2024 Transfer Portal Thread

I was saying I think Gainey has less than those guys

Ohhh... could see that, but I feel like Barnes will lean on the experienced guards more than the forwards/frontcourt

I hope Dubar and Igor are that good...cause if they both can clock more minutes than Gainey then it means one (or both) is capable of guarding at the 3

Ohhh... could see that, but I feel like Barnes will lean on the experienced guards more than the forwards/frontcourt

I hope Dubar and Igor are that good...cause if they both can clock more minutes than Gainey then it means one (or both) is capable of guarding at the 3
I just think if Zeigler/Lanier/Mashack are your clear 1-3 starters and probably combining for 90+ minutes that only leaves 30 minutes for Gainey & Carr to split. Even if both play the 4 solely and at an even split it’s 20/20 for Igor/Dubar.

I'm not sure... Gainey was 6th on the team in MPG. ZZ is the only returning player that clocked more minutes.

5th on the team in FGAs, again ZZ is the only returning player that had more. But I think landing Lanier might have hurt Gainey's chances this season. Unlike Mashack he doesn't offer you much other than offense and the bulk of his minutes came earlier in the year as ZZ was still getting healthy and Santi missed time.

I just think if Zeigler/Lanier/Mashack are your clear 1-3 starters and probably combining for 90+ minutes that only leaves 30 minutes for Gainey & Carr to split. Even if both play the 4 solely and at an even split it’s 20/20 for Igor/Dubar.

Yeah, I see the logic.

ZZ = 30+
Lanier = gotta assume if he's healthy he'll be 30+
Mashack = don't know here, he hasn't been a 20mpg player yet but even if he's getting 22-25 a game it still leaves less than 40 for Gainey/Carr to split... and that's assuming Dubar isn't also eating into some minutes at the 3 spot

You're right even if you split it 50/50 for the 4/5 between Igor, Dubar, Felix, and JP they'd all still clock 20 and Gainey looks less likely to get that many.

PG: ZZ 30 / Lanier 5 / Gainey 5
SG: Lanier 20 / Gainey 10 / Carr 10
SF: Shack 25 / Dubar 10 / Carr 5
PF: Igor 25 / Dubar 15
C: Okpara 20 / JP 20

😊 Even though Gainey probably won’t get 15mpg lol

What do y'all think of minutes distribution (assuming no more roster additions of guys who will play)? I thought about doing this by position, but there are so many guys on the roster that can play 3+ positions, that's almost impossible.

Zeigler: 30
Lanier: 28
Mashack: 24
Milicic: 22
Okpara: 22
Carr: 22
Estrella: 18
Gainey: 15
Dubar: 15
Phillips: 6
Boswell: 0

Looks like Jaxson Robinson to UK is happening. He has withdrawn from the draft and will be committing to UK according to Jeff Borzello.
Going to be lots of interesting studies to see how well multiple new pieces perform as or within units in this wide open portal world. He may be wrong but I think roles and cohesiveness are big parts of CRB’s calculations. Can get lucky, but I like a reasoned plan instead, especially this time of year.

Looks like Jaxson Robinson to UK is happening. He has withdrawn from the draft and will be committing to UK according to Jeff Borzello.
Going to be lots of interesting studies to see how well multiple new pieces perform as or within units in this wide open portal world. He may be wrong but I think roles and cohesiveness are big parts of CRB’s calculations. Can get lucky, but I like a reasoned plan instead, especially this time of year.

Ain’t worried.

Hope he can make everyone happy with soooo many minutes. Most of those guys averaged 30mpg last season.

What do y'all think of minutes distribution (assuming no more roster additions of guys who will play)? I thought about doing this by position, but there are so many guys on the roster that can play 3+ positions, that's almost impossible.

Zeigler: 30
Lanier: 28
Mashack: 24
Milicic: 22
Okpara: 22
Carr: 22
Estrella: 18
Gainey: 15
Dubar: 15
Phillips: 6
Boswell: 0
Blowouts skew things as if you ever look at a year end MPG average it doesn’t equal 200 because of DNP’s, so I post mine more from a competitive game standpoint and everyone available…

Zeigler 33
Lanier 27
Mashack 25
Igor 22
Okpara 22
Dubar 21
Estrella 18
Carr 17
Gainey 15

Blowouts skew things as if you ever look at a year end MPG average it doesn’t equal 200 because of DNP’s, so I post mine more from a competitive game standpoint and everyone available…

Zeigler 33
Lanier 27
Mashack 25
Igor 22
Okpara 22
Dubar 21
Estrella 18
Carr 17
Gainey 15
Looks like the only major differences are Dubar and Carr. Being able to play multiple positions might get Dubar over 20. I just want Carr to break out so much this season I'm probably adding in some unrealistic minutes to his total.

Zeigler 33
Lanier 27
Mashack 25
Igor 22
Okpara 22
Dubar 21
Estrella 18
Carr 17
Gainey 15

You aren’t the first person to predict Gainey’s minutes going down.

I’m not arguing. But fascinated to see how that plays out. At times, he really showed potential. I can see it going either way. Him making a big leap, or just being the odd man out. Not sure which.

Looks like the only major differences are Dubar and Carr. Being able to play multiple positions might get Dubar over 20. I just want Carr to break out so much this season I'm probably adding in some unrealistic minutes to his total.
A best case scenario, if we are to say Gainey has a similar season, would be his minutes are way less and those are distributed to the others who have good seasons…but that’s hard to project/assume. However if you do and say we go 8…

Zeigler 32/Lanier 8
Lanier 22/Carr 18
Mashack 25/Dubar 10/Carr 5
Igor 25/Dubar 15
Okpara 22/Estrella 18

Gives you:
Zeigler 32
Lanier 30
Mashack 25
Igor 25
Dubar 25
Carr 23
Okpara 22
Estrella 18

You aren’t the first person to predict Gainey’s minutes going down.

I’m not arguing. But fascinated to see how that plays out. At times, he really showed potential. I can see it going either way. Him making a big leap, or just being the odd man out. Not sure which.
I mentioned it, but would like to see Lanier get the backup PG duties if he can handle it, assuming Boswell can’t. That would allow Gainey to just focus on being a 2 where I think he would likely regain some confidence in his shot.

Reactions: berryvol
I think Igor and Dubar both play more, and I think there’s a solid chance Carr does as well, and potentially even the backup 5 (Estrella imo). I think Gainey is likely 8-9 in MPG
What we all should like is there is a depth of competition for playing time everywhere except PG. Worrying about how many minutes any specific player gets is fruitless because whoever gets those minutes will likely be playing well enough to take them from another qualifier player. I hope Gainey plays 25 minutes a game because he will be tearing it up if he earns that many minutes. Substitute any other name for Gainey and I’ll feel the same. JMO, TIFWIW

Reactions: Vols All Day
Gainey missed out on his opportunity to make an impact and solidify a role going forward, I'm afraid. More investment in Dubar and Milicic, and more beneficial to prep Carr if he's ready. Gainey can provide leadership, but if he's not shooting well (which he didn't last year), he's holding someone back.
Started the year shooting well then had to battle through a slump. Who’s to say he won’t start out this season on fire and keep it going? Vescovi taught us that you just can’t predict how well a player will shoot in a season.

I'm not sure... Gainey was 6th on the team in MPG. ZZ is the only returning player that clocked more minutes.

5th on the team in FGAs, again ZZ is the only returning player that had more. But I think landing Lanier might have hurt Gainey's chances this season. Unlike Mashack he doesn't offer you much other than offense and the bulk of his minutes came earlier in the year as ZZ was still getting healthy and Santi missed time.
I think Gainey was providing solid D as the season progressed and has some timely steals in the tournament. He improved his all around game as the year progressed.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
I hope Carr earns majority of bench SG minutes over Gainey. He'll be huge for future in 2025 and want him to keep developing.

Tons of flexibility 2-5 with a lot of guys so going to be a lot of tinkering early in the year.

Yeah, this is a roster with a lot of positionless lineup possibilities - we can go big or small depending on matchups, just a ton of options and ways to play for Barnes and staff to sift through. Might take half the season to really dial in the rotations, but it should be a lot of fun watching this group develop and come together.

Does anyone see Shack having a Josh Richardson type senior year? I know his offensive game has been improving consistently and I see him eerily similar to JRich in production and potential. His SR Year he blew up, we have way more options on this team but I can envision it.

VN Store

Back