'17 AL DE LaBryan Ray

I understand, and no disrespect to UT, but I'll be VERY surprised if Ray doesn't roll with the Tide on NSD.

Maybe so but he'll have a better chance of playing time at Tennessee. It's not like Bama is in desperate need of him. Hopefully Ray will realize that.

We all will, but we need a guy like him and are hoping for the best
I do hope the Vols do well in recruiting, as long as y'all don't get the recruits Bama wants. Who else will the Vols likely get/take at DE if they don't get Ray?

Last edited:
Maybe so but he'll have a better chance of playing time at Tennessee. It's not like Bama is in desperate need of him. Hopefully Ray will realize that.
I disagree. Bama is VERY thin at DE and VERY much needs him. I've posted the evidence of that. Very strong chance he would play a lot right away at Bama, maybe even start, at least a lot of rotational playing time.

Last edited:
I disagree. Bama is VERY thin at DE and VERY much needs him. I've posted the evidence of that. Very strong chance he would play a lot right away at Bama, maybe even start, at least a lot of rotational playing time.
But Ray's best position isn't 3-4 DE, or 3-4 OLB, it's 4-3 DE. So it doesn't matter how many DE (essentially DT in your scheme)you guys need, that doesn't mean Ray is a fit for the position.

But Ray's best position isn't 3-4 DE, or 3-4 OLB, it's 4-3 DE. So it doesn't matter how many DE (essentially DT in your scheme)you guys need, that doesn't mean Ray is a fit for the position.
Are you sure? I figure Saban knows how to evaluate, develop and utilize talent in the mutually beneficial interest of Ray and Bama. I doubt he'd be a top priority if he wasn't a good fit for Bama's defense.

Are you sure? I figure Saban knows how to evaluate, develop and utilize talent in the mutually beneficial interest of Ray and Bama. I doubt he'd be a top priority if he wasn't a good fit for Bama's defense.
Do I think he would be good for bama? Yes. Do I think he could add weight and be good in their system as. DE? Yes. Do I think I know more about talent evaluation than Saban? Lol seriously? No. All of this is talking about how good RAY would be for BAMA.

I am talking about what is the BEST position for RAY.

It isn't like Saban is gonna tell him "well you would be a really good DE for us, but your best position would be 4-3 DE".

See the difference?

Reactions: 1 person
Do I think he would be good for bama? Yes. Do I think he could add weight and be good in their system as. DE? Yes. Do I think I know more about talent evaluation than Saban? Lol seriously? No. All of this is talking about how good RAY would be for BAMA.

I am talking about what is the BEST position for RAY.

It isn't like Saban is gonna tell him "well you would be a really good DE for us, but your best position would be 4-3 DE".

See the difference?
Sure, but as you've eluded, sometimes players project well in either scheme and/or more than one position, which can evolve based on development/S&C. For example, Jonathan Allen plays at different DL spots at Bama, DT & DE. Tim Williams plays as hybrid stand-up DE/LB and also with his hand in in the dirt.

Sure, but as you've eluded, sometimes players project well in either scheme and/or more than one position, which can evolve based on development/S&C. For example, Jonathan Allen plays at different DL spots at Bama, DT & DE. Tim Williams plays as hybrid stand-up DE/LB and also with his hand in in the dirt.
Who is the one who came in here with the sob story of how thin the bammers are at DE? Now you wanna bring up all these other positions he could develop into? How is the depth chart of those other positions? Can't have it both ways.

Merry Christmas.

Who is the one who came in here with the sob story of how thin the bammers are at DE? Now you wanna bring up all these other positions he could develop into? How is the depth chart of those other positions? Can't have it both ways.

Merry Christmas.
Haha. Merry Christmas to you too!

Btw, my youngest son coaches Ray at JCHS. We texted a bit this morning. Ray is VERY tight-lipped. Last text from my son:

"I have coached the kid for 4 years and he will only give me his top 3, which is Bama, Tenn, Fla."

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people

What he likely realizes is that his chances of winning a national title and getting to the NFL as an early round draft pick are infinitely better if he chooses Alabama. Sucks, but it's true. That's why 4 and 5 star players keep committing to Alabama with the understanding that early playing time in most cases isn't available and they're still willing to sit for 1-2 years before getting meaningful playing time.

Reactions: 2 people
What he likely realizes is that his chances of winning a national title and getting to the NFL as an early round draft pick are infinitely better if he chooses Alabama. Sucks, but it's true. That's why 4 and 5 star players keep committing to Alabama with the understanding that early playing time in most cases isn't available and they're still willing to sit for 1-2 years before getting meaningful playing time.

Maybe winning a national title but getting to the NFL as an early round draft pick are just as good if not better for Ray at TN. Saban has been at bama 10 yrs Butch at TN 4 yrs. Butch' first full recruiting class where he had a year to build & cultivate relationships landed Barnett who will be a first round pick in the draft.

GO VOLS!!!

Exactly right. Wait your turn, do what is asked of you, go early in the draft. Usually no early playing time but your JR year you start and show out and it's one and done.

Maybe winning a national title but getting to the NFL as an early round draft pick are just as good if not better for Ray at TN. Saban has been at bama 10 yrs Butch at TN 4 yrs. Butch' first full recruiting class where he had a year to build & cultivate relationships landed Barnett who will be a first round pick in the draft.

GO VOLS!!!

No, right now, it's much better at Bama. Look at all the projected first rounders they have this draft.

Pretty much

Btw, my youngest son coaches Ray at JCHS. We texted a bit this morning. Ray is VERY tight-lipped. Last text from my son:

"I have coached the kid for 4 years and he will only give me his top 3, which is Bama, Tenn, Fla."

Close2LaBryan

Ray could easily develop into a 1st round pick at UT too. Barnett was developed pretty nicely.

Reactions: 3 people

Is that in order?

Is that in order?

Via text, I asked my son if Ray is leaning toward Bama or has a favorite. That was my son's text reply. I didn't ask him if those are in order or anything else. No point in doing so. Because, even if they're in order, it doesn't tell us what distance there may be between them. And it could be fluid. Also, I didn't want to press, since Ray wants to keep his recruitment private.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back