2024 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost no team is immune from the portal. Some players will leave UT and pretty much every other program. Some will surprise and disappoint. I've no inside knowledge of anything but just the way the world works.

I'd love to see the sit out year return but that's gone forever.

I don’t think there is any doubt we have some transfers. At least one anyway, at this point it’s to be expected.

Just really, really hope it’s not Wynn. I was really impressed with her improvements this season and think she has a ton of potential. Felt like she didn’t get as many opportunities as she should have especially with some shaky play from Powell toward the end of SEC play.

I don't think for one second Wynn would transfer. I believe she and her mother understand the value of being a LVFL, and she's not going to walk away from that. Also, I think I read somewhere Kaiya has aspirations of following in her mother's footsteps and going into medicine in the future. To a kid with a much higher goal like that, a situation like she has at Tennessee is ideal. A person like Kaiya doesn't NEED to leave to find fulfillment as the superstar on a basketball team. Her life cup is plenty full right where she is.

I don't think for one second Wynn would transfer. I believe she and her mother understand the value of being a LVFL, and she's not going to walk away from that. Also, I think I read somewhere Kaiya has aspirations of following in her mother's footsteps and going into medicine in the future. To a kid with a much higher goal like that, a situation like she has at Tennessee is ideal. A person like Kaiya doesn't NEED to leave to find fulfillment as the superstar on a basketball team. Her life cup is plenty full right where she is.

I agree, but for the record, Kaiya’s mom is a Doctor of Education. Not a medical doctor.

I’m assuming Wells will take PG duties but she is going to need some help. Wynn should be the other PG imo, maybe even the starter with Wells coming off the bench until she is 100%. I expect to see Cooper playing more of the 2/3 with Spear. They’re both going to have to be in a position to score or we are cooked unless we pull another big time scorer from the portal. Putting Puckett/Strip at their more natural 4 spot and closing out the 5 with TK and Jill.

I don’t think we need anymore 4 players. We have had a logjam there for several seasons. For a post we really need a true 5 who WANTS to be a 5 with 2-3 years of remaining eligibility. Once TK is gone we lose our rim protector.

Otherwise I think we need a player who can sub Spear/Cooper that has handles and a 3 point shot.

Darby can shoot but she has no handles. She did start crashing the glass which earned her some more minutes toward the end of the season.
Coop is a natural 2 who could play some 3 and even some 1. At the two spot she is more of a slasher than a perimeter three point shooter or jump shooter in general however, so depends on the team’s needs if she plays at the 2. She will be an excellent defender at spots 1-3 and a very good rebounder at all three spots. If UT is looking for or needs players to get to the rim from their 2-3 spots she fills that role very nicely. If she is transitioned to the PG spot, I think she will do well there outside of 3pt shooting, she played PG in HS but once she got to college her skills played better at the 2 spot her freshman year, but she is so athletic I could see her transitioning well.

I watched her in HS and her freshman year a bunch, I think based upon UT’s current roster for next year CKH will start her at the 2, but keep in mind she will be the most athletic player on the team from day one and versatile enough for the coaches to move her around between 1-3, and yes she is big enough to play 3, she might excel there actually with her speed and quickness. She elevates well. The one thing she should not be expected to do immediately is be a knockdown shooter if left open on the perimeter, it’s not her super power at this point.

So much depends on which players UT brings in from the portal and what positions they play. And yes, UT will have success in the portal, RJ’s $ is available for new singnee(s). It’s good that Coop is so versatile, gives the staff more options with the portal.

Last edited:
Thanks for the analysis @Rooster1. I've watched her at practice and she's everything you say. Reminds me of a young Jordan Horston. It will be interesting to see how she develops in the offseason.
Coop is a natural 2 who could play some 3 and even some 1. At the two spot she is more of a slasher than a perimeter three point shooter or jump shooter in general however, so depends on the team’s needs if she plays at the 2. She will be an excellent defender at spots 1-3 and a very good rebounder at all three spots. If UT is looking for or needs players to get to the rim from their 2-3 spots she fills that role very nicely. If she is transitioned to the PG spot, I think she will do well there outside of 3pt shooting, she played PG in HS but once she got to college her skills played better at the 2 spot her freshman year, but she is so athletic I could see her transitioning well.

I watched her in HS and her freshman year a bunch, I think based upon UT’s current roster for next year CKH will start her at the 2, but keep in mind she will be the most athletic player on the team from day one and versatile enough for the coaches to move her around between 1-3, and yes she is big enough to play 3, she might excel there actually with her speed and quickness. She elevates well. The one thing she should not be expected to do immediately is be a knockdown shooter if left open on the perimeter, it’s not her super power at this point.

So much depends on which players UT brings in from the portal and what positions they play. And yes, UT will have success in the portal, RJ’s $ is available for new singnee(s). It’s good that Coop is so versatile, gives the staff more options with the portal.

Good lord, don't you folks read the previous posts before posting?

Miles leaving Tennessee had nothing to do with playing time. Also, none of those that have left the team were a surprise, some were even invited to go.

Miles wanted more playing time, and she got it at Kentucky. I really think that as a junior, she really wanted to be a starter and knew Powell was in front of her. Kentucky was close to home, and it just made sense. The portal giveth, but it also takes away.

Last year it didn't feel like a surprise that Miles was headed out given the effort bring in new point guards from the portal (Powell, Wells). And the year before I don't think anyone was surprised that Saunders left. Pissott leaving last year was definitely a surprise.

I would be surprised if anyone from this roster transferred out, but you're right that at this point in the era of the portal, it seems that almost all teams lose at least a player or two every year.

I'm also anxious to hear about our players potentially using the COVID year: Spear, Key, and Darby.

Miles leaving Tennessee had nothing to do with playing time. Also, none of those that have left the team were a surprise, some were even invited to go.
Why did Miles leave? I'd always heard she wanted more playing time.

Miles is a good quick p.g.

Miles is a bad quick PG.

In 18 SEC games this year, shooting 39% overall; 26% on 3s, 2.6/2.2 assist to TO ratio, 20th percentile in PER, negative win shares, 20th percentile offensive rating, 16th percentile defensive rating.

Good at nothing, but she is quick.

Thanks for the analysis @Rooster1. I've watched her at practice and she's everything you say. Reminds me of a young Jordan Horston. It will be interesting to see how she develops in the offseason.
Thx Earl, as you know she can get to the rim like Jordy could, with authority. And she will be a nightmare to guard because of her speed and athleticism, if she develops the outside shot where she is close to 35% from there she will be All Conference type player, she has all the other skills already. The first few times I saw her play in college she seemed like a S. Rivers clone to me, which is a good thing obviously. Look back at her freshman season box scores, she had a three game stretch in the middle part of the season where she was lighting it up. She scored 15 against aTm in 20 minutes.

Earl, I hope to see you at the tourney again next year, if so let’s plan on dinner with the wives if you like. I will be in the same seating area. Went to Hall’s steak house after the LSU game Saturday night, the one in Greenville is A+. Check out the Grand Bohemian Hotel for accommodations if you have never stayed there before while in Greenville.

Last edited:
Reactions: FormerLadyVolFan

I was just saying Pissott leaving was a surprise to me (and I thought most on here), but maybe not within the team/coaching staff. That said, I'm pretty sure that insiders here posted around March/April last year that after Miles entered the portal on April 4, that that was going to be the only transfer, then Pissott entered on April 16.

It was great to meet you and put a face with a name, er handle...Sounds like a plan! We usually stay at the team hotel, which has been the Springhill Suites the last two years.

Greenville is a great town, my daughter is a Clemson grad, so I've spent a good bit of time there in the past.

Good luck in the big dance!
Thx Earl, as you know she can get to the rim like Jordy could, with authority. And she will be a nightmare to guard because of her speed and athleticism, if she develops the outside shot where she is close to 35% from there she will be All Conference type player, she has all the other skills already. The first few times I saw her play in college she seemed like a S. Rivers clone to me, which is a good thing obviously. Look back at her freshman season box scores, she had a three game stretch in the middle part of the season where she was lighting it up. She scored 15 against aTm in 20 minutes.

Earl, I hope to see you at the tourney again next year, if so let’s plan on dinner with the wives if you like. I will be in the same seating area. Went to Hall’s steak house after the LSU game Saturday night, the one in Greenville is A+. Check out the Grand Bohemian Hotel for accommodations if you have never stayed there before while in Greenville.

I’m assuming Wells will take PG duties but she is going to need some help. Wynn should be the other PG imo, maybe even the starter with Wells coming off the bench until she is 100%. I expect to see Cooper playing more of the 2/3 with Spear. They’re both going to have to be in a position to score or we are cooked unless we pull another big time scorer from the portal. Putting Puckett/Strip at their more natural 4 spot and closing out the 5 with TK and Jill.

I don’t think we need anymore 4 players. We have had a logjam there for several seasons. For a post we really need a true 5 who WANTS to be a 5 with 2-3 years of remaining eligibility. Once TK is gone we lose our rim protector.

Otherwise I think we need a player who can sub Spear/Cooper that has handles and a 3 point shot.

Darby can shoot but she has no handles. She did start crashing the glass which earned her some more minutes toward the end of the season.
So no1 saw where they were sagging off of Wynn. Unless she find a shot then it’s not a good position for her or the team. And she isn’t a great ball handler and just like the rest of our guards she gets frazzled by a press. She’s not our future great point guard.

Yeah, let's just say Justine was not a good teammate and leave it at that. 😉 I hope she did better with that at Vandy...and did the extra work that you need to put in to be successful at a Power 5 team...
I was just saying Pissott leaving was a surprise to me (and I thought most on here), but maybe not within the team/coaching staff. That said, I'm pretty sure that insiders here posted around March/April last year that after Miles entered the portal on April 4, that that was going to be the only transfer, then Pissott entered on April 16.

Last edited:
So no1 saw where they were sagging off of Wynn. Unless she find a shot then it’s not a good position for her or the team. And she isn’t a great ball handler and just like the rest of our guards she gets frazzled by a press. She’s not our future great point guard.
That’s why Ace went in early the USC game. Tess subbed for Kaiya who they literally dared to do something and couldn’t then Tess couldn’t guard Tessa… so Ace came in

I agree Kaiya has to do something to improve her offense to make teams respect her slightly more

With that being said Kaiya is a great asset on the bench. Really helps our depth

Alexis Whitfield (6-2 SR forward, West Hills, CA) into the portal, as a grad xfer out of UC Santa Barbara WBB; 2023-24 stats: 15.1 PPG, 9.8 RPG; first-team All–Big West; started college career at Washington

Would be a nice pick up the TN and she has game, Note she was on a bad team

Last edited:
Almost no team is immune from the portal. Some players will leave UT and pretty much every other program. Some will surprise and disappoint. I've no inside knowledge of anything but just the way the world works.

I'd love to see the sit out year return but that's gone forever.

We're in a new era of complete player entitlement. Somehow this notion developed that playing a collegiate sport is this horrible hardship--instead of a fun privilege--and everything possible must be done to please the players and not hurt their feelings in any way. It's a bit nauseating, really.

Yeah, let's just say Justine was not a good teammate and leave it at that. 😉 I hope she did better with that at Vandy...and did the extra work that you need to put in to be successful at a Power 5 team...
Watching how some normally mild-mannered players like Darby, Pucket and Striplin interacted with her in the two games against Vanderbilt tells you all you need to know about Pissott’s year at Tennessee.

We're in a new era of complete player entitlement. Somehow this notion developed that playing a collegiate sport is this horrible hardship--instead of a fun privilege--and everything possible must be done to please the players and not hurt their feelings in any way. It's a bit nauseating, really.
Just curious what your opinion on the fire Kellie convo is?

Yikes. Not that I am under any delusion that my opinion matters one iota to anyone but myself, but I'm kinda thinkin' the fanbase is inviting bad karma by badmouthing former players. We might ought to strongly consider taking the high ground and avoid discussing former players unless there is something positive to say.

I don't think we can afford to be catty and petty, karma-wise. If if ain't kind, and if it ain't necessary, consider simply not saying it at all. 🙏🏼

Watching how some normally mild-mannered players like Darby, Pucket and Striplin interacted with her in the two games against Vanderbilt tells you all you need to know about Pissott’s year at Tennessee.
I get the sense watching what she did in Vandy games that she wasn't willing to do the hard work or grind for the ball. She definitely came across with an attitude.

Reactions: FormerLadyVolFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back