'17 AL DE LaBryan Ray

So he's not gonna be a good NFL.player then, correct

I never said Barnett wouldn't be a good NFL player. I've consistently compared him to Charles Johnson of the Panthers. A guy who has started for 10 years in the league on a good defense. Barnett will likewise be a solid 10 year starter who will make a pro-bowl or two.

I just said he wouldn't be a STAR on the next level.

There are plenty of good NFL players that aren't stars.

Reactions: 2 people
Dang! Hate when a kid's future is doomed before we even get the commit. :no:

Dec. 22 update: Ray remains busy on the visit trail and Ole Miss was the latest to get he and the family on campus. Although it impressed, Tennessee and Florida appear to be more legit out-of-state threats for the top player in Alabama. The Crimson Tide will have a spot for him either way and it is not often Alabama coach Nick Saban loses an in-state priority like this one. Tennessee is the top threat to the Tide and he is going to go the distance with the process.
Scout

Reactions: 8 people
Gonna be a huge pickup, I feel like we are due

I agree. Plus, don't know why he would want to go there and no play for 2 years when he can come here and contribute immediately. Hopefully that's enough for him to choose the Vols

At some point the bama depth chart is going to cause them to lose a few. I think Ray just may be the one that takes his talent to Big Orange Country, he can play quicker and we have the players to go win games. Players like Ray can get us back to winning championships, we have a lot of players returning and if we can land a few gems here at the end we are in great shape moving forward. GBO!!!!!

Reactions: 1 person
This staff, well Stripling and Gillespie, has proven it can develop DEs and RBs. The opportunity for Ray to come in and replace Barnett has to be very appealing. The fact that he isn't jumping on the Bama offer immediately says two things: he is very interested in Tennessee and he is very talented (Saban extending the offer up until NSD when Bama has top guys wanting to commit now)

Reactions: 4 people
So for this class, we parted ways with 2 DTs (Gaddy's) and one DE (Lawson) and added Johnson (DE) and Butler (could see time at DT or DE). Parted ways with those guys earlier to make room for Johnson, Butler and Ray? Add in Crosby and Bennett at DT and Bumphus at DE, that'd be 6 d line in this class? I'd be stoked about that!

At some point the bama depth chart is going to cause them to lose a few. I think Ray just may be the one that takes his talent to Big Orange Country, he can play quicker and we have the players to go win games. Players like Ray can get us back to winning championships, we have a lot of players returning and if we can land a few gems here at the end we are in great shape moving forward. GBO!!!!!
Bama's DE depth:
5 seniors (will be gone)
1 junior
0 soph
0 fresh
2 2017 commits
Ray will get to play right away at Bama, starting or at least rotating.

Last edited:
Bama's DE depth:
5 seniors (will be gone)
1 junior
0 soph
0 fresh
2 2017 commits
Ray will get to play right away at Bama, starting or at least rotating.

I don't think Ray is looking to play 3-4 DE like Jonathan Allen. If he goes to Bama its more likely he plays OLB. He's naturally more suited to being a 4-3 DE like Barnett.

Scheme could be a factor working in Tennessee's favor. His best position is as a 4-3 DE not a 3-4 OLB or 3-4 DE.

I don't think Ray is looking to play 3-4 DE like Jonathan Allen. If he goes to Bama its more likely he plays OLB. He's naturally more suited to being a 4-3 DE like Barnett.

Scheme could be a factor working in Tennessee's favor. His best position is as a 4-3 DE not a 3-4 OLB or 3-4 DE.
Well shucks. I guess Saban can't evaluate talent well and is just wasting his time recruiting him.

Last edited:
31 out of 31 crystal balls for Bama..I just don't see us getting Ray or Akers...hope I'm wrong on both

Reactions: 4 people
Are Quinnen Williams, Terrell Hall, and Jamar King not still there? I know Williams is technically a DT, but thought I read he can play DE too.
King is departing SR. Hall is listed on the depth chart at Jack LB. I don't see Q Williams listed at all.

VN Store

Back