'17 AL DE LaBryan Ray

Lol... all good! Glad I don't need to find an antidote for the tranquilizer in my coffee.

8555006c9de328561543cd0a617173cd.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
I still have to think Bama is a heavy favorite for this kid. I mean when was the last time we pulled a player out of that state that Bama really prioritized? Probably before the Saban era. Aaron Sears maybe?

I will say this though. IF I were a highly rated recruit from Alabama, and IF Saban were making me a big priority, BUT I didn't want to go there, I would probably play the situation exactly the way Ray has played it.

I do not think Tuttle plays at all next year. Hopefully he makes it back in 2018.

I think he needs to. I was in the camp saying he needed to last year. He would have ended up playing anyways I guess with all the attrition, but he needs time to heal.

I don't know who you're hearing that from, but if you think about it some more it shouldn't seem very believable.

How appealing do you think an uncaring, impersonal environment and recruiting approach would be to recruits and their parents?

I can assure you that you've been misinformed, but you don't have to take my word for it:

Four-star DB recaps Alabama official visit

Oh, I'm sure they're treated like royalty on their visits. It's what happens after they enroll. Alabama is a mini NFL franchise and everything is second to football. It's ran like a business and if you're not contributing to the team you are processed out. I can see where Alabama is not for everyone.

I do not think Tuttle plays at all next year. Hopefully he makes it back in 2018.

Hubbs has said he is already off crutches and was moving well at the Music City Bowl. I think the severity of Tuttle's injury has been overblown. From all accounts, he should be ready by the fall.

Reactions: 7 people
I tend to agree, sort of. It's hard to tell sometimes what's really going on with some recruits.

For example, Price stated he had been told "inside info" about Ray and Bama, but we don't know who told him, or why, or if it's even true.

Some recruits become settled on where they want to go most of all, but still go through the entire process with several schools. There are also "silent commits" who still go through the process with other schools. Some kids flip, but keep it on the DL for a while.

Despite all of the reporting, it's hard to tell what's really going on with some recruits. Some hold their cards close to their vest. We may not even know what the most important criteria are for a recruit or his parents.

Lots of 2nd-hand and "backchannel" information, misinformation and speculation gets floated around in the recruiting info industry.

I see tweets and articles all the time that will take vague non-committal statements from recruits or "sources" and spin them all kinds of ways that appears to be aimed at creating hope, suspense, drama, etc. Often referred to as clickbait.

For example, there was a bunch of "manufactured" crap about long-time Bama commit Najee Harris potentially flipping to Michigan shortly he was due to early enroll. A Michigan site reporter was even blasting tweets that Najee was telling Michigan coaches he was still undecided, at the time Najee was actually boarding his flight to go enroll at Bama. Lol!

I used to follow recruiting year round. Now I don't pay too much attention to it until the last couple of months of the recruiting cycle.

Sounds like you want to create your own reality here. To suggest Price or any of the other recruiting guys out there don't have valid sources tells me that you haven't been following recruiting very long. Granted they aren't always right due to it being impossible to read the mind of a teenager. But more times than not they are pretty spot on.

Reactions: 2 people
I don't know who you're hearing that from, but if you think about it some more it shouldn't seem very believable.

How appealing do you think an uncaring, impersonal environment and recruiting approach would be to recruits and their parents?

I can assure you that you've been misinformed, but you don't have to take my word for it:

Four-star DB recaps Alabama official visit

He lives in the area and trains high school kids getting ready for D1 football. So I guess hearing it straight from the kid's mouth or the parents isn't believable?

I'm one to believe you recruit a complete team every year. You typically play 4 lineman on a typical play in our defense. So four lineman x four years means you need 16 on the roster. I think with the way things went last year, finishing the year struggling to field a team that had four healthy scholarship lineman, they are hedging their bets. I don't think they want to be caught in the same situation as last year.

Also, there may be some attrition. Tuttle's future is not certain. Who knows whether McDaniel makes it as you've mentioned. Alexis Johnson is still an uncertainty. Obviously the coaches are working with more information than we are.

Very true that the coaches know more about who will be available this year. My ideal roster is probably something like this:

QB - 5
RB - 5
TE - 5
WR - 10
OL - 15
DL - 15
LB - 11
DB - 16
ST - 3

So, to me, you recruit to keep this balance. Some years, you'll be heavier in certain areas, but 20+ seems excessive in any area. No way we would pass on Ray (obviously), so I'm just curious if we would ask someone else to walk at this point. That's all.

Hubbs has said he is already off crutches and was moving well at the Music City Bowl. I think the severity of Tuttle's injury has been overblown. From all accounts, he should be ready by the fall.

Not from all accounts. Other reports suggest otherwise.

Sounds like you want to create your own reality here. To suggest Price or any of the other recruiting guys out there don't have valid sources tells me that you haven't been following recruiting very long. Granted they aren't always right due to it being impossible to read the mind of a teenager. But more times than not they are pretty spot on.
Not trying to do that at all.

I've followed recruiting for a decade. I was even involved in some of the back channel information sharing years ago as a moderator on a major recruiting site for several years. I understand how recruiting information is gathered and reported.

He still has a lot of rehab ahead of him, since it was a "dual injury", which means bone and ligament damage.

There was no bone damage. It was just his MCL and PCL. Generally about 4 months recovery time. Again the 'worse than the injury before' was overblown by Dr. Jimmy Hyams and people such as Bruin run with it and create their own story line.

I still have to think Bama is a heavy favorite for this kid. I mean when was the last time we pulled a player out of that state that Bama really prioritized? Probably before the Saban era. Aaron Sears maybe?

I will say this though. IF I were a highly rated recruit from Alabama, and IF Saban were making me a big priority, BUT I didn't want to go there, I would probably play the situation exactly the way Ray has played it.

I respect your BVS. But your reasoning is illogical. You don't think we get him because of circumstances that are not directly relevant to this exact situation. Who cares when the last time we did it was? If I flip a quarter and it lands on heads 7 times in a row does that affect the next time I flip it? Every recruit is his own unique situation. So many variables.

Reactions: 3 people
Please cite these other reports you are speaking of.

Of all those that cover the Vols I trust Danny Parker on injuries. He broke the JRM story even said the day surgery was happening. Jones got pissed about it and said he was wrong but it wasn't until after the surguery that it was confirmed he was spot on even down to the day. He doesn't have the same volume of info but when he reports something it's accurate. He said Tuttle wouldn't be ready for the start of the year and might not play at all next season.

JimmyH didn't report it until after Parker did.

Of all those that cover the Vols I trust Danny Parker on injuries. He broke the JRM story even said the day surgery was happening. Jones got pissed about it and said he was wrong but it wasn't until after the surguery that it was confirmed he was spot on even down to the day. He doesn't have the same volume of info but when he reports something it's accurate. He said Tuttle wouldn't be ready for the start of the year and might not play at all next season.

JimmyH didn't report it until after Parker did.

So, one report and not multiple reports which you stated in your previous post. And I trust Hubbs who saw him walking with his own two eyes and the report on VQ that specified is was an MCL and PCL tear with no bone damage. He will miss spring ball and should be back by fall camp.

Reactions: 4 people
Bama doesn't put any higher a % of player in the NFL based on ranking expectation out of HS.

The only team with more is LSU. You may hate Alabama but if choose to go there and stick it out you're going to win a National Title and go to the NFL.

The biggest worry is if he's going to be the same player after 2 significant leg injuries

So, one report and not multiple reports which you stated in your previous post. And I trust Hubbs who saw him walking with his own two eyes and the report on VQ that specified is was an MCL and PCL tear with no bone damage. He will miss spring ball and should be back by fall camp.

Lol. The exact post you quoted had two reports in it. You have a real issue with comprehension.

VN Store

Back