2024 Transfer Portal

He had a total of 23 AB’s all year, most of those happening in conference play. He was the front runner for the SS job coming into the season and we will see that reason next year if he is healthy
True. He lost the starting SS position because of injury. He covers more ground of a college player I have ever seen.

Considering we are heavily after Kilen and Curley is theoretically still at SS, I don’t think it’s fair assessment to say people are on drugs if they think Antigua doesn’t end up at SS.
I think he's more saying if he's in the lineup he's at SS. Unless bat is very legit it's wasteful to plug him in at 2nd.

Reactions: spyfish007
I’ll repeat an earlier post because I think it is very valid. Aside from playing for a great coach in Tony V, I believe Laviolette would kill it with the short right field fence at Lindsey Nelson. I could see him hitting 30 to 35 homers playing with us.
Easily

Reactions: Rocky Top T
I’ll repeat an earlier post because I think it is very valid. Aside from playing for a great coach in Tony V, I believe Laviolette would kill it with the short right field fence at Lindsey Nelson. I could see him hitting 30 to 35 homers playing with us.

The buzz is it's Texas or LSU for him.

LSU I can get. Idk how any player that played for A&M would want to follow him to Texas. Unless he told the better players what was going on.
If he decides to follow that slug to Texas, we don’t want him in this program. Either you are loyal or you aren’t. Nobody should respect what the A&M coach did.

If he decides to follow that slug to Texas, we don’t want him in this program. Either you are loyal or you aren’t. Nobody should respect what the A&M coach did.
And as Tony himself has said, not everyone is a fit for the Tennessee culture. I’m not saying this here, but it’s quite possible that could be the case.

I think Greg McElroy's initial comments about our coach are a good reminder that players choose to play for a coach because they respect him and respond to his way of coaching.

No surprise that a guy who wanted to play for Sabin, a guy who found success under Sabin's personality, would find it nearly impossible to imagine playing for a Tony Vitello.

I think we would all agree that the sight of Sabin acting like Vitello after a game would look ludicrous. Sabin would have to shed his dignity to do or say the things that Tony does---because that's not Sabin. When Tony does it, it rings true with sincerity and transparency.

Sabin's was the image that McElroy, given his personality and prior experiences, admired and respected.

All that to say... A&M guys who chose to play for Schlossbagel probably aren't gonna be the kinds of guys--in personality or experience--who would respond to Tony the way our guys have.

So much of portal discussion online deals with players like bubblegum cards: stats to collect, combine, and plug into the lineup. Hopefully we've all learned from this amazing season just how much success depends on the intangibles, and how a team fits together off the diamond.

Last edited:
I will make a bold declaration. Anyone putting Antigua at 2nd instead of SS is on drugs or does not understand baseball at all. He is either an everyday player at SS or not in the line up. Sure he played 2nd some in situational baseball, very understandable. You can put your bigger bat at 2nd and they have less fielding opportunities so don't have to be as strong of a fielder. AA is dynamite at SS. I think many other pieces can rightfully be moved around.
👆 💯

Lol. Some of y’all are building theoretical lineups out of 6-7 transfers. I think we will get 3 or 4 in the lineup, but don’t sleep on the HS ranks and traditional development. As this year showed, chemistry and camaraderie is everything. And the willingness to compete your ass off. Guys like Hunter High, Alex Perry, Colby Backus, etc are still here.

Loyalty goes both ways.

A&M broke its loyalty when they lost the coach that recruited the players. IMO, the players owe the school no loyalty.

Schlossnagle seems like a dirtbag. I wouldn’t want my kid playing for him.
To be fair, I think there was absolutely nothing A&M could've done to prevent him from bolting for Texas. He's with his BFF Del Conte, and I've read that he may make somewhere in the vicinity of $3 million at his new gig. I absolutely do not think he's worth that much, so A&M would've been insane to try and beat that.

I've heard some folks talk about delays in stadium upgrades and whatnot, but I just hard pressed to believe Schlossnagle ever would have turned this opportunity down.

Lol. Some of y’all are building theoretical lineups out of 6-7 transfers. I think we will get 3 or 4 in the lineup, but don’t sleep on the HS ranks and traditional development. As this year showed, chemistry and camaraderie is everything. And the willingness to compete your ass off. Guys like Hunter High, Alex Perry, Colby Backus, etc are still here.
They have been talking some of the guys who were redshirting up this year. You never know who might be a gamer who is just sitting on the bench right now. That being said, the two ATM kids are probably better than anyone we have on next years roster.

They have been talking some of the guys who were redshirting this year. You never know who might be a gamer who is just sitting on the bench right now. That being said, the two ATM kids are probably better than anyone we have on next years roster.
Just give me Kilen, Grahovac, and Laviolette/or some other outfielder.

Anything else is cake.

To be fair, I think there was absolutely nothing A&M could've done to prevent him from bolting for Texas. He's with his BFF Del Conte, and I've read that he may make somewhere in the vicinity of $3 million at his new gig. I absolutely do not think he's worth that much, so A&M would've been insane to try and beat that.

I've heard some folks talk about delays in stadium upgrades and whatnot, but I just hard pressed to believe Schlossnagle ever would have turned this opportunity down.

All true. And A&M did not break its loyalty to Schlossnagle. He broke it with them.

But, Schlossnagle was a representative of A&M when he recruited these players to play for him, and he (and A&M by extension) broke their loyalty to the players when he ceased to be the coach.

The players have every right to leave or stay as they desire.

It is disloyal. But I don't blame them. I also won't pretend there's any loyalty in them.
Just remember that most of these kids don’t sign with the school anymore out of loyalty or love for the school. They sign with the coach that recruits them and now the money thrown at them for NIL. If the coach leaves (and especially looking at how Schlossnagle left), they have every right to look at their options.

VN Store

Back