'17 AL DE LaBryan Ray

He's asking if the list you gave is the order of favorites, UA/UT/UF.
Thanks. I figured that out and answered him (above).

Fwiw, this article says Ray is considered to be leaning toward Alabama:

Tennessee recruiting: Decision day for coveted cornerback Yusuf Corker

"DE LaBryan Ray — The 4-star pass rusher from James Clemens (Madison, Ala.) is considered an Alabama lean, but Ray will take an official visit to Tennessee on Jan. 13, as the Vols will try to convince the top-50 player to leave the Heart of Dixie."

Last edited:
Well shucks. I guess Saban can't evaluate talent well and is just wasting his time recruiting him.

Not saying Saban can't evaluate talent. Ray is good enough to be a really good 3-4 DE after a year in the weight room to get bigger.

I'm simply saying that from a self-interest point of view, if Ray doesn't want to be a 3-4 DE (and many pass rushing defensive ends don't like playing in that scheme since it involves less pass rushing opportunities than being a DE in a 4-3 scheme), scheme could be a factor that keeps him from wanting to be at Alabama.

I'm simply just hypothesizing as to a reason why he could choose Tennessee over Alabama. I'm not saying anything about Saban or Alabama in terms of how good the program is or how great the coach is.

Reactions: 1 person
Not saying Saban can't evaluate talent. Ray is good enough to be a really good 3-4 DE after a year in the weight room to get bigger.

I'm simply saying that from a self-interest point of view, if Ray doesn't want to be a 3-4 DE (and many pass rushing defensive ends don't like playing in that scheme since it involves less pass rushing opportunities than being a DE in a 4-3 scheme), scheme could be a factor that keeps him from wanting to be at Alabama.

I'm simply just hypothesizing as to a reason why he could choose Tennessee over Alabama. I'm not saying anything about Saban or Alabama in terms of how good the program is or how great the coach is.
It's all good. I didn't think you meant anything negative about Bama or Saban. I was making a point, but also just kidding around in the way I responded.

Regarding pass rushing from the outside edge, it is true that one of the 3-4 DEs sometimes shifts inside, when the "Jack" LB edge rushes with his hand down, which basically puts the D in a 4-3. That DE is still a pass rusher, just not positioned on the outside edge.

Bama rotates D-front personnel, moves them around, stunts, blitzes, etc., against both the run and pass, disrupting blocking schemes. Rotations spell D-front players, but they are also designed to better utilize various players' strengths.

It's also noteworthy that Bama has transitioned to leaner, faster D-front personnel to better defend against the up-tempo spread offenses that are so prevalent nowadays.

Ray is listed 6-4, 255 lbs. With his frame and a program designed for him by a good S&C coach and nutritionist, he could add some good muscle weight by fall camp.

I don't know if Ray prefers or is better suited to play in a full-time 4-3 scheme or if it's even a major criteria in making his college choice. About half of the NFL teams run 4-3 and half run 3-4. The trend is more NFL teams moving to 3-4.

Last edited:
If someone came in here in December before his signing day and said DB was going to be the next Reggie White what would have been the reaction? Nobody has any clue at this stage.

Just going by the odds. Adkins-White-Barnett stand atop, following that measure we won't see another like them for 30 years. Barnett won us multiple games from the DE position. That's rare, but yeah no one knew DB would hit to this degree.

Fortenberry just talked to Ray...

Tennessee will get that first visit coming out of the dead period. Then, he said he wants to visit Miss. State, Alabama and Florida. Right now, the plan is likely Bama the second weekend and then Florida last. He's mentioned trying to see State and Ole Miss at some point in January as well.

Ray said he likes that Walk Wells is on staff for the Vols and that he has that tie with his family.

He was asked about Alabama being the assumed leader and he said basically he's wanting to see what the others have to offer. He told me that he has one school in mind he's comparing everyone else to.

I assume that's Alabama, but that's obviously just an assumption on my part.

We will have a story on him and the national guys have a video interview.

Maybe winning a national title but getting to the NFL as an early round draft pick are just as good if not better for Ray at TN. Saban has been at bama 10 yrs Butch at TN 4 yrs. Butch' first full recruiting class where he had a year to build & cultivate relationships landed Barnett who will be a first round pick in the draft.

GO VOLS!!!

That's just not remotely true. Go back and look st the number of players each school has put in the NFL over the last 3 years, 5 years, 10 years. Barnett had a better season this year and has had a more productive career, yet Jonathan Allen of Bama is projected to go higher in the draft than Derek, perhaps as the number 1 overall pick,

Glad we have Barnett going first round this year, but then who else? How many players from Tennessee are getting drafted this year and in what rounds are they going? You surely don't want to compare our 2017 NFL draft to Alabama's, do you? Come on man, the truth is the truth.

Last edited:
That's just not remotely true. Go back and look st the number of players each school has put in the NFL over the last 3 years, 5 years, 10 years. Barnett had a better season this year and has had a more productive career, yet Jonathan Allen of Bama is projected to go higher in the draft than Derek, perhaps as the number 1 overall pick,

Glad we have Barnett going first round this year, but then who else? How many players from Tennessee are getting drafted this year and in what rounds are they going? You surely don't want to compare our 2017 NFL draft to Alabama's, do you? Come on man, the truth is the truth.

Are you saying that Ray has a better shot at the league by attending Bama? Is that what your referencing in your not remotely true response?

Where you played in College has no weight on making it in the NFL. If you think it does, pull up a few NFL rosters and explain the guys starting from colleges like South Dakota State/Delaware/E Michigan/Ga Southern and the other 80+ colleges represented in the league.

And You referencing Allen and Barnett is futile. If College success translated to NFL success, Peter Warrick and Desmond Howard would be in Canton.

Reactions: 3 people

The truth is the draft isn't until April. Until then, it's all mindless fodder. Besides, let's see where Cam Sutton and Alvin Kamara grades out before riding the Barnett or bust train.

Are you saying that Ray has a better shot at the league by attending Bama? Is that what your referencing in your not remotely true response?

Where you played in College has no weight on making it in the NFL. If you think it does, pull up a few NFL rosters and explain the guys starting from colleges like South Dakota State/Delaware/E Michigan/Ga Southern and the other 80+ colleges represented in the league.

And You referencing Allen and Barnett is futile. If College success translated to NFL success, Peter Warrick and Desmond Howard would be in Canton.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Why don't you pull up the last 9-10 drafts and let us know how many players Alabama has had drafted vs how many Tennessee has had drafted. It's a numbers thing....right now, a player from Alabama is much more likely to be drafted into the NFL than a player from Tennessee.

I'm aware that the league is littered with players from smaller, "lesser" programs. But that's not what we're discussing here. What we're talking about is comparing/contrasting the probability of an Alabama player making it to the NFL a Tennessee player making it to the NFL. Pick the last 2 years, 5 years or 10 years, and I think you'll see that far more Alabama players have been drafted than Tennessee players.

As far as me bringing up Allen, I only did so because you brought up Barnett. It was an apt comparison. Both are about to go in the first round and, as I said, despite Barnett having the better season and career while playing the same position, Allen is about to be chosen several spots ahead of Barnett....there could be several reasons why....guarantee you the fact that Allen plays for Bama/Saban and has been apart of multiple championship teams is one of them.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Why don't you pull up the last 9-10 drafts and let us know how many players Alabama has had drafted vs how many Tennessee has had drafted. It's a numbers thing....right now, a player from Alabama is much more likely to be drafted into the NFL than a player from Tennessee.

I'm aware that the league is littered with players from smaller, "lesser" programs. But that's not what we're discussing here. What we're talking about is comparing/contrasting the probability of an Alabama player making it to the NFL a Tennessee player making it to the NFL. Pick the last 2 years, 5 years or 10 years, and I think you'll see that far more Alabama players have been drafted than Tennessee players.

As far as me bringing up Allen, I only did so because you brought up Barnett. It was an apt comparison. Both are about to go in the first round and, as I said, despite Barnett having the better season and career while playing the same position, Allen is about to be chosen several spots ahead of Barnett....there could be several reasons why....guarantee you the fact that Allen plays for Bama/Saban and has been apart of multiple championship teams is one of them.

I feel like we're discussing two separate points.

1) of course Bama has more players in the league, it corresponds to their recruiting rankings over the last 8 years. They have they most talented roster in CFB.

2) where you go to college doesn't determine making it to the league. Whether Ray goes to Bama or Toledo, if he is good enough to play in the NFL, he will find his way there regardless of college.

3-4 DE/DT aren't the same as a 4-3 DE. Allen is projected to go higher because of the versatility that he's shown and how productive he's been at positions that aren't normally that productive. It's very rare for a 3-4 lineman to get as many sacks and TFL as he's gotten.

Alabama has more players drafted because they've been more talented in the past few years, and that's all the NFL cares about. They don't care which program a player comes from

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back