] success.

Truff.

Sometimes you just gotta trust your eyes. He's a big dude who can run. Rare thing. Just a couple years experience playing. Uzi turned out alright and endorses him. If he sees superstar potential in him that's good enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back