'14 FL LB Jakob Johnson (UT Signee 2/5/14)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So are you just sayin that we should fill up the roster with 3* s ? There are always exceptions but you can't assume that they are anything other than outliers. You sure can't compete in SEC with a bunch of them.

No I'm referring to those questioning taking this guy because of his Rivals 2*. A few clowns are asking why he's a take. I'm a star gazer to the fullest. I'm a firm believer that a roster full of 4-5*s will generally curb stomp a roster full of 2-3*s. I'm also a firm believer that when a coach who's recruiting nothing but elite players recruits a 2 or 3*, there's something to it. Generally the kid can play and is underrated which is clearly the case here.

Reactions: 7 people
trinityanimation.gif

Reactions: 1 person
No I'm referring to those questioning taking this guy because of his Rivals 2*. A few clowns are asking why he's a take. I'm a star gazer to the fullest. I'm a firm believer that a roster full of 4-5*s will generally curb stomp a roster full of 2-3*s. I'm also a firm believer that when a coach who's recruiting nothing but elite players recruits a 2 or 3*, there's something to it. Generally the kid can play and is underrated which is clearly the case here.

Would like to give more likes to this post.

Killer Klown.gif

So what are the strengths and weaknesses of Johnson's game

I don't know if it's because he started his play in Germany or what, but his form tackling is excellent. Much more sound than the shoulder knockout move that has become popular here in the States.

Kid is gonna learn under CBJ staff....Remember this years #1 draft pick that CBJ was only 1 of 2 to offer, name is Fisher for those of you who don't have a clue, if you can't understand CBJ has an eye for talent and how to develop talent then we are gonna have to listen to idiots till you just go quiet. Give CBJ a chance you haven't seen a class like this in years.
Try see the positive and quit hanging your hat on the now. Not CBJs recruits...DOOLEY"s
The team is gonna learn we all need to.

Reactions: 2 people
From the film I saw it's his explosiveness. We are all screaming team speed well this kid has it. He attacks the ball and with some good coaching will only go from raw talent to AA type status. This staff especially Coach T knows what it takes to compete in the SEC. Just watch, it's gonna been fun to watch this team again real soon.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't know if it's because he started his play in Germany or what, but his form tackling is excellent. Much more sound than the shoulder knockout move that has become popular here in the States.

jakobs weakness is, that he never had enough competition in germany...he was a fear for all offense players. on the tapes of the high-school it seams to be similar. he need competition to use his acceleration and speed. his tackling is definately improveable...he jumps way too much...got to keep his feet on the ground and work with his legs through bodys....angles are improveable down hill....coverage discipline....pick up blocks....etc...nothing will work easy anymore ...

Reactions: 4 people
jakobs weakness is, that he never had enough competition in germany...he was a fear for all offense players. on the tapes of the high-school it seams to be similar. he need competition to use his acceleration and speed. his tackling is definately improveable...he jumps way too much...got to keep his feet on the ground and work with his legs through bodys....angles are improveable down hill....coverage discipline....pick up blocks....etc...nothing will work easy anymore ...

Looking forward to enjoying the ride these next 4-5 years

Reactions: 4 people
I may be wrong (or even remembering wrong), but I'm pretty sure I remember Dobbs calling an audible at the line. Could have changed the hole the run was designed to go to based on something he saw in Vandy's alignment but didn't consider who would have to block it.

This is also my recollection - seemed to check off at the line of scrimmage and check into a disaster.

So where does this guy project for us? Is he an OLB? A MLB? Could he eventually end up with his hand in the ground a la Corey Vereen?

So where does this guy project for us? Is he an OLB? A MLB? Could he eventually end up with his hand in the ground a la Corey Vereen?

IF Thig's opinion of him being the best LB in the country is accurate, LB should be his ideal position. We could use some speed at LB and him being 235+lbs with speed is something we have been missing.

From JC Shurburtt on 247:

“He kind of just rose out of nowhere[.] I mean, he’s 6-3. He’s 235 pounds. He can run. He’ll hit you. He’s just an excellent inside-linebacker prospect. He’s fundamentally sound enough, from what I’ve seen on film, to step in and contribute, as long as he’s physically able to handle it.”

“I mean, obviously, (Johnson is) not rated as highly or as highly regarded, but a lot of times in recruiting there’s just a tiny bit of difference the best of the best and the rest of the best,” Shurburtt added. “And I think Johnson’s definitely in that rest-of-the-best category. Watching him on film, I was extremely impressed.

“He’s got good size on him. Not an overly swift-of-foot guy, but, heck, he’s an inside linebacker. If you have an inside linebacker running a 4.4, you’re doing something right. Those guys aren’t normally that fast.

“But lateral movement compared to what his speed is in a straight line is much more important, and he has no trouble closing. His closing speed’s excellent.”

Very positive review from a guy that has the power to bump his rating.

Reactions: 8 people
HOW DOES JOHNSON FIT IN?

Johnson looks like he's as versatile as they come for a linebacker. He has great size at 6-3 and around 235-pounds and his film shows he can do a little bit of everything. He also has a burst to the line of scrimmage that Tennessee has lacked in recent years and when he gets moving downhill he packs a big punch.

Tennessee is losing Dontavis Sapp, Brent Brewer and John Propst from its linebacker rotation and A.J. Johnson may leave early, too. That means there will be ample playing time available for Johnson and all Tennessee linebacker signees.

Curt Maggitt should be back healthy next year but beyond Maggitt there doesn't seem to be any other answer at linebacker. Thigpen likes to rotate his linebackers and the Vols have greatly suffered from a lack of depth at that position this year.

It may take Johnson some time to get used to SEC football, but he may work his way into the rotation because of the lack of depth at Tennessee.

-VQ

Reactions: 2 people
"On tape Johnson brings some versatility to the position. He is very good in a two-point stance rushing the passer or on delayed blitzes from the A gap. Very physical at the point of attack. Nice wingspan and ability to use his arms to make plays and swallow ball carriers. Drives through his man with lower body strength.

"Plays a tad upright. Would like to see more bend because the athleticism is there. Flies to the ball and has above average linear speed when attacking downhill. Active and disruptive. Goes a 100 miles an hour. I like that. If he makes a mistake it's because of effort. You can tell he is a bit raw and does a lot of guessing, but those things can be taught like reading keys and understanding formations.

"Not bad in pass coverage, but need a bigger sample size. I like his willingness and aggressiveness on special teams. Always ball carrier backwards. He doesn't do a lot of arm tackling. Likely won't end up on the soft tape.

"This is a nice under the radar pick up for Tennessee. Johnson can rush the passer, play the run, and provide help on special teams. If he keeps progressing and developing he could be a starter in two years. Excellent size and frame to move along the front seven."

-Kynon Codrington, Rivals

Reactions: 3 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back