2024 Transfer Portal

That can also be gamesmanship to get more money from the draft. Agents will coach these kids to do what's in their best interest. More money is always in their best interest.
It works both ways too. MLB teams tell a kid they plan on drafting him in x round and offer him way above slot. Then on draft day they call and say their plans have changed and they reduce their offer a whole bunch. So kid tells them he will go the college route instead and doesn't get drafted. Saw that happen a lot last year.

Right. But the point is, without those bonuses, they’re playing for basically nothing on a minor league salary.
Exactly so if an NIL deal is comparable to better than the signing bonus he’s not forfeiting anything financially other than a year of pro ball and the $40k salary, potentially. If the combined signing bonus and salary are just say $140k and you get that in NIL for 1 year you’re no worse off financially. That may be rich from an NIL perspective but I will say a UF 247 guy said on their board yesterday that BA got $200k and Peebs got $75k for coming here. I’m not taking it as gospel but BA did come down to us and UF so the 247 guy may have an idea of what UF presented to him and extrapolated out that if he signed with UT he must’ve gotten more. IF those kinds of values are out there then it’s competing with rounds 8-10. Now a guy below round 10 isn’t getting that from the draft so he’s not likely worth that at the NIL level either.

Exactly so if an NIL deal is comparable to better than the signing bonus he’s not forfeiting anything financially other than a year of pro ball and the $40k salary, potentially. If the combined signing bonus and salary are just say $140k and you get that in NIL for 1 year you’re no worse off financially. That may be rich from an NIL perspective but I will say a UF 247 guy said on their board yesterday that BA got $200k and Peebs got $75k for coming here. I’m not taking it as gospel but BA did come down to us and UF so the 247 guy may have an idea of what UF presented to him and extrapolated out that if he signed with UT he must’ve gotten more. IF those kinds of values are out there then it’s competing with rounds 8-10. Now a guy below round 10 isn’t getting that from the draft so he’s not likely worth that at the NIL level either.
It will be interesting to see how much of an impact winning the NC has on NIL for UT baseball. The sport as a whole is exploding in popularity and of course, in no place is it growing more in popularity than in Big Orange Country. We know LSU has no problem buying an All Star team out of the portal. It might be that some UT boosters start to see baseball as our showcase sport.

Tanner Wiggins RH pitcher from Weatherford JUCO has the potential to be a great closer for Tennessee baseball in 2025.
With his electric 98 mph heater, Prep Baseball JUCO Wire : Top 100 had Tanner listed as the #3 JUCO pitcher at midsesson. Tennessee commit Austin Breedlove was listed at #21 and Tennessee commit Thomas Crabtree was listed at #36.

Tanner who is 6'6" finished the season with a 1.50 ERA in 25.1 innings pitched with 32 strikeouts.

Your user name has be curious. Are you from Alabama?
Not anymore! Did live in Guntersville for 14 years and one of the system changes in
Gridscape required more characters than my AMaVOL name so there you have it.

In 2006 returned to God’s country, 7 miles from campus just in Blount County south of the river.

Not anymore! Did live in Guntersville for 14 years and one of the system changes in
Gridscape required more characters than my AMaVOL name so there you have it.

In 2006 returned to God’s country, 7 miles from campus just in Blount County south of the river.
Nice! I grew up in Albertville and just knew that had to stand for that! I’m holding it down for us down in this area.

Nice! I grew up in Albertville and just knew that had to stand for that! I’m holding it down for us down in this area.
I lived a 7 iron from the GHS 50 yard line backed up to the TVA contour. Great place to raise high school aged kids. Down side was in state tuition directed my girls to AU, one has since moved back there. Definitely more palatable than having Bama grads.

Last edited:
I think the biggest difference we’ll see with NIL is more high school guys attending college instead of going straight to the minors, for the reasons you mention. Unless a kid just hates school.

NIL might convince a few college guys to come back for another year, but not many, IMO. Draft eligible sophomores would seem to be the best candidates because they can come back and still have a year of leverage. We’ll see what Dreiling does, but there’s very little indication he’ll be back.
I would think DD gets above slot value for the “double leverage” he has being a SO. I think he can improve his draft stock by coming back and potentially wind up in the 40-60 range pretty easily but risking a guaranteed $1M-$1.5M is that; a big risk. If he was to sustain a serious injury he might never see that kind of money again.

I would think DD gets above slot value for the “double leverage” he has being a SO. I think he can improve his draft stock by coming back and potentially wind up in the 40-60 range pretty easily but risking a guaranteed $1M-$1.5M is that; a big risk. If he was to sustain a serious injury he might never see that kind of money again.
Kid needs to take the money. I love him and would love for him to stay but it’s not good business for him. Let him be a legendary former Vol and enjoy being a current professional baseball player. 😀

VN Store

Back