2024 Transfer Portal

The leverage being mentioned is the option to return to school if the drafting team doesn't meet that player's dollar number he would like in order to pass up his last year(s) of eligibility.

If a team drafts a kid in the first or second round and he doesnt sign, they get that pick back the following year, minus one slot (player is drafted with the #10 pick and doesn't sign, then the club gets the #11 pick the following year). If he is drafted outside of the top 2 rounds and then doesn't sign, the team gets no compensation.

This is why you will hear terms like "signability" mentioned in the draft process, and over slot (money paid to entice a player above his draft slot value) and under slot (lesser money paid to a player below his draft slot value). Some really talented high school kids will go undrafted until the 19th or 20th round because they are considered unsignable because they are hellbent on going to college. Teams are OK risking their last pick on a super talented player who may change his mind at the last minute. College kids with the option to return for their junior or senior years pose a similar risk, but they all have agents/advisors who will float their asking price out there and most clubs have a decent idea of who can be signed and who can't, especially at the top of the draft (first 5 rounds).

Seniors without eligibility to return to college have little leverage to try and bargain with teams outside of refusing to sign, playing international league ball, and then re-entering the draft the following year with even less leverage as they've aged a year.
Well said. I will also add that, at least in the higher rounds, most of these teams/kids have already negotiated a deal before they’re drafted. So if you see a guy projected second round and he is not drafted until very late or not at all, it’s because teams could not reach a deal with him. That’s what happened with Chase Burns.

These teams (mostly) have all the negotiating done before they officially draft the player. So if you see Anson Seibert drafted in the top 3-5 rounds, don’t hold your breath that he’s coming to UT. The fact he was drafted that high probably means that he came to terms with the team that drafted him before they drafted him. Now, if you see him slide into double digit rounds, that probably means asking price was too high, he was deemed unsignable, and someone is taking a flyer on him.

Chapman gotta be the favorite for one of the corner OF spots.
1. Rat (L)
2. Curley (R)
3. Fischer (L)
4. Ensley (R)
5. Kilen (L)
6. Peebles (S)
7. Chapman (L)
8. AA (R)
9. Bargo (L)

Kilen in the 5 hole is crazy lol but I’ve got Rat leadoff based off his OPS. Ridiculously stacked lineup
I wasn’t making the batting order.

Just showing a lineup

I think we’ve really got an “eye” on him doing big things. Haven’t seen or heard anything yet, but I hope they’re headed up to RuthsChris about now. If his parents are here too, then hopefully that’s a good sign.
I’m too stoned and too deep in sushi to comprehend this.

This good?

Reactions: HeadVol77
Depends on where he is drafted. If rounds 11-20 it’s most likely in 125k range since that is what wouldn’t count against the teams draft pool. Now I have no idea what NIL deals with baseball players at UT are like but I think I’ve seen some high school kids that skipped after being drafted and going to school instead because of their NIL at their schools. So if we have some deep waters for NIL for baseball there is a good chance we can beat 125k or more depending on where he’s drafted. Of course I haven’t looked to see where he is said to be drafted at. First 5 rounds and most likely gone, 5-10 prob 50/50 and after 10 good chance he comes to UT.

Depends on where he is drafted. If rounds 11-20 it’s most likely in 125k range since that is what wouldn’t count against the teams draft pool. Now I have no idea what NIL deals with baseball players at UT are like but I think I’ve seen some high school kids that skipped after being drafted and going to school instead because of their NIL at their schools. So if we have some deep waters for NIL for baseball there is a good chance we can beat 125k or more depending on where he’s drafted. Of course I haven’t looked to see where he is said to be drafted at. First 5 rounds and most likely gone, 5-10 prob 50/50 and after 10 good chance he comes to UT.
If he’s drafted, he should leave. He will have zero leverage next year. None. If he’s drafted Round 18 in 2024, he’ll make more money than he’d get in Round 10 in 2025. He has nothing to gain by coming to UT if he’s drafted and everything to lose.

NIL doesn’t make up for that.

VN Store

Back