2024 Transfer Portal

For the Florida pitcher, Cade Fisher, yes. Not OM duo. VQ said Wake knocked it out of the park with Cade Fisher.
Wonder if he wants a guaranteed starting spot and Vitello wasn’t budging from that.

I read wake boards and they said he left Florida for that reason. Sounds kind of Burns-ish

That’s a little different.

Last year we had a full team of studs, who we knew was coming back. It’s fine to waste time on kids when you already have returners coming back.

Galanie wasn’t beating out Amick nor was he beating out Burke. This coming year, we have who at 3B and 1B?

If I’m Galanie why waste my time just being a DH, or potentially not even playing

See what I’m saying?
I get what you’re saying but Galanie is hitting .295 with 11 bombs currently in High A. He absolutely would have played somewhere. I just think TV takes guys with draft risks that maybe other teams wouldn’t in hopes of it working out eventually.

Could someone explain this "leverage" that he has at 23 that he loses at 24? I've seen it referenced several times and not being a "baseball" guy, I don't know what you all are talking about.
The leverage being mentioned is the option to return to school if the drafting team doesn't meet that player's dollar number he would like in order to pass up his last year(s) of eligibility.

If a team drafts a kid in the first or second round and he doesnt sign, they get that pick back the following year, minus one slot (player is drafted with the #10 pick and doesn't sign, then the club gets the #11 pick the following year). If he is drafted outside of the top 2 rounds and then doesn't sign, the team gets no compensation.

This is why you will hear terms like "signability" mentioned in the draft process, and over slot (money paid to entice a player above his draft slot value) and under slot (lesser money paid to a player below his draft slot value). Some really talented high school kids will go undrafted until the 19th or 20th round because they are considered unsignable because they are hellbent on going to college. Teams are OK risking their last pick on a super talented player who may change his mind at the last minute. College kids with the option to return for their junior or senior years pose a similar risk, but they all have agents/advisors who will float their asking price out there and most clubs have a decent idea of who can be signed and who can't, especially at the top of the draft (first 5 rounds).

Seniors without eligibility to return to college have little leverage to try and bargain with teams outside of refusing to sign, playing international league ball, and then re-entering the draft the following year with even less leverage as they've aged a year.

If a team drafts a kid in the first or second round and he doesnt sign, they get that pick back the following year, minus one slot (player is drafted with the #10 pick and doesn't sign, then the club gets the #11 pick the following year). If he is drafted outside of the top 2 rounds and then doesn't sign, the team gets no compensation.
One other thing: If a team doesn't sign someone they drafted in the top 10 rounds, they lose the money for that particular pick's slot value out of their signing pool monies. They don't like that. If someone gets drafted in top 10 rounds, they almost certainly are signing. College coaches can breathe a little easier after the first 10 rounds.

The final year of college baseball staticstic for Ryan Galanie and Eric Rataczak are erriely similar. As we wonder about Tennessee's roster for 2025, who better to compare Eric Rataczak to than Ryan Galanie.

Eric Rataczak's 2024 stats at Niagara:

BA: 396
HR: 17
RBI's: 71
Hits: 88
Runs: 59

Ryan Galanie 2023 stats at Wofford:

BA: 383
HR: 17
RBI's: 66
Hits: 88
Runs: 73

Galanie was 23 years old and very transparent about going pro if drafted. Galanie of course, was drafted in the 13th round and became a professional player.

Eric Rataczak is 23 years old and has raved about the opportunity to play at Tennessee. In one article I read, he said Quentin Eberhardt was the deciding factor in committing to Tennessee. Apparently, he wants to work in the atheletic training and conditioning field after baseball. At least Rataczak has a solid plan B if MLB does not work out.

Based on age and precedent, Eric may not get drafted high enough to consider MLB a viable option. I hope he gets to do what makes him happy.

Last edited:
The leverage being mentioned is the option to return to school if the drafting team doesn't meet that player's dollar number he would like in order to pass up his last year(s) of eligibility.

This is why you will hear terms like "signability" mentioned in the draft process, and over slot (money paid to entice a player above his draft slot value) and under slot (lesser money paid to a player below his draft slot value). Some really talented high school kids will go undrafted until the 19th or 20th round because they are considered unsignable because they are hellbent on going to college. Teams are OK risking their last pick on a super talented player who may change his mind at the last minute. College kids with the option to return for their junior or senior years pose a similar risk, but they all have agents/advisors who will float their asking price out there and most clubs have a decent idea of who can be signed and who can't, especially at the top of the draft (first 5 rounds).

Seniors without eligibility to return to college have little leverage to try and bargain with teams outside of refusing to sign, playing international league ball, and then re-entering the draft the following year with even less leverage as they've aged a year.
Great explanation. Thanks.

For the Florida pitcher, Cade Fisher, yes. Not OM duo. VQ said Wake knocked it out of the park with Cade Fisher.
Too bad they can’t knock it out of the park in a postseason game.

That 4th place trophy from the Greenville regional probably looks pretty tough in their trophy case though — easy to see how that would make impression on recruits.

Thanks! I appreciate the detailed explanation.

This may be a stupid question, but if he shows up here and improves markedly over the course of the year, won't he be drafter higher just based on his ability regardless of leverage? Or are there so many comparable players that performance during any single year in college is largely ignored?

So like my previous post;

C: Peebles
1B: Rataczak
2B: Kilen
3B: Curley
SS: Antigua
LF:
CF: Ensley
RF: Fischer
DH: Bargo

Let the battle begin for LF. I’m putting Fischer in RF solely because I keep reading about his arm strength.

Reactions: HeadVol77
Thanks! I appreciate the detailed explanation.

This may be a stupid question, but if he shows up here and improves markedly over the course of the year, won't he be drafter higher just based on his ability regardless of leverage? Or are there so many comparable players that performance during any single year in college is largely ignored?
So, yes and no. He loses the leverage by not having the option to return, but the increased production/visibility/competition will make him more marketable and attractive. The downside is that the team that drafted him can lowball him on his slot value by attempting to pay him well under slot. Then it becomes a standoff to see who budges; the team or the player. As @cthvolsfan pointed out, the team loses that slot value from their signing pool if the player refuses to sign if drafted in the first 10 rounds, and also receives no draft pick compensation if drafted outside the top 2 rounds. So, rounds 3-10 are tricky for the team because they run risk of losing a valuable pick and the slot value from their salary pool for draft picks. That gives the player a little bit of leverage being drafted in those rounds because the loss for the team is threefold (lose the player, lose the pick, lose the draft slot dollar value). But the team also knows that the player has little leverage with no option to return to school, as well. Most often, they arrive at a compromise, but often it costs the players his first year in rookie ball or low-A while negotiations take place.

So like my previous post;

C: Peebles
1B: Rataczak
2B: Kilen
3B: Curley
SS: Antigua
LF:
CF: Ensley
RF: Fischer
DH: Bargo

Let the battle begin for LF. I’m putting Fischer in RF solely because I keep reading about his arm strength.
Chapman gotta be the favorite for one of the corner OF spots.
1. Rat (L)
2. Curley (R)
3. Fischer (L)
4. Ensley (R)
5. Kilen (L)
6. Peebles (S)
7. Chapman (L)
8. AA (R)
9. Bargo (L)

Kilen in the 5 hole is crazy lol but I’ve got Rat leadoff based off his OPS. Ridiculously stacked lineup

Reactions: HeadVol77

VN Store

Back