'17 TN ATH Jacoby Stevens (LSU commit)

Actually there is alot more interested in Tennessee than they have been in awhile. Talking to people it seems that if CBJ takes another step forward this year than we could really take a step forward with the kids in state. Top flight kids want to see WINS. If CBJ can produce that then the recruitment process will start to take care of itself.

Yeah. Totally agree about winning. It makes this year even more important

Last edited:
We get Higgins, Chandler, Fant and Smith I consider it a victory. Even 3 out of 4. 2 out of 4 with a great out of state haul.

Which of the top kids? Sure a lot of marginal Tennessee boys are "really" interested, guys down the list. That would probably be the best offer they get. It seems like all the cream wants to go anywhere but UT. And I don't care what you guys say, that is not good. If all we end up with is Higgins and Smith, and worst case not even them...then that is bad. If recruiting was going great guns everywhere but Tennessee that would be one thing, but it's not.

You have seriously started taking this recruiting stuff way too seriously. Especially for this time of year. You used to be a much more enjoyable read....now it's like reading Catbone part 2.

Reactions: 5 people
Which of the top kids? Sure a lot of marginal Tennessee boys are "really" interested, guys down the list. That would probably be the best offer they get. It seems like all the cream wants to go anywhere but UT. And I don't care what you guys say, that is not good. If all we end up with is Higgins and Smith, and worst case not even them...then that is bad. If recruiting was going great guns everywhere but Tennessee that would be one thing, but it's not.

Do you understand that recruiting is directly tied to on field results for Tennessee this year?

The program is at a turning point. Butch Jones right now has the talent to win a championship. He can't sell players on turning around a program. He can't sell players on early playing time. Basically he can't sell them on hope anymore. All he's left with now is selling them on results. And players are waiting to see if he can deliver.

As a fan you should be more concerned with what happens this fall on the football field than worrying about which in state kids are flirting with other teams in May.

Butch needs to prove he can win with talent. If he can't win big this year, then no matter how many in state studs we sign, we ain't never winning with him at the helm.

If he wins big this year then recruiting will fall in place.

2014 and 2015 were about recruiting hype. 2016 is about on field results. Worry about that rather than why your favorite recruit hasn't committed yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Do you understand that recruiting is directly tied to on field results for Tennessee this year?

The program is at a turning point. Butch Jones right now has the talent to win a championship. He can't sell players on turning around a program. He can't sell players on early playing time. Basically he can't sell them on hope anymore. All he's left with now is selling them on results. And players are waiting to see if he can deliver.

As a fan you too should be concerned with what happens this fall on the football field than worrying about which in state kids are flirting with other teams in May.

Butch needs to prove he can win with talent. If he can't win big this year, then no matter how many in state studs we sign, we ain't never winning with him at the helm.

If he wins big this year then recruiting will fall in place.

2014 and 2015 were about recruiting hype. 2016 is about on field results. Worry about that rather than why your favorite recruit hasn't committed yet.

This is an excellent post and entirely accurate whether people want to believe it or not

2016 is about on field results. Worry about that rather than why your favorite recruit hasn't committed yet.

Even better, stop worrying. This is insane. Do you guys really think that worrying about the season and fretting about what might happen is really helping anything? Y'all ain't that important to the program. We will win or lose, recruit or not, regardless of how much fans worry. We've managed to turn this forum into a contest to see who is the most concerned. I bet the guy with the $3M salary has a plan to keep his job. He has done well three years in a row. I think he will do fine this year, too.

Reactions: 2 people
This is an excellent post and entirely accurate whether people want to believe it or not

So you support D4H's position that if CBJ doesn't win it all this year then he will never be able to have a championship program? Only 1 team can win the SEC and natty each year. Does that mean everybody else is a failure? Sort of an extreme position don't you think?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4usE2RePqo[/youtube]

So you support D4H's position that if CBJ doesn't win it all this year then he will never be able to have a championship program? Only 1 team can win the SEC and natty each year. Does that mean everybody else is a failure? Sort of an extreme position don't you think?

No

Winning on the field is now the sales pitch

Reactions: 1 person

Maybe not win it all.. At the very least he needs to win the East, IMO..

I think CBJ knows this as well. His language this year has changed. He's not talking about being young anymore. He's talking about winning. He's talking about what needs to be done to overcome the obstacles that caused the losses last year and, from what I've seen, he's showing it in practice and the way they approach things too.

With the return of the 3 NFL'ers he knows the expectations are high and he knows he has to accomplish more this year.

SEC East is the bar. We know it. The team knows it. Butch Jones and Staff know it.

Obligatory JMO

I recall when they said "Tennessee will never beat Bear again".......

Definitely gotta beat Fla and GA cause they probably will run the table on everyone else in the East just as Tennessee should.

Last edited:
Maybe not win it all.. At the very least he needs to win the East, IMO..

I really, really hope he can win the East and beyond, but so many things have to line up for a championship run. Our '98 run we caught the magic a couple of times along the way. I hate to throw a coach under the bus if he has the team prepared for success and a couple of injuries and bad bounces go against us. The competition is too good to assume anything IMO.

Reactions: 2 people
No

Winning on the field is now the sales pitch

Winning on the field is not interpreted as winning a Natty.

I think getting to Atlanta would show the progress of this team. Winning the SEC plus whatever would obviously make it even better. But, D4H has a good post above but previously has said anything short of a NC means Butch is a failure. So very point blank...........do you agree he and this team is a failure if they do not win the NC?

I think getting to Atlanta would show the progress of this team. Winning the SEC plus whatever would obviously make it even better. But, D4H has a good post above but previously has said anything short of a NC means Butch is a failure. So very point blank...........do you agree he and this team is a failure if they do not win the NC?
Yes, and we need to do it with instate kids.

No. But we must win east and beat UF and honestly IMO this is our best shot at beating Bama. Need to capitalize

No. But we must win east and beat UF and honestly IMO this is our best shot at beating Bama. Need to capitalize

I tend to agree with this. Winning the East is a must to sustain what Butch has been doing. He doesn't get the "benefit of a doubt" because it's not like he can point backwards to past success. This is his first big-time gig, and the scuttlebutt on him in the national media at the moment is that he chokes in big games (in addition to fostering a rape culture). Much as I think he's capable of getting us where we want to go, he really has to prove it on the field this fall.

He knows it though. That's why he's kicked two long-standing members of his staff to the curb this offseason. He truly is doing whatever it takes to win.

VN Store

Back