2024 Transfer Portal

Even taking my orange tinted glasses off, I can't see why a pitcher would choose LSU over UT (other than money). They have underperformed with so much talent since Johnson has been there. Skenes is not human, so he doesn't count. He did the majority of his developing on his own.
They’ve had 3 pitching coaches in 3 years as well because the first 2 got HC jobs. Probably a little tough to develop consistently when mechanics, strategy, etc is changing year to year based on your coach.

I get where you’re going, but you do understand that next year first base, second base, third base, left field, and right field and catcher could be portal guys for us. +2 of our top three pitchers.
We very well could, but my guess is we will have a few players breakout of nowhere. It seems to happen every year under Tony. Plus the #1 recruiting class in the country coming in.

I’m not a fan of Johnson , he seems like a whiner to me , I hope Tony never has to bring in 10 transfer guys in one year , I like watching our young guys grow up and use the portal to fill in a few gaps
A much more solid plan before whole world is free to transfer at Will edict. Get the best you can where you can has to be the new objective.

I get where you’re going, but you do understand that next year first base, second base, third base, left field, and right field and catcher could be portal guys for us. +2 of our top three pitchers.
Do you have any info on how many position players and arms the staff is pursuing with fervor and a belief they are truly attainable? Not sure HOW you keep attacking BEFORE the MLB draft is done and roster spots are pretty well defined. Hoping for a few pass on the draft surprises with a good mix to fit needs.

I know Peebles , Bargo and Snead were transfers but I look at multi years transfers a bit different than 1 year transfers , I think Tony and staff have handled the portal pretty good the last few years , I think the three position players all have really good numbers and will be big for next year , maybe we grab one more pitcher and roll with that

I've yet to figure out completely how I feel about the portal. It is a huge part of recruiting. The portal is no different than bringing in freshmen out of HS, juco guys or any others.
I don't get that most UT fans hated Chase for going to WF and yet they don't feel the same about Dallas. I think if you don't like players that don't stay then it should be the same no matter where they go and when they go and how much they played. Mine is if you are not happy here, then go. I won't cheer for you but I probably won't cheer against you either unless we play you. I like the portal from the extent that many get somewhere and realize they made a mistake and don't have to just live with their choice.

I've yet to figure out completely how I feel about the portal. It is a huge part of recruiting. The portal is no different than bringing in freshmen out of HS, juco guys or any others.
I don't get that most UT fans hated Chase for going to WF and yet they don't feel the same about Dallas. I think if you don't like players that don't stay then it should be the same no matter where they go and when they go and how much they played. Mine is if you are not happy here, then go. I won't cheer for you but I probably won't cheer against you either unless we play you. I like the portal from the extent that many get somewhere and realize they made a mistake and don't have to just live with their choice.
I agree, but for some reason, some of the transfers just feel different and hurt the fans a little more. Henry T and Chase being 2 of the ones that come to mind that got folks crazy. I think Jonas in basketball might get close...

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I agree, but for some reason, some of the transfers just feel different and hurt the fans a little more. Henry T and Chase being 2 of the ones that come to mind that got folks crazy. I think Jonas in basketball might get close...
Chase and Henry were different situations. Chase just had an amazing recovery to his year and helped guide us to Omaha and a massive win against Stanford. Everyone could see the fire he was playing with and the realization of his potential. It hurt because everyone knew what we were losing and that the development seemed to be happening. It felt painful to be rejected when (to outside perception) we seemed to be a great fit to help each other.

Henry's decision was about going to a hated rival, but anyone with any sense could see that it was a reasonable decision; but fans aren't reasonable (per their very definition) and they were hurt.

It all worked out in both cases. Vols got some revenge on Henry and in baseball achieved their goals without Chase; both kids got what they wanted too.

Dallas is a matter of someone not even making the travel roster for the post-season making a decision for his own career. No harm there. I wish the kid luck and hope he finds a way to achieve his goals. Sometimes a change of environment is needed and perhaps our culture wasn't for him. The other two guys had been in the culture a while and flourished so it was more of a head scratcher.

Each one is different though. I don't hate any of the players no matter what. I understand why a player would leave if they were riding the pine or don't like the team chemistry, or don't fit in.

The CB saga seemed out of place. As fans we don't the true story but, he left when most thought that the team really needed him for 2024. It appeared from the outside that he left for selfish reasons. As it turned out the Vols did fine without him. I would argue we would have been better with him. He didn't hurt himself by leaving because he still performed at a high level.

Some of the ones that transferred this year didn't cause distractions that the fans were aware of, they just went on to greener pastures from their perspective. You can be unhappy with your situation, just don't be a cancer to the team. You signed up to play for said team. Try your best to help the team outcome and move on at the end of year, thank everyone for opportunity and try again at your next landing spot if things don't work out.

Last edited:
I think fans are pretty simple and sometimes we give them (aka ourselves) too much credit for deep thought. If there is a player that we think can excel and therefore help our team, we expect them to stay and if they don't (HT, Chase, etc) then we portray them consciously or subconsciously as traitors and react accordingly. If, on the other hand, we think they won't be key contributors, then we are understanding, wish them the best, etc.

Basically the difference between the nicest, hottest girl in school walking away mid conversation versus being ignored by a malcontent troll(ette).

Tennessee baseball's first portal commitment in 2024 came from 6' 5" Tanner Franklin a RH pitcher from Kennesaw State.

Tanner, originally from Jefferson City, Tennessee, is the second portal commit that has talked about Tennessee's commitment and search to find high character players. Eric Rataczak indicated that some programs that recruited him asked his adviser only about the amount of NIL it would take for him to forego the draft. Tennessee brought Eric on campus to find out who he was. Character was important to both players.

In 2024, Tanner's ERA was 5.60 with 44 strikeouts in 27 plus innings. His walks were high at 27 but his fastball routinely clocks at 99 mph. Several schools contacted Tanner to include Vanderbildt but Tennessee was always #1 on his wish list.

If Nate Snead becomes a weekend starter look for Franklin as a potential closer, if he can gets his walks issued under control.

I will say that a lot of the Chase stuff, according to several players I talked to, were exaggerated. I think a few people blew it out of proportion that he was a cancer in the dugout. He gave his all for this team the entire time he was here, even if he was not completely happy. I could see if he had not given us everything he had and was pouting but he was a key part of us getting to Omaha. He gave it all until the season was done then he made, what he thought was the best decision for him, even though many did not agree. But being very close to him. I know the true story and he was not the cancer that a few are saying and everyone is buying into. He was strong for us. I didn't think it was best for him but they should have their choices.

With Burns, I think it was the idea and belief that he was a malcontent behind closed doors. Whether that is actually true or not, you'd probably know better than most, but that won't likely stop others from believing he was a cancer in the locker room and put himself above the team. It also helps them to cope with the idea of him choosing somewhere else over Tennessee after having had success here.

In contrast, no one likely got that impression from Dallas, amd he didnt make much of an impact in his time, so his leaving seemed a little more amicable and peaceable.

Tennessee baseball's first portal commitment in 2024 came from 6' 5" Tanner Franklin a RH pitcher from Kennesaw State.

Tanner, originally from Jefferson City, Tennessee, is the second portal commit that has talked about Tennessee's commitment and search to find high character players. Eric Rataczak indicated that some programs that recruited him asked his adviser only about the amount of NIL it would take for him to forego the draft. Tennessee brought Eric on campus to find out who he was. Character was important to both players.

In 2024, Tanner's ERA was 5.60 with 44 strikeouts in 27 plus innings. His walks were high at 27 but his fastball routinely clocks at 99 mph. Several schools contacted Tanner to include Vanderbildt but Tennessee was always #1 on his wish list.

If Nate Snead becomes a weekend starter look for Franklin as a potential closer, if he can gets his walks issued under control.
If Frank can't get it his seemingly control issue worked through and improved, he probably won't be getting much mound time. FA don't play when it comes to base on balls. Same thing for Marcus Phillips. Absolutely electric fastball for Marcus but hasn't developed a solid #2 pitch. Hope they both get it figured out as that would be a fantastic couple of BP arms!!

I will say that a lot of the Chase stuff, according to several players I talked to, were exaggerated. I think a few people blew it out of proportion that he was a cancer in the dugout. He gave his all for this team the entire time he was here, even if he was not completely happy. I could see if he had not given us everything he had and was pouting but he was a key part of us getting to Omaha. He gave it all until the season was done then he made, what he thought was the best decision for him, even though many did not agree. But being very close to him. I know the true story and he was not the cancer that a few are saying and everyone is buying into. He was strong for us. I didn't think it was best for him but they should have their choices.
Thanks for that. Chase did have a fire when he pitched. That's why the rumors were hard to understand. In the end, he made is decision and everyone has lived happily ever after. It's like your kids, you can't make the decisions for them, you have to let them make them on their own. Even if we think we know what's best for them.

Most, including myself, took McKee at face value on his alluding to Burns being an issue. I still think he was right with most of what he said, but he probably was speaking more from a coaches perspective than a players. The way he handled everything probably left a bad taste in coaches mouths moreso than players.

Reactions: drylo
I’m not a fan of Johnson , he seems like a whiner to me , I hope Tony never has to bring in 10 transfer guys in one year , I like watching our young guys grow up and use the portal to fill in a few gaps
Jay Johnson’s good. I like him as a coach, I just don’t like where he’s coaching. Every time I’ve heard him speak, I never got that impression of a whining attitude.

Honestly, the only coaches in the SEC that I dont like on personality alone are Snakey Schloss and Corbin. Sully, DVH, Johnson.. I like them all fine.

Reactions: Cosmo Kramer
Yeah, what do people think he’s going to say?
“Yeah, it’s cool and stuff, ya know what I mean, but uhh, I really don’t plan on wasting any time with school and stuff, ya know what I mean.
I mean the fan base is cool and coach Vitello is incredible, ya know what I’m sayin, but I mean, I just don’t think I can pass up a chance to livebout my dream, ya know what I mean.
I mean, respect my decision, ya know what I mean.

Reactions: knoxvol52
I never once thought he was a cancer and agree that he played hard and gave his all, I just think he made a bad decision.
And that is me being extremely selfish as a fan of the guys wearing orange, because obviously the kid is about to get paid very well, to play baseball.
I really wish we got to celebrate a national championship with him and he with us.

Yeah, what do people think he’s going to say?
“Yeah, it’s cool and stuff, ya know what I mean, but uhh, I really don’t plan on wasting any time with school and stuff, ya know what I mean.
I mean the fan base is cool and coach Vitello is incredible, ya know what I’m sayin, but I mean, I just don’t think I can pass up a chance to livebout my dream, ya know what I mean.
I mean, respect my decision, ya know what I mean.
This was supposed to be in response to what Levi Clark said, and us thinking he makes it to Knoxville next season.

VN Store

Back