2024 Transfer Portal

They have been talking some of the guys who were redshirting up this year. You never know who might be a gamer who is just sitting on the bench right now. That being said, the two ATM kids are probably better than anyone we have on next years roster.

Agreed. I don’t expect us to get 6-8 new positions players in the portal, but we do have some absolutely massive shoes to fill and asking a bunch of freshmen or redshirt players to do so is a lot of pressure.

I think we will look to bring on 3-4 position guys. And that’s probably reasonable. Still leaves room for 5-6 current players to crack the lineup.

If we somehow landed LaViolette, Kilen, and Grahovac, that would be perfect. The other 6 spots could be filled by younger guys. We just need some proven offensive production for this lineup. If Ensley leaves, that’s 7 of your 9 positions gone.

Lol. Some of y’all are building theoretical lineups out of 6-7 transfers. I think we will get 3 or 4 in the lineup, but don’t sleep on the HS ranks and traditional development. As this year showed, chemistry and camaraderie is everything. And the willingness to compete your ass off. Guys like Hunter High, Alex Perry, Colby Backus, etc are still here.

They will understand after they see some of these other guys play..... Loaded.

McKee said on Swain Event today that Texas is giving blank checks to the A&M guys and letting them fill out a number.

Thats unfortunate for us, but I don’t think our pitch has ever been about having one of the highest NIL offers. Which seems to me what Tony wants anyway. We certainly won’t pinch pennies, but we just have to hope the A&M players care about more than just the $ on the check.

After how everything went down, maybe that will spur them on Schloss.

McKee said on Swain Event today that Texas is giving blank checks to the A&M guys and letting them fill out a number.
aTm tried that in football and the Vols certainly saw what a couple of guys who weren't bought in to the "team" first attitudes could do to a locker room. I think Vitello's approach is not only sound but proven. Stay the course in the portal. All that glitters ain't gold.

Loyalty would be staying at A&M through this. They’re not loyal.
I understand that up to a point. I can't follow you all the way. It really depends on who they hire and who else stays. And if his heart is not in it, he has to go. This is a devastating shake up. Just think, you had plans and now they are all trashed.

All true. And A&M did not break its loyalty to Schlossnagle. He broke it with them.

But, Schlossnagle was a representative of A&M when he recruited these players to play for him, and he (and A&M by extension) broke their loyalty to the players when he ceased to be the coach.

The players have every right to leave or stay as they desire.
Yeah not buying that the coach represents the loyalty of the university. It doesn't invalidate your last point about players have the right to go. It really is logical or function. If the university or the coach breaks your trust or loyalty then you have the moral high ground to leave.

Reactions: EZE
How much are we undervaluing our incoming freshmen class? Are people thinking they don't make it to campus so discount it? Are people thinking they are freshmen and the impact will be limited? I've been excited about the class and seems others want to focus on portal and I am wondering if that is at the expense of the freshmen class.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
How much are we undervaluing our incoming freshmen class? Are people thinking they don't make it to campus so discount it? Are people thinking they are freshmen and the impact will be limited? I've been excited about the class and seems others want to focus on portal and I am wondering if that is at the expense of the freshmen class.

Personally, I just think it’s hard to count on freshmen, especially when we have a ton of holes to fill. You don’t want your roster to be too young. You need some experience.

He had a total of 23 AB’s all year, most of those happening in conference play. He was the front runner for the SS job coming into the season and we will see that reason next year if he is healthy
Ok...ok..I hear ya.

But he did not meet my eye test at all. Players play. I saw really bad technique. Overswinging. How he hit in Fall or this coming Fall does not mean a whole lot to me. How long do you guys think it takes to "get your swing and timing back" after an injury??? Players play. For instance, how long did it take Amick to get it back from freakin surgery??? Well, 1st AB he went deep. Players play.

I'm not against the guy. But if a proven SS or 2B is in the portal.......grab him.

Personally, I just think it’s hard to count on freshmen, especially when we have a ton of holes to fill. You don’t want your roster to be too young. You need some experience.
Fair. How many freshmen is too many? We rolled with 2 freshman pitchers 2 years ago. 1 freshmen SS this year.

Thats unfortunate for us, but I don’t think our pitch has ever been about having one of the highest NIL offers. Which seems to me what Tony wants anyway. We certainly won’t pinch pennies, but we just have to hope the A&M players care about more than just the $ on the check.

After how everything went down, maybe that will spur them on Schloss.
What’s unfortunate is…because of the way it was handled, the only way they follow him is money.

Ok...ok..I hear ya.

But he did not meet my eye test at all. Players play. I saw really bad technique. Overswinging. How he hit in Fall or this coming Fall does not mean a whole lot to me. How long do you guys think it takes to "get your swing and timing back" after an injury??? Players play. For instance, how long did it take Amick to get it back from freakin surgery??? Well, 1st AB he went deep. Players play.

I'm not against the guy. But if a proven SS or 2B is in the portal.......grab him.
Well given amick hit like .100 his freshman year their is also something for giving a guy some time to develop

Reactions: NighthawkVol
I understand that up to a point. I can't follow you all the way. It really depends on who they hire and who else stays. And if his heart is not in it, he has to go. This is a devastating shake up. Just think, you had plans and now they are all trashed.
Like I said, I don't blame them at all for leaving. But they aren't loyal by definition.

I think Peebles , Ensley and Curley start I’m not sure about the other 5 positions , I’m sure Tony really don’t want 4 or 5 inexperienced starters , Bargo and Chapman will be in the mix and AA if he can improve offensively , I just don’t think your gonna win in the SEC with too many inexperienced guys unless you have an elite pitching staff , it’ll be interesting to see Tony and Josh build the 2025 roster , the draft could really hurt us

VN Store

Back