2024 Transfer Portal

Loyalty is different inside than outside. If he came to them personally one on one, let's say Sunday after the game, and told them that he was leaving and wanted them to go with him but they had to go into the portal and that he would give them more NIL money than they were getting at T A&M, then in their minds. He is loyal to them, personally. They won't care what he did to the fans. He was loyal to them. I'm not saying this is what happened but it easily could have been.

Ok...ok..I hear ya.

But he did not meet my eye test at all. Players play. I saw really bad technique. Overswinging. How he hit in Fall or this coming Fall does not mean a whole lot to me. How long do you guys think it takes to "get your swing and timing back" after an injury??? Players play. For instance, how long did it take Amick to get it back from freakin surgery??? Well, 1st AB he went deep. Players play.

I'm not against the guy. But if a proven SS or 2B is in the portal.......grab him.
Yeah…I don’t agree with this at all. 23 AB’s is not a big enough sample size. There’s a reason MLB guys go on rehab assignments before they go back to the MLB.

That has to be a blatant lie or it's true and Texas is lying to them. If that's the case I'm writing it for $20M if I'm some of those guys.
It’s just an exaggeration lol

Just saying they will outbid whatever it takes to get them, which they should since they prob would’ve been favorites to win it next year

Last edited:
Not apples to apples. Ensley was proven commodity. Led us in SEC hitting in 2023. Next question.
Yeah sure. Why did Hunter going from leading us in hitting %, to being flat out bad through the first 1/3 of this year? And how did he end up being good again? Do you think being in the starting lineup every day and working himself out of his slump had something to do with it? You want more questions?

Loyalty is different inside than outside. If he came to them personally one on one, let's say Sunday after the game, and told them that he was leaving and wanted them to go with him but they had to go into the portal and that he would give them more NIL money than they were getting at T A&M, then in their minds. He is loyal to them, personally. They won't care what he did to the fans. He was loyal to them. I'm not saying this is what happened but it easily could have been.
That is why again I say there is loyalty to the school and there is loyalty to the coach. They are two separate entities. Sometimes they are aligned and sometimes they are not.

I'm excited about Curley, I think he develops into one of the top hitters for us next year. Had an impressive year offensively and defensively.

I think he would be a natural fit to slide in at 3B, he has a cannon and can get it over to first in a hurry. Could easily see him replacing Amick. Maybe not 3rd in BO as portal guys may affect the order.

I'll give the edge to AA for SS. His quickness and athleticism is impeccable, will have to improve his bat, but this staff can develop so he will be fine.

We got alot of pitching depth the replace gotta make that a priority in portal

I'm excited about Curley, I think he develops into one of the top hitters for us next year. Had an impressive year offensively and defensively.

I think he would be a natural fit to slide in at 3B, he has a cannon and can get it over to first in a hurry. Could easily see him replacing Amick. Maybe not 3rd in BO as portal guys may affect the order.

I'll give the edge to AA for SS. His quickness and athleticism is impeccable, will have to improve his bat, but this staff can develop so he will be fine.

We got alot of pitching depth the replace gotta make that a priority in portal
I wouldn't call Curley impressive defensively. He's just OK as a shortstop in the field. Offensively, sure...his bat has a chance to be elite. But he led the team in errors and had the second worst fielding% on the team. His defense is what had him behind Antigua at one point. If you could meld AA's glove with Curley's bat, you'd have a surefire 1st round pick. Curley is probably a 1st-rounder anyway. I think a move to 3rd and additional experience will only benefit him defensively.

They have been talking some of the guys who were redshirting up this year. You never know who might be a gamer who is just sitting on the bench right now. That being said, the two ATM kids are probably better than anyone we have on next years roster.
High, Bates, Lawless, Grimmer, Eaton, and Sharp are all guys who either redshirted this year or played sparingly as freshmen, and who they’re high on. Let em develop over an offseason Ave see where they are next year. We’re going to be pleasantly surprised.

Not to say we shouldn’t or won’t get some good portal adds. We will. But it’ll be a mix of returnees, portal guys, and a few college ready freshmen who fill the holes next year.

It’s going to be fun to watch.

Last edited:
I think Greg McElroy's initial comments about our coach are a good reminder that players choose to play for a coach because they respect him and respond to his way of coaching.

No surprise that a guy who wanted to play for Sabin, a guy who found success under Sabin's personality, would find it nearly impossible to imagine playing for a Tony Vitello.

I think we would all agree that the sight of Sabin acting like Vitello after a game would look ludicrous. Sabin would have to shed his dignity to do or say the things that Tony does---because that's not Sabin. When Tony does it, it rings true with sincerity and transparency.

Sabin's was the image that McElroy, given his personality and prior experiences, admired and respected.

All that to say... A&M guys who chose to play for Schlossbagel probably aren't gonna be the kinds of guys--in personality or experience--who would respond to Tony the way our guys have.

So much of portal discussion online deals with players like bubblegum cards: stats to collect, combine, and plug into the lineup. Hopefully we've all learned from this amazing season just how much success depends on the intangibles, and how a team fits together off the diamond.
Have you watched in game videos of Sabin? He is every bit as animated as Tony V. Most competitive people I know have a fire burning inside.

Have you watched in game videos of Sabin? He is every bit as animated as Tony V. Most competitive people I know have a fire burning inside.
For sure, during competition.

But I understood McElroy's comments to be about Tony's after game celebration, when Sabin's inner-Belichick returns to the surface.

Reactions: Halph66
Yes. But I’m not sure what talking to Heupel would do for recruiting a baseball player lol.
All it stated was he talked with the best football coach in America and several alumni. Just because Laviolete is baseball play doesn't preclude him from talking to coaches of other sports. And according to McElroy, Tony V. was too busy running around being embarrassing.

The original post from the Laviolette thread on VQ,

“As of about (10) minutes ago, rumors are flying out College Station that Laviolette is heading to Knoxville. To be fair to them, one of their connected sources was getting info/rumors from his Knoxville counterpart.

I think they are just throwing darts at this point but it definitely has been a topic of discussion for them this morning.”

In my opinion, when you end your comment with “I think they are just throwing darts at this point” its validity goes out the window. But it’s interesting to see how this transpires. Also the verbiage “Laviolette is headed to Knoxville” isn’t clear enough to warrant anything specifically. Headed to Knoxville on a visit? Headed to Knoxville as in committing? Who the heck knows.

Aggie sites and boards claiming Laviolette smoke is real for us landing him. Who knows what happens but there’s definitely interest from both parties I’d assume. He’s so close to breaking the A&M homerun record though, I’m not sure how much that means to him.

Reactions: StarRaider

VN Store

Back