'17 AL DE LaBryan Ray

Tidal, with all due respect, y'all get enough 5 stars. We need our share
With equal due respect...

No way! We've lost a fare share of battles with y'all lately on some blue chippers. Trey Smith most recently. It's our turn.

How about, y'all beat out Clemson and Georgia for some instead!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I just don't see how we take two more DL without letting another go. As it is, if we sign all the committed guys, we will have 19. Even if McDaniel is out, 18 is too many there. 20 is insane.

Actually, if we don't sign another DL we still will be at 23 total DL counting Walk-Ons. That is an insane number of DL. I'm counting the new commits for 2017 plus what we have coming back + the Preferred Walk-Ons. It's 23 total when you include Bembry playing LB. It's under 20 when you remove the Walk-Ons.

Don't you typically want to be the last visit? Especially so soon after his OV? Is he trying to get him to commit? I would think you move it after CBJ. Let his OV "high" get him through CBJ visit and then close the deal.

Austin Prices response to why would Saban move his visit up...

"Means Alabama is looking to get a better feel for what Ray is going to do. I'm told that he didn't commit this weekend (even privately) and that was a shock to Alabama. They are going to try and close this one out with a visit by Saban to school and in-home. If Tennessee survives that visit then they have a real shot going into Thursday's in-home with the Vols."

Reactions: 17 people
Austin Prices response to why would Saban move his visit up...

"Means Alabama is looking to get a better feel for what Ray is going to do. I'm told that he didn't commit this weekend (even privately) and that was a shock to Alabama. They are going to try and close this one out with a visit by Saban to school and in-home. If Tennessee survives that visit then they have a real shot going into Thursday's in-home with the Vols."

Well, guess we'll know if we have a shot tomorrow

Sounds like Saban is starting to get worried about this one.
Maybe so. Or it may just be a schedule change for other reasons. I saw today that Saban now has at least one other in-home visit scheduled for Wednesday.

I also know Bama has a pretty good shot on all of its top three DL targets, LaBryan Ray, Aubrey Solomon and Phidarian Mathis. I think that may be their order on Bama's board.

I know Saban has an in-home set with Solomon on Thursday. It may be that Bama only has room to take two of them and that Saban wants to give Ray the first opportunity to lock one of those spots down.

Bama might be able to take all three, but some industry analysts think it'll be two. Just sharing what I've read, but there's some speculation here too of course.

Last edited:
Maybe so. Or it may just be a schedule change for other reasons. I saw today that Saban now has at least one other in-home visit scheduled for Wednesday.

I also know Bama has a pretty good shot on all of its top three DL targets, LaBryan Ray, Aubrey Solomon and Phidarian Mathis. I think that may be their order on Bama's board.

I know Saban has an in-home set with Solomon on Thursday. It may be that Bama only has room to take two of them and that Saban wants to give Ray the first opportunity to lock one of those spots down.

Bama might be able to take all three, but some industry analysts think it'll be two. Just sharing what I've read, but there's some speculation here too of course.
If that's the case and Saban is giving him the first chance to lock it down, and Ray doesn't Commit, that's extremely good news for us.

If that's the case and Saban is giving him the first chance to lock it down, and Ray doesn't Commit, that's extremely good news for us.
I tend to agree, sort of. It's hard to tell sometimes what's really going on with some recruits.

For example, Price stated he had been told "inside info" about Ray and Bama, but we don't know who told him, or why, or if it's even true.

Some recruits become settled on where they want to go most of all, but still go through the entire process with several schools. There are also "silent commits" who still go through the process with other schools. Some kids flip, but keep it on the DL for a while.

Despite all of the reporting, it's hard to tell what's really going on with some recruits. Some hold their cards close to their vest. We may not even know what the most important criteria are for a recruit or his parents.

Lots of 2nd-hand and "backchannel" information, misinformation and speculation gets floated around in the recruiting info industry.

I see tweets and articles all the time that will take vague non-committal statements from recruits or "sources" and spin them all kinds of ways that appear to be aimed at creating hope, suspense, drama, etc. Often referred to as clickbait.

For example, there was a bunch of "manufactured" crap about long-time Bama commit Najee Harris potentially flipping to Michigan shortly before he was due to early enroll. A Michigan site reporter even tweeted that Najee was telling Michigan coaches he was still undecided, at the time Najee was actually boarding his flight to go enroll at Bama. Lol!

I used to follow recruiting year round. Now I don't pay too much attention to it until the last couple of months of the recruiting cycle.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
I think we often underestimate the number of recuits that DO NOT want to play for Nick Saban. The guy is a grade-A jerk. I get the "NFL" argument, but other coaches can get you to the NFL as well.

I wouldn't count Butch out on this one.

Bama isn't personal anymore recruiting kids. All I hear is "they don't treat you good down there". It's like well we are Bama either take the offer or keep it pushing.

Bama isn't personal anymore recruiting kids. All I hear is "they don't treat you good down there". It's like well we are Bama either take the offer or keep it pushing.

Buy in and become an NFL pick. It's a tough road but it's not for everyone either

I just don't see how we take two more DL without letting another go. As it is, if we sign all the committed guys, we will have 19. Even if McDaniel is out, 18 is too many there. 20 is insane.

I'm one to believe you recruit a complete team every year. You typically play 4 lineman on a typical play in our defense. So four lineman x four years means you need 16 on the roster. I think with the way things went last year, finishing the year struggling to field a team that had four healthy scholarship lineman, they are hedging their bets. I don't think they want to be caught in the same situation as last year.

Also, there may be some attrition. Tuttle's future is not certain. Who knows whether McDaniel makes it as you've mentioned. Alexis Johnson is still an uncertainty. Obviously the coaches are working with more information than we are.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
We should be encouraged if he doesn't go ahead and commit to them right after the visit. There's nothing from stopping him from making it public except for the indecision between the two schools. If we can make it until Butch's in home then we have a puncher's chance.

OCI self serving bump.

I'm one to believe you recruit a complete team every year.

So, you'd recruit 11 offensive players, 11 defensive players, a kicker, a punter, and a long snapper? :p:good!:

Just messing with ya. Overall, I agree with what you said. Just couldn't resist kidding about having 4 kickers, punters, and long snappers on the team.

So, you'd recruit 11 offensive players, 11 defensive players, a kicker, a punter, and a long snapper? :p:good!:

Just messing with ya. Overall, I agree with what you said. Just couldn't resist kidding about having 4 kickers, punters, and long snappers on the team.

I wasn't really talking about special teamers you Moran.:)

I'm one to believe you recruit a complete team every year. You typically play 5 lineman on a typical play in our defense. So four lineman x four years means you need 14 on the roster. I think with the way things went last year, finishing the year struggling to field a team that had four healthy scholarship lineman, they are hedging their bets. I don't think they want to be caught in the same situation as last year.

Also, there may be some attrition. Tuttle's future is not certain. Who knows whether McDaniel makes it as you've mentioned. Alexis Johnson is still an uncertainty. Obviously the coaches are working with more information than we are.

InVol, I'm no math guru, but that math makes no sense to me. We play 5 linemen on defense? 4 DL x 4 years = 14?

I'm genuinely confused.

Edit: not trying to call you out, just wondering if my coffee is decaf or something.

InVol, I'm no math guru, but that math makes no sense to me. We play 5 linemen on defense? 4 DL x 4 years = 14?

I'm genuinely confused.

Edit: not trying to call you out, just wondering if my coffee is decaf or something.

InVol be like:

Maths is hard.
math-is-hard-2-o.gif

:)

Reactions: 5 people
I don't know who you're hearing that from, but if you think about it some more it shouldn't seem very believable.

How appealing do you think an uncaring, impersonal environment and recruiting approach would be to recruits and their parents?

I can assure you that you've been misinformed, but you don't have to take my word for it:

Four-star DB recaps Alabama official visit

Last edited:

VN Store

Back