'17 TN ATH Jacoby Stevens (LSU commit)

So when Williams does it at Auburn or Boulware does it while Richt is recruiting him it's funny but when somebody does it to us he should be banned from the campus? We still want Rodgers and we're still recruiting him

Reactions: 7 people
So when Williams does it at Auburn or Boulware does it while Richt is recruiting him it's funny but when somebody does it to us he should be banned from the campus? We still want Rodgers and we're still recruiting him

Yep. Recruit him harder I say.

Reactions: 1 person
FTR, do we actually have a reliable source for Rodgers "negative recruiting?" And what kind of negative recruiting are we talking here? Was it along the lines of "come play at Clemson with me, Tennessee doesn't throw the ball like Clemson does" or was it more like "Tennessee and their coaches are garbage and they're getting the death penalty" ?

Both of those are negative recruiting. One is relatively harmless and I don't see a reason to be upset about it. Drew Richmond was, at one time, engaged in that type of negative recruiting against UT. Keeping the doors open for him and letting him get a better feel of the atmosphere and culture of the team was the right move there. I suspect it's the right move generally speaking.

FTR, do we actually have a reliable source for Rodgers "negative recruiting?" And what kind of negative recruiting are we talking here? Was it along the lines of "come play at Clemson with me, Tennessee doesn't throw the ball like Clemson does" or was it more like "Tennessee and their coaches are garbage and they're getting the death penalty" ?

Both of those are negative recruiting. One is relatively harmless and I don't see a reason to be upset about it. Drew Richmond was, at one time, engaged in that type of negative recruiting against UT. Keeping the doors open for him and letting him get a better feel of the atmosphere and culture of the team was the right move there. I suspect it's the right move generally speaking.

Fort reported it.

Fort reported it.

Yeah but what kind of negative recruiting did he say? Not all negative recruiting is the same. Pointing out that one school is weaker than another in some area is negative recruiting, but I'd hardly call it malicious or ban a kid from campus for it.

Girls, girls...you're both pretty!!

Seriously, you're both good posters. Let's move on.

Now...hopefully that Stevens kid warms up to Shoop and UT more after he sees a top 5 D this year

Did Boulware go to Georgia and negative recruit? Or did he just wear a Tennessee shirt when Richt was visiting his HS? Because there is a difference there as well.

I agree with Darth though. A kid should be high on the school he's committed to. As long as he isn't putting our school/coaches down in any way, then continue to recruit him. Not a big deal. Surely our entire coaching staff wouldn't get out-recruited on our own campus by one HS kid.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
You missed the point. Tennessee fans still thought it was funny, made comments like "true VFL, I love it" "already my favorite recruit of this class"

I was under the impression Williams didn't want to go to Auburn. They begged him to go. He went. But he showed them he wasn't going to be swayed. Was he there to recruit other guys, or just to show he wasn't interested?

Again, when PWill was taking other visits, wearing UT gear to other schools, and negatively recruiting other school and saying he was going on visits to steal recruits y'all were sending him all the love he could handle... But that's none of my business...

I'd smile and let Amari do whatever he's gonna do and show kids I'm not afraid of anyone, he doesn't have more power over these kids than Butch Stones, what are y'all afraid of? Really? There's no standard being set by not allowing him on campus other than "we're afraid he has more recruiting power than we do" and CBJ ain't about that life son. Just saying.

Reactions: 2 people

It's good to know you have Coach Jones ear and dictate who we recruit.

Again, when PWill was taking other visits, wearing UT gear to other schools, and negatively recruiting other school and saying he was going on visits to steal recruits y'all were sending him all the love he could handle... But that's none of my business...

I'd smile and let Amari do whatever he's gonna do and show kids I'm not afraid of anyone, he doesn't have more power over these kids than Butch Stones, what are y'all afraid of? Really? There's no standard being set by not allowing him on campus other than "we're afraid he has more recruiting power than we do" and CBJ ain't about that life son. Just saying.

One has nothing to do with the other. It's up to those individual schools to determine if it will help or hurt bringing a kid with no desire to go there on campus. And I don't focus on those schools because I don't really care about their success or failure. Its called being a fan. No reason to act all noble with some pointless 'gotcha' moment when everyone knows double standards are part of sports. Just how it is.

And besides, we are in on bigger and better WRs than Amari. If he's going to continue to be disruptive and negatively affect recruiting, his trips to campus and access to the program should be shut down.

VN Store

Back