2024 Transfer Portal

A) $200k for one player is drastically overstating how much NIL money is going towards baseball. @preacherman20 has talked about this on this board in the past…it’s not as much as fans think. If a kid is worth $200k in NIL to a college collective, he’s probably going to make a lot more than that by signing.
B) NIL pays you for a year. We’re talking about multiple years in the pros.

I suppose it’s possible to use enough NIL to make that loss of MLB money worthwhile, but highly unlikely. The gamble wouldn’t be worth it.
In other words, it's best to shut down all devices and avoid watching the dismembering of our roster by MLB from Sun to Tuesday.

You don’t know that unless you know what he’s going to get with NIL, so do you know what he’s getting? Rat is not a first 10 round pick most likely, which means he’s a set draft amount unless the team believes enough in him to take away from their own draft pool to sign for more.

So what do you think happens here? Where do you think he gets drafted and how much do you think his signing bonus ends up? I mean to say he loses at least 100k is pretty presumptuous since A-you have no idea what kind of NIL deal he would make here B-you have no idea he wants to be a pro baseball player and not become a coach instead. NIL has changed the game with all sports, we have seen sr studs at all sports come back and play when they really could have went pro and in some cases those were millions sitting on the line and in Gillianes case and Rats were aren’t talking millions.
It’s not that serious, man. I want him to come play here, too…but to ignore the fact that common sense and years of history point towards a guy like him being best served signing as a Jr would be silly. TV got heated talking about portal guys with their hands out asking for more, more, more. He also talked about how that kind of thing poisoned the locker room in ‘23 (the Ahuna situation). Now, factor in that years and years of history and knowledge tell us that guys like Rat who get drafted with no leverage usually sign significantly below slot contracts and often times are kind of stuck signing those rotten, laughable ones. Why is it so frustrating that some people aren’t shying away from the fact that guys like this usually go as Jrs?

A) $200k for one player is drastically overstating how much NIL money is going towards baseball. @preacherman20 has talked about this on this board in the past…it’s not as much as fans think. If a kid is worth $200k in NIL to a college collective, he’s probably going to make a lot more than that by signing.
B) NIL pays you for a year. We’re talking about multiple years in the pros.

I suppose it’s possible to use enough NIL to make that loss of MLB money worthwhile, but highly unlikely. The gamble wouldn’t be worth it.

In the comparative analysis I have seen, I see no valuation of a degree to combine with NIL on that side of the ledger. Seems a bit short sighted. With the odds of making it to the bigs what they are, Especially for all but the very early draft picks, gotta believe the smart ones factor it in.

Reactions: volsfan_17
In other words, it's best to shut down all devices and avoid watching the dismembering of our roster by MLB from Sun to Tuesday.
Yep, especially if you are not smart enough to understand that the staff knows it is a yield driven process and will not be approaching bridge edges when the expected happens. I am sure we will ALL have to endure EEYORE lamentations about the staff shortcomings. OH JOY!

My approach is, if any of our guys go in the top 10-12 rounds, I assume they are signing to go pro. That way if they end up on campus, I’m absolutely thrilled. For instance, Chase Burns announcing he was not signing in ‘21 was euphoric.

Go listen to the Diamond Vols Podcast from 247 they put out yesterday. Joe Doyle actually seemed optimistic that Rataczak and some of our better HS signees would make it to campus. McKee has said that some of them have high asking prices and are willing to come to college if that price isn’t met.

Go listen to the Diamond Vols Podcast from 247 they put out yesterday. Joe Doyle actually seemed optimistic that Rataczak and some of our better HS signees would make it to campus. McKee has said that some of them have high asking prices and are willing to come to college if that price isn’t met.
If Rat makes it in, our lineup is going to be filthy. Opposing pitchers will have their hands full.

Yep. From these comments, sounds like Levi Clark is nearly a lock to be on campus next season:

Catcher Levi Clark from Marietta, Ga. (No. 35 overall player; No. 4 overall catcher)
"This team is electric. Watching them and their fan base, it felt like it was only a matter of time. I was pumped up watching my future teammates win a National Championship. It's an honor to come into a program with so much talent and I'm excited to see where the program is headed."

Yep. From these comments, sounds like Levi Clark is nearly a lock to be on campus next season:

Catcher Levi Clark from Marietta, Ga. (No. 35 overall player; No. 4 overall catcher)
"This team is electric. Watching them and their fan base, it felt like it was only a matter of time. I was pumped up watching my future teammates win a National Championship. It's an honor to come into a program with so much talent and I'm excited to see where the program is headed."

It behooves him to feign as if he is a legitimate threat to make it to campus while negotiating with teams as he floats his price tag. Hopefully, he is genuinely interested in making it to Tennessee, but don't believe much talk like this until the draft passes and they show up on campus.

That can also be gamesmanship to get more money from the draft. Agents will coach these kids to do what's in their best interest. More money is always in their best interest.

In the comparative analysis I have seen, I see no valuation of a degree to combine with NIL on that side of the ledger. Seems a bit short sighted. With the odds of making it to the bigs what they are, Especially for all but the very early draft picks, gotta believe the smart ones factor it in.
Your user name has be curious. Are you from Alabama?

Pretty sure the kid that signed with the Angels played at a Division 2 school and then JUCO prior to that. Never played against D1 competition.

I’d say that also had something to do with it.

I mean, he has a 20.25 ERA currently in the minors, so.

VN Store

Back