'17 AL DE LaBryan Ray

You can choose to believe that Butch Jones lost out on a single recruit

OR

You can choose to believe that Butch Jones told a blue chip DL that UT had no more room for him and to kick rocks.

2nd option is far worse.

Ray is a blue chip, Conliffe is a red chip.

giphy.gif

Nuggets for optimism
1 - Same state and friend of Ignont who has been hinting at a big splash commit for a while
2 - Close to Trey MFing Smith
3- Brother played at WKU under Walt Wells and was recruited by him
4- Vols can actually sell an NFL player at UT under this staff at his position (Barnett)
5 - He lives in NE Bama which is best place geographically to be in the state for the VOLS

Reasons for pessimism
1 - Nick Saban
2 - In State recruit
3 - Alabama

Reactions: 5 people
Why would Gray and Smith talk about Ray being a Vol all over Twitter? Apparently the coaching staff and players think he'll choose the good guys.

Last edited:
im betting that callahan is waiting until tonight or tomorrow to make his pick, because he is waiting until after Ray calls the coaches and informs them tonight

I wish I could post here that I feel like he is all Vol but I unfortunately do not feel this way. I will go into it thinking he is all bad guys and if we pull this out I will be overwhelmed. Might even shat myself! :)

Reactions: 1 person
Just ready to know. If we don't get this guy we could be ranked in the 20's according to Callahan. Not good for perception, though I would argue with anyone that there are a number of players who are vastly underrated in this class. Hence why Rivals has us with 9 or 10 4 stars

I'm not knowledgeable enough to opine on any of the remaining non-Ray options, but there's no reason to settle on somebody just for the sake of using up every available scholarship. Why not give the scholarship to a walk-on senior so we have it next year, when we'll hopefully have more momentum on the recruiting trail thanks to a better W-L record and more opportunities for immediate playing time in 2018?

Here are all the guys we may need to replace in 2018:

*QB: One of our backup QBs may transfer
*RB: John Kelly (JR) may declare early for the NFL
*WR: Smith, George, and possibly Jennings (JR)
*TE: Wolf, Johnson
*OL: Kendrick, Thomas, Sanders, Robertson
*DL: Vickers, Mixon, Johnson, and possibly McKenzie, Kongbo and Tuttle
*LB: McDowell, Jumper, El. Berry
*CB: Martin, Moseley, Henderson,
*S: Kelly, Ev. Berry
*K: Medley
*P: Daniel

That's at least 21 scholarship seniors and maybe 1-6 other underclassmen we might be losing. Butch could use that opportunity to find a higher-quality guy next year.

I just counted 22 graduating next year. That's a lot when you consider we're going to have attrition

Can't remember the last time we had that many seniors

I just counted 22 graduating next year. That's a lot when you consider we're going to have attrition

Can't remember the last time we had that many seniors

This.
I can't remember a class where we signed 32 players.
Will be replacing a bunch of kids this next cycle.

VN Store

Back