'17 AL DE LaBryan Ray

It's rumored McElwain called him into his office, and pulled out a deck of Old Maid cards. Ray confusedly had to play cards for 45 minutes, as McElwain just kept staring and smiling anytime eye contact was made

Afterwards, McElwain makes his best recruiting pitch... "Labyrinth, when your a gator.... Gosh! We can play Old Maid all the time!"

TIFWIW

Then he stomped his foot/hoof three times and ate some sugar cubes and an apple before trotting off down the hall.

Ray was like:

what_the_hell_parks_rec.gif

Reactions: 8 people
Would be the most Butch Jones thing ever to close with Ray and make this recruiting class ultra-enigmatic. I can just see the arguments now.

"This class has more than 20 3 stars! It's subpar!"

"Yeah but two top 15 recruits and 4 top 100 ones. We beat out Bama for two kids at the top of their board, one from Alabama. AND we held off a push from FSU for Gray"

"Well...um...we've got a lot of borderline guys and Tee Higgins is at Clemson!"

"Dude. Trey. Smith....Labryan. Ray...Ty. Chandler...Maleik. Gray. 'Nuff said."

Wash, rinse, repeat until spring ball starts. Then fire back up until around mid June when we're all dying for reports of newcomers at summer workouts. Bring it back sporadically whenever we land an early commit (highly or lowly rated).

Even if we land Ray, this class still isn't what I expected it to be, and that has nothing to do with Hunter Johnson. Losing Higgins sucks, but when you think about Clemson's overall success and success with WRs, it's hard to blame him. Even with dropping those two, I still expected us to go out and recruit extremely well even with missing the SECCG by a pretty small margin.

Getting Ray would absolutely squash any doubts about CBJ's, and some on his staff, ability to recruit. It would also be a huge pick-up considering the make-up of the class. I don't think it will get us above the #15 spot when the rankings are done post-NSD, but it could be a much needed "cherry on top."

Also, you made some very good points. Like I said above, I don't think this class is a "difference maker," but I also don't think it is on a Dooley level or anywhere near as bad as some make it out to be.

Reactions: 5 people
2 of the last 4 recruiting classes at Clemson weren't considered great. 2 of them were outside the top 10 and more around 15. I think we finish around 11-12th, if we get Ray this class will be a very good class IMHO and will have met several needs. Many in this class just need a red-shirt year and many of them will be good ball players. No it isn't the most star studded class but I think a few years down the road people will be saying that this class turned out to be a very good class. GBO!!!!!

Reactions: 2 people
2 of the last 4 recruiting classes at Clemson weren't considered great. 2 of them were outside the top 10 and more around 15. I think we finish around 11-12th, if we get Ray this class will be a very good class IMHO and will have met several needs. Many in this class just need a red-shirt year and many of them will be good ball players. No it isn't the most star studded class but I think a few years down the road people will be saying that this class turned out to be a very good class. GBO!!!!!
Clemson doesn't have the pressure of playing in the SEC. They had a couple of close encounters with disaster that would have derailed their season. Think UT 98. They developed a championship team. Sometimes you make your breaks, other times you're lucky. Sometimes both.

Reactions: 1 person
Player development is as key as recruiting. Getting 5* high school guys that don't reach their full potential (some don't cause they just aren't that good) can be just as bad to a program as poor recruiting.

Tennessee getting their S&C program straightened out is a big step in that direction. The debacle last year (changing S&C coaches, etc) was CBJ biggest mistake. JMO

Reactions: 6 people
Clemson doesn't have the pressure of playing in the SEC. They had a couple of close encounters with disaster that would have derailed their season. Think UT 98. They developed a championship team. Sometimes you make your breaks, other times you're lucky. Sometimes both.

This is a good point. Playing weaker competition allows you to still win while resting your headline players. That's part of the reason Clemson played some games closer against weaker teams than they might have. They're better able to keep their best players healthy because their depth doesn't have to be as talented.

Reactions: 2 people
Player development is as key as recruiting. Getting 5* high school guys that don't reach their full potential (some don't cause they just aren't that good) can be just as bad to a program as poor recruiting.

Tennessee getting their S&C program straightened out is a big step in that direction. The debacle last year (changing S&C coaches, etc) was CBJ biggest mistake. JMO

Get your facts...err... I mean excuses out of here! Pssshh, S&C, injuries, etc. We should have been national champs! Because we weren't, every coach at Tennessee is hot garbage.

See how ridiculous that sounds NegaVols? Now get back to the FF!

Reactions: 8 people

I've heard this and said it myself. It is true to a degree... but only to a degree. You can fill in spaces with "system" players who aren't ranked as high. The OL seems to be the position that the recruiting sites miss the most so you can afford to have lower rated players there if you develop well (which Jones' staff to date has not done).

BUT... some positions are much more a function of things that can be measured. If you don't have guys with raw, measurable talent at the skill positions, QB, and on D... you will seldom beat the teams that do.

There are a lot of guys who are either overlooked or else develop physically after getting to college. I have yet to see a coach who could successfully and consistently find so many of those underrated players that they won Power 5 championships with them. Oregon probably comes the closest. By and large, if you don't have an accumulation of highly rated players... you don't win at a high level.

Get your facts...err... I mean excuses out of here! Pssshh, S&C, injuries, etc. We should have been national champs! Because we weren't, every coach at Tennessee is hot garbage.

See how ridiculous that sounds NegaVols? Now get back to the FF!

So are you saying the S&C issues were NOT the fault of the HC, considering how it played out?

Just curious.

Bottom line is this class isn't as weak as being portrayed IMHO. Several of these 3 star guys can flat out play and are close to being 4 star players, and many of them just need a year in the weight room. This is a underated class IMHO and I am not changing my view until it proves otherwise. We have also gotten a few real gems in this class and if we add Ray this class will go good with what we have already. We finally have a big senior class something we haven't had in a while which will let us red-shirt a great deal of this class. There are also a few in this class that will make a early impact as well. JMHO! GBO!!!!!!

Bottom line is this class isn't as weak as being portrayed IMHO. Several of these 3 star guys can flat out play and are close to being 4 star players, and many of them just need a year in the weight room. This is a underated class IMHO and I am not changing my view until it proves otherwise. We have also gotten a few real gems in this class and if we add Ray this class will go good with what we have already. We finally have a big senior class something we haven't had in a while which will let us red-shirt a great deal of this class. There are also a few in this class that will make a early impact as well. JMHO! GBO!!!!!!

No one can convince me that Butler, Labruzza, Page or Bailey are three stars.

Reactions: 3 people
When should we really start to receive Intel on where LaBryan is going ?

tomorrow all sorts of crap will be out there. We received his commitment and then Saban licked a popsicle for his mom and now he's Bama

and then Florida came in and offered a lifetime supply of jorts and anal beads but his mimaw isn't on board with that.

Then Clemson comes in and offers the captaincy of the four finger twiddleydoo club

but Tennessee made mimaw a peanut butter pie and daggumit she's loves Butchs peanut butter pie.

Reactions: 9 people
tomorrow all sorts of crap will be out there. We received his commitment and then Saban licked a popsicle for his mom and now he's Bama

and then Florida came in and offered a lifetime supply of jorts and anal beads but his mimaw isn't on board with that.

Then Clemson comes in and offers the captaincy of the four finger twiddleydoo club

but Tennessee made mimaw a peanut butter pie and daggumit she's loves Butchs peanut butter pie.

Four finger? At first I'm like....:dunno: ...but then I thought about it...and ...I'm....:yahoo:

VN Store

Back