'14 FL LB Jakob Johnson (UT Signee 2/5/14)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is comforting...not to mention all if the praise he's received from Uzzi. I have no doubt whatsoever the kid has the all the physical gifts God bestows on someone but, my biggest concern is the mental aspect of the game and how he looks against SEC competition--does his dominance continue or will he be just another guy?

The phrase "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" always comes to mind.

Coaches can fall in love with players as much, if not more, than anyone and for every statement like John Chavis' praise of Cordarrelle Patterson: "he's the best wide receiver prospect I've ever seen" (paraphrasing), there's a statement like Fulmer calling calling Chris Donald the best prospect in the state of Tennessee in 2007. (Patrick Willis went to Ole Miss that year)

I trust the coaches but I'm just wary of prospects who come out of nowhere and only have ONE year of tape to watch.

He's gotten praise from anyone that has seen him. Uzzi, Thig, 247. His film is nuts he looks and plays like Tarzan. I agree with the Fulmer statement, but Patrick Willis was in the NFL in 07. And just because there is one year of tape doesn't mean you pass on a guy if your stud LB coach honestly thinks he is the number 1 LBer in the country. JMO.

He's gotten praise from anyone that has seen him. Uzzi, Thig, 247. His film is nuts he looks and plays like Tarzan. I agree with the Fulmer statement, but Patrick Willis was in the NFL in 07. And just because there is one year of tape doesn't mean you pass on a guy if your stud LB coach honestly thinks he is the number 1 LBer in the country. JMO.

Absolutely. If he thinks he's the #1 LB in the country I don't have a second thought about taking him over any uncommitted player that have a realistic shot at (other than possibly Jackson). I want him to be a part of this class more than Garrett now (couldn't care less what the recruiting service think after Thig's comment) if he truly believes that, and I don't know why he'd say it if he didn't.

Last edited:
Will OV to UT for the Vandy game...

Tennessee is in good shape with Johnson right now and surprisingly the only two official visits he has set up besides Tennessee is Tulane and Central Florida, although a Wisconsin official visit is possible as well.

-VQ

Reactions: 5 people
This kid looks like a grown arse man. He towers over his coach. What the heck are they feeding these kids these days.

Just read the wikipedia page on Willis - really a remarkable story - Patrick Willis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and lots of people were low on him coming out of HS - some guys just have that will to overcome that is difficult to measure - seems like Pwillis was definitely one of those guys

Just read the wikipedia page on Willis - really a remarkable story - Patrick Willis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and lots of people were low on him coming out of HS - some guys just have that will to overcome that is difficult to measure - seems like Pwillis was definitely one of those guys

I think I'd argue Patrick Willis was the greatest recruiting miss in Tennessee history. Although, he may not have become so great if he wasn't fueled by the rejection.

Reactions: 1 person
I think I'd argue Patrick Willis was the greatest recruiting miss in Tennessee history. Although, he may not have become so great if he wasn't fueled by the rejection.

it seemed like he had plenty of fuel from his personal life - not sure TN not offering was high on his list of worries - here is the section I read on wikipedia for those that can't click on link

"Willis grew up in abject poverty and had to take care of his younger siblings. By the age of 10, he worked full-time on cotton fields. At age 17, he left his home, a double-wide in a trailer park just outside of Bruceton, with his brothers, Orey and Detris, and sister, Ernicka, when his alcoholic father turned increasingly violent. The siblings moved in with Willis' high school basketball coach."

it seemed like he had plenty of fuel from his personal life - not sure TN not offering was high on his list of worries - here is the section I read on wikipedia for those that can't click on link

"Willis grew up in abject poverty and had to take care of his younger siblings. By the age of 10, he worked full-time on cotton fields. At age 17, he left his home, a double-wide in a trailer park just outside of Bruceton, with his brothers, Orey and Detris, and sister, Ernicka, when his alcoholic father turned increasingly violent. The siblings moved in with Willis' high school basketball coach."

He has said multiple times that it made him better and really hurt him. He was ready to commit right when the offer came, and cried when it never did.

He has said multiple times that it made him better and really hurt him. He was ready to commit right when the offer came, and cried when it never did.

wasnt aware of that - way before i started following recruiting - either way it was great to see how well he did for himself after the start he got in life

Absolutely. If he thinks he's the #1 LB in the country I don't have a second thought about taking him over any uncommitted player that have a realistic shot at (other than possibly Jackson). I want him to be a part of this class more than Garrett now (couldn't care less what the recruiting service think after Thig's comment) if he truly believes that, and I don't know why he'd say it if he didn't.

I just rewatched the highlight tapes of both Garrett and Johnson. You could make the argument that Johnson has more "upside" or "potential" (although I'd still disagree), there's no doubt in my mind that Garrett is the first take. He takes on the first blocker with much more definitiveness and speed. Johnson is much more tentative it appears. His tall frame has yet to develop the technique for proper leverage. I certainly hope Thig's assessment of Johnson is just hyperbole. Johnson, as others have said, is a project. Garrett is ready now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back