'17 AL DE LaBryan Ray

Does anyone know what our back up plan is if Ray ends up at Bama and for conversation we lose Murphy and/or someone else?

Are Sterling and Conliffe completely out of the equation? Would try to fill the spots or leave them available for next year?

I'm not knowledgeable enough to opine on any of the remaining non-Ray options, but there's no reason to settle on somebody just for the sake of using up every available scholarship. Why not give the scholarship to a walk-on senior so we have it next year, when we'll hopefully have more momentum on the recruiting trail thanks to a better W-L record and more opportunities for immediate playing time in 2018?

Here are all the guys we may need to replace in 2018:

*QB: One of our backup QBs may transfer
*RB: John Kelly (JR) may declare early for the NFL
*WR: Smith, George, and possibly Jennings (JR)
*TE: Wolf, Johnson
*OL: Kendrick, Thomas, Sanders, Robertson
*DL: Vickers, Mixon, Johnson, and possibly McKenzie, Kongbo and Tuttle
*LB: McDowell, Jumper, El. Berry
*CB: Martin, Moseley, Henderson,
*S: Kelly, Ev. Berry
*K: Medley
*P: Daniel

That's at least 21 scholarship seniors and maybe 1-6 other underclassmen we might be losing. Butch could use that opportunity to find a higher-quality guy next year.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to opine on any of the remaining non-Ray options, but there's no reason to settle on somebody just for the sake of using up every available scholarship. Why not give the scholarship to a walk-on senior so we have it next year, when we'll hopefully have more momentum on the recruiting trail thanks to a better W-L record and more opportunities for immediate playing time in 2018?

That's at least 21 scholarship seniors and maybe 1-6 other underclassmen we might be losing. Butch could use that opportunity to find a higher-quality guy next year.

You do not pass on recruits like Ray or Conliffe. They don't come around all the time.

When Ray started in HS, he went to James Clemens instead of Bob Jones due to the rezoning in Madison. When he got there, it was a new program and they took a beating. He has been a huge part of them going from that to being in the 7A playoffs yearly now. Just hope that he carries some of that and decides to go to a building program instead of a program that is like bama.

Reactions: 4 people
Yep. My son coaches DL at JCHS. LaBryan isn't tipping his hand.

I figured I'd get a true inside scoop for once...But NO!!! Instead, LaBryan is the most secretive recruit of all time. :banghead2:

I saw somewhere that he's gonna let coaches know the night before he announces. I think when he does that he'll also ask them not to leak it. So, this may be one where no word gets out before he announces.

Or...you could just be here stringing us along saying you have no idea, when in reality you've known all along...:)

The DT position will be a critical need in 2018 and next year's 3 top targets are in-state (Litaker, Emerson, & Lawless) and they can be offered a favorable depth chart at their position.

Thought Austin Sanders graduated and isn't expected back?

VN Store

Back