2024 Transfer Portal

NIL has made their sorry program even worse in every sport. Baseball is still respectable as of now, but we will see how long that lasts.
I think Corbs is getting to be more and more of a curmudgeon as well. Luc Lipcius (I believe it was him) mentioned playing summer ball with guys from Vandy and said the experience just didn’t sound fun. Described the program being run very much like the military (rigid, disciplined etc.). Couple that environment with their financial advantage and facility advantage eroding and the only thing they have to sell is the name on the degree.

Last edited:
It helps, but not required. As I’ve said before, I don’t think Fischer is a 1B because he’s a righty AND on the short side for a 1B. Bad combo. But that’s not the case with Rataczak.
No I’m agreeing with you.

I’m putting Fischer at LF or RF, easiest spots to play. With his arm I’m leaning toward RF.

Draft risk is there but would be a phenomenal bat to add.

All those eligible guys have to calculate potential value add for a big year at a big school on that initial contract and make a decision. Not that they were eligible, but bet C-MO and Burke both had significant increases in estimated value after this year, DD too. Gotta think it through. Coach is turning into a star maker.

Yeah I fear it's to the league for him. Hope we are wrong though lol.

He gone...
Just depends on what the offer is for the team he’s drafted by. We’ll have to wait and see what happens. Maybe it’s just another leverage transfer like Gainey and the other dude who’s name is slipping my mind. But I think we have a decent shot this time.

All those eligible guys have to calculate potential value add for a big year at a big school on that initial contract and make a decision. Not that they were eligible, but bet C-MO and Burke both had significant increases in estimated value after this year, DD too. Gotta think it through. Coach is turning into a star maker.
Excellent observation.

Reactions: the_great_pumpkin

It’s not the same scenario though. This Niagara 1B is pretty old. He’s already 23 and if he came to Tennessee he’d be 24.5 years old before the 2025 draft. No matter how good of a season he has at Tennessee, he’d have almost zero value as a nearly 25 year old prospect entering the minor leagues.

Tony V is a star maker, yes. But I don’t think Rataczak’s situation is comparable to CMO or Burke who weren’t eligible (as you said) last year.

It’s not the same scenario though. This Niagara 1B is pretty old. He’s already 23 and if he came to Tennessee he’d be 24.5 years old before the 2025 draft. No matter how good of a season he has at Tennessee, he’d have almost zero value as a nearly 25 year old prospect entering the minor leagues.

Tony V is a star maker, yes. But I don’t think Rataczak’s situation is comparable to CMO or Burke who weren’t eligible (as you said) last year.
Hmmm...this is interesting (the age issue). So what makes him less of a risk to go to the draft, as has been suggested, than the guys from the past two years who jilted us?

Right.

A lot of the new to college baseball fans don’t understand the vital importance leverage as it pertains to the draft. Not only is age a concern for Rataczak, but the loss of leverage is even bigger.

He has the threat of remaining eligibility this year. He doesn’t next year. So a team next year can draft him and offer him a pittance and there’s nothing he can do about it. This year, they have to pay him what he’s worth or he can return to school.

Burke and CMo have leverage this year. This is the same reason Dreiling, Tears, Causey, etc. are gone this year. Leverage is everything with MLB draft signability.

Hmmm...this is interesting (the age issue). So what makes him less of a risk to go to the draft, as has been suggested, than the guys from the past two years who jilted us?

Think it’s just because he isn’t as good as Galanie who also was slightly younger, I think a year younger. And Crawford wasn’t a flight risk because of age. He was a flight risk because he ended up as a 1st Round pick.

Don’t know what numbers he is hearing if he goes this year, and for sure there is risk, but there is a POSSIBILITY of rewards TOO! Like I said, think it through with data he has.

Right.

A lot of the new to college baseball fans don’t understand the vital importance leverage as it pertains to the draft. Not only is age a concern for Rataczak, but the loss of leverage is even bigger.

He has the threat of remaining eligibility this year. He doesn’t next year. So a team next year can draft him and offer him a pittance and there’s nothing he can do about it. This year, they have to pay him what he’s worth or he can return to school.

Burke and CMo have leverage this year. This is the same reason Dreiling, Tears, Causey, etc. are gone this year. Leverage is everything with MLB draft signability.
I hate the way the MLB draft is setup. Seniors shouldn't be penalized for playing longer in college. Being able to offer a kid 5k on a slot 20x that so you can give it to a high school draftee seems crazy to me.

Don’t know what numbers he is hearing if he goes this year, and for sure there is risk, but there is a POSSIBILITY of rewards TOO! Like I said, think it through with data he has.
It’s not about next year. He won’t be offered much next year regardless because he will have zero leverage. He could hit 30 HRs at Tennessee, but with no leverage, he’ll get a very small offer and be forced to take it.

If he’s drafted this year, he’s probably gone. That’s the question…will he be drafted this year?

It’s not about next year. He won’t be offered much next year regardless because he will have zero leverage. He could hit 30 HRs at Tennessee, but with no leverage, he’ll get a very small offer and be forced to take it.

If he’s drafted this year, he’s probably gone. That’s the question…will he be drafted this year?
With his numbers this year and year-to-year upward trend, I can’t imagine he wouldn’t be drafted this year. From his comments, it feels to me as if he really wants that MLB gig this year. It also feels as if we are his fall back plan B. Whatever the results, I hope he gets to ultimately chase his dreams.

With his numbers this year and year-to-year upward trend, I can’t imagine he wouldn’t be drafted this year. From his comments, it feels to me as if he really wants that MLB gig this year. It also feels as if we are his fall back plan B. Whatever the results, I hope he gets to ultimately chase his dreams.
Agree. And if he’s drafted (in any round), I’d be shocked if he returns.

Something tells me we’re getting that Ole Miss duo….I feel it in my bones
Doyle is the guy I want the most. The only negative here is the number of home runs allowed. That accounted for his higher ERA, but his other numbers are incredible. If he lowers that HR‘s allowed, he becomes a true upper tier SEC guy.

I hate the way the MLB draft is setup. Seniors shouldn't be penalized for playing longer in college. Being able to offer a kid 5k on a slot 20x that so you can give it to a high school draftee seems crazy to me.
You gotta look at it more from the perspective of they draft on potential. They can take someone who is an elite high school player at age 18 and develop them for 5 years. Or draft a 23 year old who is further along in their development. In most scenarios, the elite high school player plus 5 years of development is probably going to be better than the 23 year old senior.

Or do the same with someone like Kavares Tears plus 2 years of development.

What I think MLBPA should negotiate is draft slot floors to prevent these terrible $5k bonus offers. That’s too cheap for these billion dollar franchises.

Is there a possibility that an NIL offer might exceed the draft offer??? Enquiring minds ....

I think Corbs is getting to be more an and more of a curmudgeon as well. Luc Lipcius (I believe it was him) mentioned playing summer ball with guys from Vandy and said the experience just didn’t sound fun. Described the program being run very much like the military (rigid, disciplined etc.). Couple that environment with their financial advantage and facility advantage eroding and the only thing they have to sell is the name on the degree.
Bingo

It’s very similiar to Saban. He doesn’t have quite the advantage anymore and he will probably run and hide soon. Guy seems miserable but I can’t really blame him as he knows he’s getting lapped by the team in East Tn and the rest of the conference now.

LSU is completely remaking their lineup through the portal again. I’ll be interested to see if this is sustainable for LSU (who had a down year) or if Johnson doesn’t know how to manage roster turnover like this.

VN Store

Back