2024 Transfer Portal Thread

Assuming we're done with the portal, do we know what international players, or possibly uncommitted high school kids, we might be looking at? I know we have 2 spots open. I could see leaving one open, not sure CRB would leave both open. Just wondering if we know who else the staff might be looking at.

Assuming we're done with the portal, do we know what international players, or possibly uncommitted high school kids, we might be looking at? I know we have 2 spots open. I could see leaving one open, not sure CRB would leave both open. Just wondering if we know who else the staff might be looking at.
Coach has often picked up guys late with varying degrees of success. Probably had more on the down low radar when the risk/reward analysis did not trigger a take. He is not prone to make his war room wall public. Not a clue what his desires are for last spots. Guessing the wall stays more active in todays new world in case of need to cover a late surprise defection.

UK fans: Robinson is my most wanted portal guy

*No news*

UK fans: Wooga was always my number 1 want
Fans is one thing, but their mods are embarrassing, especially in comparison to guys like Hubbs/Ramey/Price.

They’ve gone from…
-Robinson is priority 1, Lanier & Poplar afterthoughts.
-Lanier is now priority, taking him from Tennessee would make a statement
-Tennessee bad mouthing Lanier in attempt to drive down price
-Tennessee dropped a bag for Lanier and UK prefers Robinson who they’ve had good dialogue with
-Robinson gonna withdraw, been in contact with Pope, NIL deal lined uo
-BYU might drop huge bag for Robinson, UK staff prefers Poplar as they have all along
-Staff now thinking spend have on a 2025 guy to reclass in instead of Poplar or Robinson, they like their roster as is

It’s been pathetic and embarrassing, some of their fans have called them on it but most buy in. They refuse to say Pope has missed on anyone and that this has been their plan, even though it’s changed 100x, all along.

He’s been mentioned, but Aleksandar Gavalyugov is a guy they’re evaluating.

Projection time

ZZ
Lanier
Mashack
Dubar OR Igor
Felix

Gainey = 6th man role I think he got real comfortable doing this last season and believe he more than anyone else understands minutes > starts
JP = will probably see a good bit of minutes and I still think he's athletic enough they play him at the 4 and 5
Carr = excited to see his growth can probably play the 4 even with his wingspan in small ball lineups
Phillips = odd man out a bit, should see more minutes but I'd be surprised if he's getting 10 mpg
Bishop = with the addition of Lanier I think they may look to RS him, but never know if he's good enough he'll play

Projection time

ZZ
Lanier
Mashack
Dubar OR Igor
Felix

Gainey = 6th man role I think he got real comfortable doing this last season and believe he more than anyone else understands minutes > starts
JP = will probably see a good bit of minutes and I still think he's athletic enough they play him at the 4 and 5
Carr = excited to see his growth can probably play the 4 even with his wingspan in small ball lineups
Phillips = odd man out a bit, should see more minutes but I'd be surprised if he's getting 10 mpg
Bishop = with the addition of Lanier I think they may look to RS him, but never know if he's good enough he'll play
I think Dubar or Igor is more likely your 6th man in terms of MPG than Gainey

Zeigler
Lanier/Gainey
Mashack/Carr
Igor/Dubar
Okpara/Estrella

I think that’s your pretty clear cut 9 man rotation with Phillips getting some run when there’s foul trouble, blow outs, change of pace energy big. Boswell likely either redshirting or seeing very minimal PT like a Carr or Phillips last year.

I think Dubar or Igor is more likely your 6th man in terms of MPG than Gainey

Zeigler
Lanier/Gainey
Mashack/Carr
Igor/Dubar
Okpara/Estrella

I think that’s your pretty clear cut 9 man rotation with Phillips getting some run when there’s foul trouble, blow outs, change of pace energy big. Boswell likely either redshirting or seeing very minimal PT like a Carr or Phillips last year.

Yeah with Dubar, Igor, JP, and Felix all on roster I could see Gainey ending the season with more mpg than Dubar and/or Igor

I know it wouldn’t really make sense with where our roster is at the moment, but how awesome would it be to add Coleman Hawkins?? That dude is the definition of a stretch 5. He’s what I hope Igor can turn into this year.

Yeah with Dubar, Igor, JP, and Felix all on roster I could see Gainey ending the season with more mpg than Dubar and/or Igor I hope Carr gets most SG/SC bench minutes over Gainey. I love his upside and he's going to be future of the team in 2 years.
I hope Carr earns majority of bench SG minutes over Gainey. He'll be huge for future in 2025 and want him to keep developing.

Tons of flexibility 2-5 with a lot of guys so going to be a lot of tinkering early in the year.

Reactions: sami
I think Igor and Dubar both play more, and I think there’s a solid chance Carr does as well, and potentially even the backup 5 (Estrella imo). I think Gainey is likely 8-9 in MPG
I just think Carr needs all his minutes. Get him ready to start the following season or else you’ll just recruit a transfer over him, imo

I don’t think production wise you would be losing anything

Guessing top 3 minutes per game guys are ZZ, Lanier, and Mashack. Felix and Estrella probably close to even split with some changes based on who's playing better.

The Igor and Dubar minutes are going to be interesting to see how they are dished out and if they can play together. Should be enough for the 2 of them especially if Igor can play 5 in a pinch and Dubar plays some time at the 3.

I just think Carr needs all his minutes. Get him ready to start the following season or else you’ll just recruit a transfer over him, imo

I don’t think production wise you would be losing anything
I’m not just handing him minutes, if he’s outplaying him ok, but to this point Carr hasn’t proven anything other than he has the greenest of green lights lol. I also don’t think that if Carr isn’t playing 30+mpg that it somehow means he’s a bust and we need to recruit a transfer over him either.

Gainey missed out on his opportunity to make an impact and solidify a role going forward, I'm afraid. More investment in Dubar and Milicic, and more beneficial to prep Carr if he's ready. Gainey can provide leadership, but if he's not shooting well (which he didn't last year), he's holding someone back.

VN Store

Back