2024 Transfer Portal

The issue is that if he comes here, has an incredible season, gets drafted next year…he 100% will be one of the guys that gets those disgustingly low, way below slot offers. Some teams, like the Angels, are predatory towards mid-round picks. They took a pitcher last year in the 9th round where the slot value was around $200k. They signed him for $1,000. He had no leverage…none. He had to take it or not sign and go play independent ball or something.
Exactly. This. If you get drafted and go back to school to use your last year of eligibility, you’re instantly losing money…no matter how you perform in that last year.

Our new-to-baseball fans don’t understand this concept.

Exactly. This. If you get drafted and go back to school to use your last year of eligibility, you’re instantly losing money…no matter how you perform in that last year.

Really asking because don’t know in this new age. Are you losing money if you go back to school and NIL pays you $200,000.

Really asking because don’t know in this new age. Are you losing money if you go back to school and NIL pays you $200,000.
A) $200k for one player is drastically overstating how much NIL money is going towards baseball. @preacherman20 has talked about this on this board in the past…it’s not as much as fans think. If a kid is worth $200k in NIL to a college collective, he’s probably going to make a lot more than that by signing.
B) NIL pays you for a year. We’re talking about multiple years in the pros.

I suppose it’s possible to use enough NIL to make that loss of MLB money worthwhile, but highly unlikely. The gamble wouldn’t be worth it.

Last edited:
A) $200k for one player is drastically overstating how much NIL money is going towards baseball. @preacherman20 has talked about this on this board in the past…it’s not as much as fans think. If a kid is worth $200k in NIL to a college collective, he’s probably going to make a lot more than that by signing.
B) NIL pays you for a year. We’re talking about multiple year contracts in the pros.

I suppose it’s possible to use enough NIL to make that loss of MLB money worthwhile, but highly unlikely. The gamble wouldn’t be worth it.
The 24 year old that was drafted 282 overall last year is getting paid a whopping $72,000.

The value for that slot is $173,000.

I think he could make that up in NIL. I also think playing well in the SEC could help him because again that Wegner kid fell off once he came into the SEC, and obviously his injury.

He spent just one season at Arkansas after transferring from Creighton. He slashed .313/.457/.673 for the season in 42 games. Those numbers dropped during SEC play, of which he missed about half because of injury, to .245/.403/.491.

B) NIL pays you for a year. We’re talking about multiple year contracts in the pros.

I don’t think their salaries change by forgoing a year of pro ball do they? Leverage shouldn’t and I don’t imagine it affects what they actually get paid in salary. I would think you’re only comparing the signing bonus potential to the NIL potential.

I guess if we’re throwing around that kind of money for baseball, it could be enticing, but I seriously don’t see TV allowing that…it already sucked life out of the culture once. Rat could make the $150k slot for bottom 10 rounds this year and have a shot to play pro baseball. If he waits, he’s probably getting a $5k deal, losing a year of pro development and earning potential. NIL has helped even the field for the players a little, but he still loses all control by not signing this year. He could always negotiate this year and still come back.

You don't have any leverage by getting drafted your junior year, either, because they know you would be worse off not taking the deal they're offering you then.

You don't have any leverage by getting drafted your junior year, either, because they know you would be worse off not taking the deal they're offering you then.
But you do have leverage in that you’re not in a take it or leave it situation. I understand what you’re saying, and it does make sense, but guys aren’t taking the $1k signing bonuses as juniors. That’s why guys that have been productive and have pro potential usually are gonna after their Jr season. They don’t really have anything to gain, but also don’t have to settle for the rotten signing bonuses teams offer. As a Sr with no eligibility left, you really don’t have options. If a team really believes in a guy’s potential, he might make out ok, yet more than likely, a guy like Gilainie or Rat is losing out on at least $100k by going back for another season.

The issue is that if he comes here, has an incredible season, gets drafted next year…he 100% will be one of the guys that gets those disgustingly low, way below slot offers. Some teams, like the Angels, are predatory towards mid-round picks. They took a pitcher last year in the 9th round where the slot value was around $200k. They signed him for $1,000. He had no leverage…none. He had to take it or not sign and go play independent ball or something.
First, I’d rather play independent ball and make Angels waste that pick than sign, they have terrible ownership and that guy must have really really wanted to play pro ball and took all his leverage away, teams can’t waste picks there just isn’t many rounds now days compared to before. So seniors have more leverage than they ever had before, which might not be a lot, but with fewer rounds and pools now for international signees teams need the bodies to fill the minors. So if he can get a really good deal with NIL he could make draft bonus money irrelevant and depending on which organization he prob gets better coaching, surrounded by coeds with a great nutrition and strength department surrounding him. Of course at this point who knows what will happen

Reactions: BillyHoyleVol
But you do have leverage in that you’re not in a take it or leave it situation. I understand what you’re saying, and it does make sense, but guys aren’t taking the $1k signing bonuses as juniors. That’s why guys that have been productive and have pro potential usually are gonna after their Jr season. They don’t really have anything to gain, but also don’t have to settle for the rotten signing bonuses teams offer. As a Sr with no eligibility left, you really don’t have options. If a team really believes in a guy’s potential, he might make out ok, yet more than likely, a guy like Gilainie or Rat is losing out on at least $100k by going back for another season.
You don’t know that unless you know what he’s going to get with NIL, so do you know what he’s getting? Rat is not a first 10 round pick most likely, which means he’s a set draft amount unless the team believes enough in him to take away from their own draft pool to sign for more.

So what do you think happens here? Where do you think he gets drafted and how much do you think his signing bonus ends up? I mean to say he loses at least 100k is pretty presumptuous since A-you have no idea what kind of NIL deal he would make here B-you have no idea he wants to be a pro baseball player and not become a coach instead. NIL has changed the game with all sports, we have seen sr studs at all sports come back and play when they really could have went pro and in some cases those were millions sitting on the line and in Gillianes case and Rats were aren’t talking millions.

Not new to baseball and sure as hell not new to MLB draft or hell J2 international signings also. NIL has changed the game for all college sports, now maybe baseball isn’t a huge NIL player, but I have a big feeling that with UT just winning the national title there is going to be a good amount of NIL money rolling in and Tony isn’t going to turn that down he’s going to try and get it spread across more players and not just a few. Still doesn’t mean the top players aren’t going to get their cut. Also Minor league baseball sucks and although taken over by MLB and raised the salary for a minor leaguer isn’t all that much so the bonus or in some cases NIL would make all the difference. As far as development, quite a few colleges are very good at developing their players, some are prob better (cough, cough Rockies, A’s). He would be smart to negotiate after he gets drafted and if it’s with a crappy team with not very good development of their players he goes to UT, if good like Dodgers, Houston and Rays he goes pro and takes his 150k. Also I haven’t ever heard it yet, but are NIL’s being taxed as heavily as pro contracts are? Because I know in pro baseball you have to pay a % each year of money you make to states in which you play that have an income tax, not sure it’s the same with NIL money.

Reactions: BruisedOrange

Fwiw, drafted players aren't signing "multiple year contracts". They get a signing bonus and then play for peanuts until called up. Based on last years signings, very few guys are breaking $200K outside of the top 4 rounds.

I don’t think their salaries change by forgoing a year of pro ball do they? Leverage shouldn’t and I don’t imagine it affects what they actually get paid in salary. I would think you’re only comparing the signing bonus potential to the NIL potential.
Right. But the point is, without those bonuses, they’re playing for basically nothing on a minor league salary.

Fwiw, drafted players aren't signing "multiple year contracts". They get a signing bonus and then play for peanuts until called up. Based on last years signings, very few guys are breaking $200K outside of the top 4 rounds.
Right. Poorly worded. I meant that we’re considering multiple years (a player’s pro career) rather than one year of NIL. The one year of NIL (which will not be $200k) doesn’t make up for what he will lose in the pros.

Let’s not forget that the primary value of NIL in baseball is to cover the tuition/board that isn’t covered by scholarships because baseball is stuck at 11.7 for 35 spots.

Maybe we should start a separate thread to talk about draft value vs. NIL and all that? I don't think it's too off topic to remain here, but it seems like it might be better served to have its own thread if it's going to keep being discussed this much. Or moved into the draft thread.

Not trying to be the thread police or anything, because I do think it's on topic enough for this thread. Just saying that it's been a constant topic for a few pages now.

Not new to baseball and sure as hell not new to MLB draft or hell J2 international signings also. NIL has changed the game for all college sports, now maybe baseball isn’t a huge NIL player, but I have a big feeling that with UT just winning the national title there is going to be a good amount of NIL money rolling in and Tony isn’t going to turn that down he’s going to try and get it spread across more players and not just a few. Still doesn’t mean the top players aren’t going to get their cut. Also Minor league baseball sucks and although taken over by MLB and raised the salary for a minor leaguer isn’t all that much so the bonus or in some cases NIL would make all the difference. As far as development, quite a few colleges are very good at developing their players, some are prob better (cough, cough Rockies, A’s). He would be smart to negotiate after he gets drafted and if it’s with a crappy team with not very good development of their players he goes to UT, if good like Dodgers, Houston and Rays he goes pro and takes his 150k. Also I haven’t ever heard it yet, but are NIL’s being taxed as heavily as pro contracts are? Because I know in pro baseball you have to pay a % each year of money you make to states in which you play that have an income tax, not sure it’s the same with NIL money.
I think the biggest difference we’ll see with NIL is more high school guys attending college instead of going straight to the minors, for the reasons you mention. Unless a kid just hates school.

NIL might convince a few college guys to come back for another year, but not many, IMO. Draft eligible sophomores would seem to be the best candidates because they can come back and still have a year of leverage. We’ll see what Dreiling does, but there’s very little indication he’ll be back.

VN Store

Back