2024 Transfer Portal

Wake? Lol. Don’t understand the infatuation with that pitching lab.
Hasn’t worked too well for Hartle. Here’s some good material to use when recruiting against Wake; MLB draft write up on Hartle:

“Once considered a lock to be at least a No. 4 starter in the big leagues with the upside of a No. 2, he now has scouts trying to figure out what happened and whether it can be fixed.”

Even taking my orange tinted glasses off, I can't see why a pitcher would choose LSU over UT (other than money). They have underperformed with so much talent since Johnson has been there. Skenes is not human, so he doesn't count. He did the majority of his developing on his own.

Even taking my orange tinted glasses off, I can't see why a pitcher would choose LSU over UT (other than money). They have underperformed with so much talent since Johnson has been there. Skenes is not human, so he doesn't count. He did the majority of his developing on his own.

Hard to say “Skenes doesn’t count” when LSU can reasonably argue that they helped him add 7 MPH to his fastball and made him the #1 overall pick.

I’m not saying they are 100% responsible for all of that, but they are undoubtedly using that pitch in the portal and it’s a pretty easy sales pitch to make. You can’t just pick and choose which players count and which don’t lol.

Hard to say “Skenes doesn’t count” when LSU can reasonably argue that they helped him add 7 MPH to his fastball and made him the #1 overall pick.

I’m not saying they are 100% responsible for all of that, but they are undoubtedly using that pitch in the portal and it’s a pretty easy sales pitch to make. You can’t just pick and choose which players count and which don’t lol.
Dammit @TheMookieMonster … I was buying what @Vols330 was selling… 🧐

I know most of his trainers and all of them would say he rarely did any training with LSU. It was all mostly side work.

Except Wes Johnson developed him, and Wes Johnson is in Athens, GA now.

Right. Poorly worded. I meant that we’re considering multiple years (a player’s pro career) rather than one year of NIL. The one year of NIL (which will not be $200k) doesn’t make up for what he will lose in the pros.

Let’s not forget that the primary value of NIL in baseball is to cover the tuition/board that isn’t covered by scholarships because baseball is stuck at 11.7 for 35 spots.
That was sorta my point, though.

Why are we considering multiple years of pro ball? With the exception of the signing bonus, everything else is a wash.

Do you have evidence signing earlier leads to expedited time in the minors? If that evidence exists, it's likely bc guys who sign earlier are often more talented... which naturally leads to faster progress through the organization.

Fwiw, I'm not suggesting NIL will play a big role either way. If underclassmen get drafted inside the top 10 rounds, they'll most likely go. If juniors get their name called, they'll probably go. It's been like this for years, and I can't imagine NIL will factor in all that much.

So it seems Arvidsson may be the last add to the roster (if we can land him). Eyanson appears to be headed to LSU and Fisher seems like he’s leaning to Wake. And, as McKee pointed out, we’re getting to the point where we may be about full on roster spots. Especially with the possibility that we won’t lose as many of our recruits to the pros as initially anticipated. We need room for all of these guys. Great problem to have.

If we can land Arvidsson, keep one of Seibert/Kuhns, Levi Clark, and 2 of the 4 big time SS signees who are high draft projections, that’s ideal. And it sends us into 2025 with all kinds of talent/competition at every spot.

So it seems Arvidsson may be the last add to the roster (if we can land him). Eyanson appears to be headed to LSU and Fisher seems like he’s leaning to Wake. And, as McKee pointed out, we’re getting to the point where we may be about full on roster spots. Especially with the possibility that we won’t lose as many of our recruits to the pros as initially anticipated. We need room for all of these guys. Great problem to have.

If we can land Arvidsson, keep one of Seibert/Kuhns, Levi Clark, and 2 of the 4 big time SS signees who are high draft projections, that’s ideal. And it sends us into 2025 with all kinds of talent/competition at every spot.
Yup.

Arvidson, then see where things fall during the draft. If we lose more than we accounted for, we hit the portal again. If not, we’re ready to roll next season.

Maybe it's more effective to point out that he's an outlier, rather than saying he doesn't count. Yes, their best player in the Johnson era performed measurably better at LSU, and after, than before he arrived. However, one player getting better doesn't demonstrate development competence or prowess. He appears to be the outlier from a development standpoint. That isn't picking and choosing, that's a valid observation.

If Anson makes it to campus, he’s going to be our best pitcher sooner than later. Being 6’8 throwing 96+ gonna look 130mph when his stride is half way to the plate.
Joe Doyle- covers the draft for Future Stars- on the 247 podcast yesterday said he expects him and the other highly rated pitcher to make it to campus.

VN Store

Back