'14 FL LB Jakob Johnson (UT Signee 2/5/14)

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's gotten praise from anyone that has seen him. Uzzi, Thig, 247. His film is nuts he looks and plays like Tarzan. I agree with the Fulmer statement, but Patrick Willis was in the NFL in 07. And just because there is one year of tape doesn't mean you pass on a guy if your stud LB coach honestly thinks he is the number 1 LBer in the country. JMO.

My bad on Willis...what was it '03?

As far as passing on Johnson...no. I'm not about to let my hesitancy forgo my better judgement. If Thig & Ritzmann think this kid is one of, if not the, best LB's in the nation, then he's a take, no doubt in my mind...but I want Garrett first, if we can get him.

Either way, this class is shaping up to be one of the best defensive classes to date.

And IF Johnson is as good as Thig thinks he is...wow.

At his current size, I could see him growing into a DE in college. While I know it is a common poster thing to try to move recruits to other positions, it seems like we have a solid DL class and a great, potentially excellent, LB class. With the number of LBs and the need to get faster on the field, it seems reasonable that some of the LBs will become DEs and some of the DEs will become DTs. At 6'4" and 240 lbs, if he gains 20 or so LBs and maintains most of his speed, he'd be an absolute terror off of the edge. That said, if he's truly the best LB in the country, I doubt they move him.

At his current size, I could see him growing into a DE in college. While I know it is a common poster thing to try to move recruits to other positions, it seems like we have a solid DL class and a great, potentially excellent, LB class. With the number of LBs and the need to get faster on the field, it seems reasonable that some of the LBs will become DEs and some of the DEs will become DTs. At 6'4" and 240 lbs, if he gains 20 or so LBs and maintains most of his speed, he'd be an absolute terror off of the edge. That said, if he's truly the best LB in the country, I doubt they move him.

If this kid is truly the best LB in the country why haven't the bigger schools in FLA offered yet? Just curious.

If this kid is truly the best LB in the country why haven't the bigger schools in FLA offered yet? Just curious.

His recruitment is puzzling to me. There is a rumor that Thigpen said he is the best LB in the country. There is another rumor that Constantin Ritzman agrees that he is the best, or one of the best, LB recruits in the country. I agree with you that these rumors are odd given the absence of offers from the Florida schools.

I wonder if Tennessee still plans to pay an in home visit to the parents in Germany. That would probably help close the deal. What a find by the staff.

His recruitment is puzzling to me. There is a rumor that Thigpen said he is the best LB in the country. There is another rumor that Constantin Ritzman agrees that he is the best, or one of the best, LB recruits in the country. I agree with you that these rumors are odd given the absence of offers from the Florida schools.

I hear you. I'm not saying he isn't, I just do not understand the limited amount of offers. Especially elite local offers. You know, UT has been the king of offering "diamonds in the rough" type players over the last 3-4 years. Correct me if I am wrong.... They haven't worked out too well. What are our chances here? 50%?

Tennessee has a fairly large German population right? Actually it appears FL has more nvm

Last edited:
I hear you. I'm not saying he isn't, I just do not understand the limited amount of offers. Especially elite local offers. You know, UT has been the king of offering "diamonds in the rough" type players over the last 3-4 years. Correct me if I am wrong.... They haven't worked out too well. What are our chances here? 50%?

Ordinarily, I would agree with you. That being said, Butch and Bajakian have made a living off of actually finding diamond in the rough type players, since that's about all they really had to work with at Cincy and CMU. Someone posted the list of current NFL players they've developed last night and it was quite impressive.

Where do you guys see our freshman LB's lining up if we get this guy. I think Bates is definitely OLB but Bryant , Mouhon, and this kid could all play MLB IMO

Want this dude to be a Vol. Great size and looks to be very intimidating on the field based on the picture of him standing by his coach. I know I would be. Great find by the staff! Wrap it up,Butch!

Ordinarily, I would agree with you. That being said, Butch and Bajakian have made a living off of actually finding diamond in the rough type players, since that's about all they really had to work with at Cincy and CMU. Someone posted the list of current NFL players they've developed last night and it was quite impressive.

I gotcha. Where can I find that list. I'm interested in seeing it. I know Fisher has got to be on it. He was a terrific find.

7_1085409.JPG

4-star Johnson's dream within reach

Reactions: 1 person
Here is an interesting excerpt from the article cited immediately above:

"When Jacksonville Ribault (Fla.) four-star linebacker Jakob Johnson reaches his dream of signing a football scholarship with an American university, he'll have to give an assist to Tom Snyder. The former Ferris State quarterback, who is in his second season for the Stuttgart Scorpions of the German Football League, was the first to notice Johnson's ability after seeing the senior linebacker in action. “He just saw me in practice and he told me he thinks I have the ability to go to the United States and really play college football," Johnson, a Stuttgart, Germany native, recalled. "That was what initially made me think about going to college.”

Who else is a Ferris State grad? Butch Jones. How much do you want to bet that Tom Snyder gave Butch the first heads-up about Jakob Johnson?

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 people
Here is an interesting excerpt from the article cited immediately above:

"When Jacksonville Ribault (Fla.) four-star linebacker Jakob Johnson reaches his dream of signing a football scholarship with an American university, he'll have to give an assist to Tom Snyder. The former Ferris State quarterback, who is in his second season for the Stuttgart Scorpions of the German Football League, was the first to notice Johnson's ability after seeing the senior linebacker in action. “He just saw me in practice and he told me he thinks I have the ability to go to the United States and really play college football," Johnson, a Stuttgart, Germany native, recalled. "That was what initially made me think about going to college.”

Who else is a Ferris State grad? Butch Jones. How much do you want to bet that Tom Snyder gave Butch the first heads-up about Jakob Johnson?

Definitely plausible. :good!:

Honestly, this kid has barely played football over here.

The upside is huge and honestly I think he could be amazing.

Just watch the kid play on film.

"This is way better than I expected when I came here," Johnson said. "I think I have five offers now and I think I'm going to start take my officials now so I can get them all in before Christmas if possible because I'll be graduating early so I really need to get going on this stuff."

"I want to experience the atmosphere and I'm starting to get a sense of what I want to major in so I'm really excited to see the actual school and all the facilities, too," Johnson said. "I get to see the people that play on TV every Saturday, too and that's pretty exciting. I just want to see how the atmosphere feels and see the rest of the coaching staff in person."

"I keep in touch with coach Thigpen most of the time and sometimes I talk to some of the other coaches. I talked to coach Jones before the Alabama game and I'm excited to meet all of the coaching staff, too," Johnson said.

"I want to get all of my visits out of the way and then take a week or so to think about it and talk to my dad on the phone and then I'll just go with my gut feeling," Johnson said.

-VQ

He plans to take all his OV's and then decide a few days before Christmas when he'll head home to Germany for the holidays.

Reactions: 5 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back