'15 GA DT Quay Picou (UT Signee 2/4/15)

Will be a DE

You serious Clark? He's already 6'3" 290 and I'd say it won't take him long to get to 300+ when he gets on campus. We have 2 other studs committed at his position in this class but we are still a little thin at the position. You need 4 or even 5 DTs to rotate during a game to keep them fresh. Man it will be nice to finally have depth on the d-line, and the 2014-2015 class are going to go a long way to establishing that for us.

Last edited:
Georgia is right up there this year unfortunately. According to Rivals they might be a little ahead of us in DL recruiting.

If we lose Sawyers and Henderson that will really deminish the depth of last years DL class. I hope those guys make it back.

I don't see how UGA is ahead of us on the DL.

Reactions: 2 people
I don't see how UGA is ahead of us on the DL.

The DT that they have committed (Trent Thompson) is rated by some as being better than McKenzie, but that is a joke. He did not attend camps and go against stud OL like the other DTs, so some of his rating is speculation. I watched him play on ESPN and while he had five tackles he was not dominant and got blown up a few times as well.

I will take who we have any day

We're clearly ahead of them at DT. But based on the 247Sports Composite rankings, 3 of Georgia's 4 DE commits are ranked higher than our top DE commit (Butcher).

Good news is that no matter how well Georgia recruits they still look like Georgia. We have given them fits with a lot less talent. The Vols will beat the bulldog shiz out of that team when we get all the pieces in place.

Reactions: 4 people
Good news is that no matter how well Georgia recruits they still look like Georgia. We have given them fits with a lot less talent. The Vols will beat the bulldog shiz out of that team when we get all the pieces in place.

Agreed! Regardless of the talent on the defensive side of the ball or who their DC is, the Dogs will always need to score 42 to have a chance to win.

Reactions: 1 person
This guy can play 0 technique and bust the center right in the mouth play after play. Size, leverage, and a nasty streak.

I'm glad we're bringing in another quality DT besides the two 5 stars. Depth, depth, and more quality depth please.

We're clearly ahead of them at DT. But based on the 247Sports Composite rankings, 3 of Georgia's 4 DE commits are ranked higher than our top DE commit (Butcher).

If you look at 247s own rankings though, they have Darrell Taylor rated ahead of both Rivers and Barnett.

With four 4-star DE's already committed I have a hard time seeing Walker ending up at UGA. That would just be an odd choice.

Did I understand it right? I believe somebody said in the Austin Smith thread that Picou was 2nd string tonight. Has he been injured? This thread was buried, and nobody's been talking about this kid much. I was wondering if any of you guys had any fresh info. Thanks.

Did I understand it right? I believe somebody said in the Austin Smith thread that Picou was 2nd string tonight. Has he been injured? This thread was buried, and nobody's been talking about this kid much. I was wondering if any of you guys had any fresh info. Thanks.

He started along with Shug Frazier at DT.

Not watching tonight but Buford played on ESPN earlier in the year and they rotated the defensive line the entire game. He was the only DT I noticed used in their 0-technique situations.

Not watching tonight but Buford played on ESPN earlier in the year and they rotated the defensive line the entire game. He was the only DT I noticed used in their 0-technique situations.

Pardon my ignorance on the football terms, but I see a lot of people talking about 0-1-2-3 technique and so on along the D-line. What does that exactly mean? Thanks

Pardon my ignorance on the football terms, but I see a lot of people talking about 0-1-2-3 technique and so on along the D-line. What does that exactly mean? Thanks

It's a reference to where they line up in relation to the offensive linemen and their gap responsibility. For example, someone playing the 0-tech would line up directly over the center (like a 3-4 nose tackle). A 5-tech lines up over the OT. There are a ton of variations. A quick google of "defensive line positions and techniques" should provide you with all the information you're looking for.

It's a reference to where they line up in relation to the offensive linemen and their gap responsibility. For example, someone playing the 0-tech would line up directly over the center (like a 3-4 nose tackle). A 5-tech lines up over the OT. There are a ton of variations. A quick google of "defensive line positions and techniques" should provide you with all the information you're looking for.

Okay thanks. I've always wondered why people would say certain players were better suited for this technique rather than this one and I never knew what they meant. I've never played organized football so most every 4-3 D-line sets that I watch look the same to me.

So how come people say players are better suited for certain techniques? Is it because of size? I feel like most every DT would be able to play all the techniques for a DT

Okay thanks. I've always wondered why people would say certain players were better suited for this technique rather than this one and I never knew what they meant. I've never played organized football so most every 4-3 D-line sets that I watch look the same to me.

So how come people say players are better suited for certain techniques? Is it because of size? I feel like most every DT would be able to play all the technalot iques for a DT
Size has alot to do with it.So does gap responsibilitay.Can the player be a 2 gap guy or is he only a one gap guy.Size and athleticism are 2 big ones.

Yep and we have great athletes to play all over. Can't wait. Imagine McKenzie and Tuttle in corresponding 4ii techniques and then Maggitt and Weathered standing in a
7. Boy that would be awesome for passing situations.
Edit: All just wishful thinking obviously. I leave the alignments up to Jancek and Co. to use the talent at their disposal.

Last edited:
Yep and we have great athletes to play all over. Can't wait. Imagine McKenzie and Tuttle in corresponding 4ii techniques and then Maggitt and Weathered standing in a
7. Boy that would be awesome for passing situations.

I was starting to understand these technique and assignments until you threw those letters in there lol what does 4ii mean?

I was starting to understand these technique and assignments until you threw those letters in there lol what does 4ii mean?

They would be lined up over the guards

Center is 0-1
Guards are 3-5
Tackles 7-9

I believe that's right been a while since my high school days haha

Not sure about the two I's, but I believe one I (4i for instance) is also a positioning thing, specifically "inside" probably the OL's shoulder.

Hope this helps...

OLDLTech_crop_exact.png

Here's another one that's a little more advanced...

DefensiveLineTechniqueNumbering.jpg

Here's another:

Defensive_Line_Techniques_and_Gaps.jpg

Here's a great site as well:

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/...tion-of-4-3-front/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

And this is also a very info filled site:

The "Bear" Defensive Front - Shakin The Southland

Last edited:

VN Store

Back